Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great fraking thread!!!!

I am just getting started on about half of what you have done and I already feel overwhelmed

Other than the 32mm wrench for fan, and huge hex bolts for the diff and tranny, is there any other large/odd sockets I need to buy? Am running to harbor freight tommorow for a t55 torx to finish pulling the bumper
    87 'vert~~~~~~~89 s50~~~~~~~~~91 318i~~~~~~~~87 s50~~~~~~~~~R.I.P. '91 318i

I Need used SIR tools

Comment

This is without a doubt the best E30 thread. Period!

I can't wait to see it with the euroweaves on. Just a quick question though, are they 14 or 15 inch?

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Comment

euroweaves are always 15
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
          euroweaves are always 15
          Sorry getting confused with basketweavers.

ETA on the wheels??

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Comment

Just returned from two-mile hike from storage unit..
            I put the car up. 4+” thick pile of receipts, manuals, and personal notes on passenger seat. All sorts of spare parts and shit in trunk. 6 beat-up/used eruroweaves piled up in corner. Fresh/recent oil/filter change. Mostly full tank of gas. Last week – I discovered beginning of dry rot on the 8+ year-old tires – which I never could really afford to replace.

I feel fuckin done. I fuckin hate the idea of posting suicidal shit online – but here I go..

For a lot of my life, most all of my friends were female, and telling me about how shitty men were. Many of them would tell me about how some shit-ass [unemployed] boyfriend wouldn’t even have the spirit to work a “McDonalds job”. Well – I worked a shit-ass “McDonalds job” for the last 8 months.. and rocked it – rocked it hard. “Management” continually lied to me/exploited me/short-changed me. There was shit I pulled off there that hadn’t been pulled off in the last 10 fuckin years. No 90 day review. No 6 month review. No raises. Nothing. For shit-ass hours making $8.25/hour – it was making me suicidal – so I fucking tipped out the door one day. That day was about a month ago as I post this.

For approximately the last 8-15 years of my life, I feel like I’ve been a burden on those I love (my mother, my friends, and [multiple] girlfriends). They’ve shown compassion and support for me. They’ve shown belief in my abilities and potential. I am at a point where I NO LONGER want to be a burden on anyone. I am ashamed of myself. I am weak. I am stupid (the older I get – the more I know – the more I know that I don’t know.. I’m almost 40 now – and I currently feel completely. mentally. fucking retarded). I am out of motivation to fight. I am losing hope in a hopeful future.

I am sick of hearing about the economy, and the politics, and the ugliness of the world. I always fought to stay above all that shit..

Where am I now? Near $70K in educational debt. No money to my name – no fucking job – and a fucking fabulous car that I dreamed about building since I was a teenager. Like I could sell the car – but it wouldn’t solve any problems since I’d still need a fucking car to commute to whatever fucking potential job I may or may not get..

Guys – I am sorry. I know this is a sort of geek-ass car forum – and I am totally venting. This isn’t the kind of shit I’d do on facebook. Wherever happens to the e30 I worked on – at least I’d like for it to end up in the hands of an enthusiast – someone who would appreciate the efforts I put into it.

On a ray-of-light endnote: as I was pulling the cover over the car earlier this afternoon, I did get a phone call for an interview at an independently-owned place I’d like to work.. which was a total surprise to me..

A dear friend once told me: “Life is a funny thing – if you don’t settle for anything but what you want – you will very often get it.” Hopefully, that will be the case for me..
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Dude ygpm... I hope you are doing okay bro...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Eh, I know that feel. I build my cars like you. I've also read this whole thing start to finish and loved it.

Smart guys always have it the worst because they're capable of comprehending the true shittiness of their situation and the world around them. All you really need is a job and things will start to be alright again. Money causes the worst kinds of fuckin stupid problems. Don't worry about it too much, eventually you'll roll into some dough. Leaving that job was a good move. Well, having another lined up before you left might have been better. But, you could still be there, which would be worse.

Maybe you're a burden on somebody, most likely though it's in your head because you're experiencing the gap between what you expect to happen and what's actually happening.

Ignore the economy, it hardly affects you as an individual. Same goes for politics and whatever else. They're simply stressors for people with nothing better to stress about and although somebody really should straighten that shit out, there's no reason why it has to be you. So fuckin forget it.

It's true, you'll almost always get what you want if you want it bad enough. Take a mental break to relax yourself and pick your problems up again a little later. I recommend a joint and some good beer for starters.

And never sell the car. Never, ever sell the car.
                '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Simon,

Try Costco Wholesale its a great company and we have some growth in your area now plus ramping up for the holidays soon. Applications are online and make one for each job category. Would not be a bad idea to drop by the warehouse's near you and introduce yourself to the warehouse General Manager and the Assistant Store Managers. If you have some questions you can PM me.
                  Imported from Detroit

Comment

Simon, based on what i have read in your thread regarding maintenance, you are very talented in repairing E30s. Try working at a shop or publishing a DYI book on E30s. Its very apparent that you have so much to give to this life! Keep your head up.

Comment

Please don't do anything to hurt yourself. Trust me when I say you are NOT a stupid person. I've never met you, but just from the posts you made in this one simple thread I can tell you are a very smart and talented individual. Half the stuff you did I was in awe because I would love to attempt but feel I will end up messing up, where you prevailed. Just chalk the recent past up as the not so fun chapter of your life and start a new chapter, call that person back, you never know where it will lead to!

Comment

Simon, stick in it man. Be fucking Rocky. I went through some very, very tough shit in the past 10 years and for the first time, all that back breaking, fully body abusing and mentally punishing grind in jobs you know are only using you and abusing the privilege of your work ethic will pay off, my friend. I've never met you a second in our lives but if you can and do put that much work into something you love, love your life and you will prosper. You might not be a millionaire but damnit, you'll be something Simon, you will..

Best wishes and pursue the fuck out of that job and anything else.
                        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Hang in the bro! Remember its always the darkest just before the light! You are a very talented individual, and I'm sure great things will come fourth to you. I have been in a very simliar situation, and it almost got the best of me. But i dug down and kept on trucking, just remember to always stay positive regardless of the situation. May the force be with you!

PS. I read your entire thread from start to finish, and I am in awe at the capability you have to fully restore a e30 to the condition that you have! And like Tismael said you should consider looking into working with restorations. This thread can be your proof of worksmanship on your application, and I'm sure everyone on here would gladly be a reference! :up:
                          sigpic
                          IcWhatUdidThere

Comment

Originally posted by Tismael711 View Post
                            Simon, based on what i have read in your thread regarding maintenance, you are very talented in repairing E30s. Try working at a shop or publishing a DYI book on E30s. Its very apparent that you have so much to give to this life! Keep your head up.
                            Pritty much this.

And life is unfare for all and only in our darkest days will we see the light, only once you have hit rock bottom you can start to smile because from here on, the only way is up.

Don't worry about being a burdon on friends and family, I am sure they are happy that they can help someone like you move up in the world, and would not even see it like that. I know I would.

Good luck with the future and you will be just fine.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta
                              ygpm... I hope you are doing okay bro...
                              Responded. Thanks man. I'll be ok..

Originally posted by Komzorz
                              Eh, I know that feel. I build my cars like you. I've also read this whole thing start to finish and loved it.

Smart guys always have it the worst because they're capable of comprehending the true shittiness of their situation and the world around them. All you really need is a job and things will start to be alright again. Money causes the worst kinds of fuckin stupid problems. Don't worry about it too much, eventually you'll roll into some dough. Leaving that job was a good move. Well, having another lined up before you left might have been better. But, you could still be there, which would be worse.

Maybe you're a burden on somebody, most likely though it's in your head because you're experiencing the gap between what you expect to happen and what's actually happening.

Ignore the economy, it hardly affects you as an individual. Same goes for politics and whatever else. They're simply stressors for people with nothing better to stress about and although somebody really should straighten that shit out, there's no reason why it has to be you. So fuckin forget it.

It's true, you'll almost always get what you want if you want it bad enough. Take a mental break to relax yourself and pick your problems up again a little later. I recommend a joint and some good beer for starters.

And never sell the car. Never, ever sell the car.
                              Ha – you hit a lot of things there in a profound manner. Like yeah – I have a lot of people around me that love me and all – and I’m quite fine in most all respects. But the lack of being able to find gainful employment is just. fucking. killing me.. which seems to be something many others are going through..

Thanks for the link. I’ve been reading up on stuff like that for years now – and reminders never hurt.

Originally posted by BamaE30
                              Try Costco Wholesale its a great company and we have some growth in your area now plus ramping up for the holidays soon. Applications are online and make one for each job category. Would not be a bad idea to drop by the warehouse's near you and introduce yourself to the warehouse General Manager and the Assistant Store Managers. If you have some questions you can PM me.
                              Thanks man. I’ll look into it. Oddly enough, some of my happiest employment was way back in the day driving a fork truck..

Originally posted by Tismael711
                              Keep your head up.
                              I will.

Originally posted by coop
                              Please don't do anything to hurt yourself. Trust me when I say you are NOT a stupid person.
                              I won't.. and some days, I wonder.. lol

Originally posted by ck_taft325is
                              Simon, stick in it man. Be fucking Rocky. I went through some very, very tough shit in the past 10 years and for the first time, all that back breaking, fully body abusing and mentally punishing grind in jobs you know are only using you and abusing the privilege of your work ethic will pay off, my friend.

Best wishes and pursue the fuck out of that job and anything else.
                              Ha – thanks man. I will be fucking Rocky – and go after that job with fucking blood dripping from my teeth. I gotta tell you it’s a comfort to hear someone else go through years of mud and came out happy. Cheers to that. You’ve given me some hope.

Originally posted by StealthiE30
                              May the force be with you!
                              and MTFBWY as well..

Originally posted by Massimo
                              And life is unfare for all and only in our darkest days will we see the light, only once you have hit rock bottom you can start to smile because from here on, the only way is up.

Don't worry about being a burdon on friends and family, I am sure they are happy that they can help someone like you move up in the world, and would not even see it like that. I know I would.
                              I hear you. Sometimes when one goes through a long enough dark period - it can get hard for one to stay in focus. Thank you for your kind words which remind me of this..

Wow guys. I am sorry. I’m in one of those bad sleep-deprived states where everything seems to lead to despair – and I hate that.. and I hate pity parties - certainly didn’t want to invite one here..

At loss for words – I’m not dead yet – and don’t plan to be soon. I fully realize I’m not alone – and there is some fight in me yet. Time will tell..

Cheers guys. Thank you again for all your support. Things will get better.
                              Last edited by Simon S; 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM.
                              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Wow. Literally just spent HOURS going through this thread from start to finish and I am soo impressed with your work and attitude. I am going through a very similar process on a 1973 BMW 2002 so this is huge inspiration for me to keep truckin' because I've been getting a bit unmotivated at times.

I'm really bummed to read what you're going through in your life right now. I wish I had some profound, intelligent advice for you, but I'm never really good at that. What I see here is someone who followed their true interests and created something seriously magnificent, and although material things won't necessarily bring happiness in life, this is fucking rad man! I really hope you find a job which allows you to utilize your creativity and meticulous skills, you would make one hell of an employee in the right field. Don't hate yourself for venting on the internet to a bunch of people you've never met before, we all need to get it out some way or another. No need to apologize, you've made it very clear that you're a reasonable, respectable person and you're going through shit we all go through (although I don't know the extent of your situation, I'm just generalizing).

This is definitely the deepest I've ever gotten on a car forum haha maybe it's because I'm delirious from staying up til 2:30am reading this fucking awesome thread.

All I can really say is, I hope things turn around for you buddy. This thread is nothing short of inspirational. Just hang in there, you still got lots of life left in you, and it's never too late for it to change.

I'm very similar to you in a sense of heavily documenting every step of every process, if you're interested in getting your mind off the stressful things and reading my BMW build, visit www.roundierevival.webs.com

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                                --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X