No announcement yet.

Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it has something to do with idle control. Went through realoem and could not find it ether. I know I have seen it mentioned on R3V but I just cant remember where.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

^ You are correct, it is the idle control valve.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Bosch unit number: 0 280 140 545
        List price: $292.03

Fits a number of bmw cars.. theres like 3 different ones between the model years. Give me the year and I can tell you which one you need.
        Work We Do
        CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
        http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Small new toy. Thanks James!
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

You're welcome. Now put it in the car :)
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

crawled under the 2002 today for the first time after parking it months ago after the trans gave out. I found whats wrong...

Not quite sure what happened but the gear selector rod is WAY bent and there is something scraping at the drive shaft.
              sigpic

Comment

The bent piece in the pic is not the selector rod, it is just the support arm for the shift carrier. The bottom of your shift lever is what is scraping the driveshaft, it sits very close to the driveshaft even with a straight support arm. Perhaps when your guibo band broke and flew off it bent the arm a little and more driving and shifting bent it further until it was touching?
                Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                  The bent piece in the pic is not the selector rod, it is just the support arm for the shift carrier. The bottom of your shift lever is what is scraping the driveshaft, it sits very close to the driveshaft even with a straight support arm. Perhaps when your guibo band broke and flew off it bent the arm a little and more driving and shifting bent it further until it was touching?
                  Good thinking, but I got under the car to check for that after the bad broke. Nothing.
                  The shifting on this car has been weird ever sins I bought it and I just was to lazy to do anything about it. Maybe the support arm got loose and the whole shifter carrier came down on the drive shaft? Possible? I really did not get a good look and the picture sucks. I just barrowed my land lords jack and lift the car up a few inches on the street.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well I scored a few little somethings today to take care of my steering box problems. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and doing some mental drawings (I am a very visual thinker) and I think I can make this work. I picked up a steering rack from a 318ti sport (same ratio as a e36 M3), and I think i scored a e30 steering column with a key. I know what people are thinking... Isn't the e30/e36 steering rack in front of the sub frame and the 2002 steering linkage behind the sub frame, hows it going to work? Well I think with the right welding and fab skills I can get the e36 rack to mount to the back of my sub frame. Then all I need to do is fiddle around with the length of the steering arm off the bottom of the strut housings. Should be fun. if I can not get it to work I can always sell it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep just bought a steering column. Good times. By the time I am done this car is going to be 50/50 my two favorite BMW's lol
                      sigpic

Comment

The rack is not going to work. I did not remember that on the e30/e36 the steering rack connects to the front of the strut assembly, where as on the 2002 it connects to the back of the strut assembly. How ever a e21 steering rack will work because it bolts up to the strut assemblies in the same way that the stock steering system on the 2002 does. So I need a e21 steering rack.
                        e30/e36

2002 w/ e30/e36 rack
                        sigpic

Comment

If you flipped the rack upside-down it would work...
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                            If you flipped the rack upside-down it would work...
                            And be right hand drive.
                            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              And be right hand drive.
                              lololol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

You could buy a right hand drive rack from England and flip that the wrong way around and it would work but the steering column would be pointing towards the front of the car :shock:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X