Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's update!
    I got the steering wheel mount finished, and one of the drivers seat cross bars welded into the car. I also spent some time fiddling with my motor and just futsing around with stuff.

Tomorrow I am going to finish weld the steering rack support to the frame, weld some reinforcement back into the brake booster mounts, and close up the fire wall, and then paint it all. That way I can get the motor in place on Tuesday. :)
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Did some more work today. I got my ear support fabricated and welded in place (still waiting on the aluminum rad from Summit to come in...), got the oil cooler mounted up, and closed up the gaping hole around the steering column. I think we are going to start test fitting the engine and trans tomorrow. I'm excited for that!

I riveted a piece of rubber tube under the oil cooler to keep it from clacking around and scraping the paint off the frame rail.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Did not get much done today. We were going to try and get the engine in the car but it turns out I do not have the right bolts for the trans to bolt to the block. So Blunt is sending them my way tomorrow. Until they show up we are kind of dead in the water. I have a few small things to do hear and there but not much till that dam motor is in.
        I did get this in the mail today. 22" wide by 19" high aluminum dual core radiator. It should keep the m20 frosty.

We did get the fly wheel on along with new rear main seals and a pilot bearing.

I got the diff mounted up and filled with fluid as well but everyone has seen that done before so no pictures.
        sigpic

Comment

Awesome, the amount of craftsmanship and custom work is awesome, still can't wait to see this finished up :D

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

great work!
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate that! My friend and I have been working 7-8 hours days (me ever day him most days) sins the first of this month. I hope the time we are putting into this build ends up showing in the end. I think it will.
              Next time I build a car I want a plasma cutter, real welding table, drill press, and a blasting cabinet. Oh, and my own work space so that I can work at my own pace with out being asked when I will be done every day. lol
              sigpic

Comment

Stop being so sad about the bolts!

Today we also got the steering rack mount, the radiator support and the steering column supports painted, stripped the rust and paint from the very front of the car (90% ready for paint) and got the shortened pitman arms mounted to the subframe. Almost a 100% rust free car, just a spot near the windshield and a few nicks on the body.

Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Well lots of disappointment today. The pilot bearing is the wrong size, so we are kind of dead in the water for a while.
                  sigpic

Comment

A song for all those engine swapped cars with E30 steering columns, E21 steering racks, 318 transmissions, LSD's made from 2 different cars and Volvo brakes to stop it all :)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Got a few small things done today. Still waiting on my dam pilot bearing to show up at the door.
                      I got the passenger seat rails all welded in, painted and installed the gas tank with the 318i fuel pump and Auto Meter fuel level censor, I got the fire wall all patched up with the brake master cylinder, and fit the exhaust a bit.

sigpic

Comment

The exhaust looks killer.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                        This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

Watching, love builds like this. Great work

My VW build page - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ic-intensive-)
                          SELL ME YOUR E30 IN ARIZONA!!

Comment

Thanks guys! I cant wait till there are some sounds to post!
                            Rumrumrumrumrrrrrr pop pop grrrrrrrrr! lol
                            sigpic

Comment

Still no dam bearings.
                              Did a few small things today. I got a gas pedal fabed up.

And I filled the cracks in the dash with some flexible SEM-Weld, painted it with some truck bed liner, and flacka flacka flamed it. Lots of sanding, then more sanding, and painting and flocking.

sigpic

Comment

So here is what I did today. I got to actually start adding parts to the car today! The interior is really starting to come together. I am still waiting on my god damn pilot bearing.

This is something fun my friend and I came up with. The end goal is to use a door open/close sensor on the brake pedal to sens when the pedal is all the way down. When the sensor gets pushed, the light comes on. What movie is the phrase from? lol

The pedals still need to be adjusted and the gas pedal needs to be bolted down, but you guys get the idea. I also need some grip tape for the floor board.

I also put some new gaskets on the brake lines where they go through the fenders. Its not big but it makes me happy. The old ones where all cracked and rotting.

And last some food for thought. Mock up of the front end. I need to do something about the kidney grill. People in SF CA do not know how to parallel park with out using the cars in front and back of them as braille. These kidney grills are not cheap ether. I used some truck bed liner on the front of the car and I have to say I like it. I knew this car would never get a real paint job and that I would DIY geto paint it some how and I think the whole car will get the truck bed liner treatment. It will be easy to wash off and fix when dumb asses in the city open their doors into my car. I plan to drive this car hard and I know I would never do that if I spent 7-10k on paint. Some people may think I am a big ass for even thinking about doing this to my car, but thats why its my car right. We build them for us.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X