New member, new vert build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, new vert build

Well I suppose I have lurked around here long enough, its time to post up what im doing with the parts im buying on here. I purchased a vert for my cousin to drive to and from work last year, but he ended up skipping town and leaving me with it. I cant say that I was too sad about it, but it definitely needs some work. Previous owner sold it because he thought the fuel pump went out on it. After towing it back to my house me and Stevofthahill found out that the moron had run it out of gas. Tons of pictures follow:

Took the radiator, fan, V belts, water pump, and timing belt off

While waiting for seller to provide parts, we decided to remove the suspension:

No thanks to Bently, we tore apart the trunk before finding out that access to the RSM's are in the vert compartment

We have new RSM's, these are junk:

Unfortunately, these were the worst shocks I have ever seen and will also need replaced:

started swapping out suspension parts we had on hand

Things took a turn for the worst when we were changing out the shock towers. After taking off the bolt to swap the shock tower, I did a classic move out the "Shit not to do when working on cars" handbook. We thought the spring was completely unloaded, when in fact it was completely loaded and stuck on the strut assembly . I put my face right over it and went to lift it off the strut assembly, and it shot up off the ground and smashed me full force in the face

I thought I had broken my nose for sure, but luckily the coil hit me in the lip between my teeth and nose. We decided to get the control arm off and call it a night, as we had been putting about 7 hours a day in the car already.

May as well change the valve cover gasket while theres room to move

Put on new valve cover gasket, Water Pump, thermo housing & Thermo, belts, coolant hoses, throttle body gasket, random vacuum lines, air filter

At this point the car sat on the side of my house all summer as it was too hot to work on. I picked it back up this winter.

After taking a ton of bullshit off the motor in order to clear it to come out of the engine bay, its finally hanging in my garage. Next up:

Head was sent to the shop for pressure testing, block is soon to follow

the old nasty vert front finally came off in exchange for a nice looking plastic bumper "i" front and some euro smileys:

(Before car not mine, just used as an example. Completely forgot to take a before shot before ripping it apart)

Got the engine on the stand, pulled everything off the block. Head has some burning from what looks to be blowby maybe? I dunno, the intake manifold side's gaskets are crispy on the edges so if anyone knows something else that causes crispy gaskets let me know. Strangely enough, I can still see the honing marks in the block, which makes me wonder if the engine has been rebuilt anytime recently. From the condition of the head I wouldnt think so, but I dont know for sure. Im trying to decide if I want to send the block in for an acid bath or just clean it. Anyone sent their block in before? I dont even know where to send it.
    Moar pics:

Have new seats to put in it, hoping to get the head back from the shop soon so I can start putting the engine back in.
    Last edited by Evilsmith; 03-02-2011, 04:06 PM.

Vert build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=167264

What's up Eric, it's Nate from back in SB. How you liking AZ man?

Good work on the vert so far. I'm eyeing a few around town, they'd make a great cruiser.

Comment

Nice project. I like the direction you are going. More pics as the car progresses.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
        What's up Eric, it's Nate from back in SB. How you liking AZ man?
        Its pretty damn cool. I bought a house down here and the BMW crew is a lot cooler. Do miss the INO meets in SB though.

Originally posted by Stevie30 View Post
        Nice project. I like the direction you are going. More pics as the car progresses.
        Thank you, will have pics of the reassembly as well.

Comment

good to see another vert build. Im watching. :)

COTM

Comment

Well all the parts are back in my garage now and looking great!

I must admit, im feeling a little overwhelmed at this point, as there is a lot of shit to install and this is my first M20 motor. Right now while im waiting on bearings, rings, bolts, etc to arrive, im trying to figure out if im just supposed to rip out the rear main gasket and if the new one needs pressed or if I can tap it in there (If anyone knows please fill me in). Also the ring gear inside the block that the intermediate shaft drives isnt spinning. Im pretty sure its supposed to be spinning, anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, I just took it apart and put some grease in the needle bearings and it started spinning again. Lets hope it doesnt sieze up like that when the car is running...

Here is what im installing tomorrow:

Last edited by Evilsmith; 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

good stuff man. keep at it.
              past:
              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:
              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Spent 5 or 6 hours in the garage today getting real shit done. It made me confident that I can get it done by Friday with no problems. I got the rest of the pistons in, all intermediate shaft work done, oil pump cleaned and installed, oil pan on, both front and rear seals replaced, and that stupid goddamn 200 ft lb bolt torqued. My torque wrench only goes to 250 ft lbs, so I just tightened +25 degrees more as a guesstimation. There is ±30 ft lbs or some shit anyway so fuck it. Here is a pic of me attempting to get 300 ft. lbs out of 185 me lbs. Note that the engine stand is being held down by the toolbox and I am jumping up and down:

Where im at so far:

Comment

Well I got the car together, the #19 injectors I rebuilt seem to be dumping too much gas into cylinder 3 so im just going to have to rebuild the stock ones for now, not enough time to mess with it before Bimmerfest. Also looks like its leaking from about 5 different places, im going to try to track some of them down today. Here is what that car currently looks like. Next couple days im going to remove the spring pads and cut the dead coil from those IE3's.

Comment

looks like you have been having a lot of fun. hope its all going smoothly and looks like you are just in time for vert weather (:
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

After running out of money, trying to sell the car, and spending 6 months getting lowballed off craigslist, I've decided to see this build through. Back to work.

Took the. Car out around the neighborhood today, first time in a while. When idle the engine is still surging with check engine on. However, when driving the check engine light goes off and back on intermittently. Driving doesn't seem affected, and after it warms up it stop surging until it sits idle for about 10 minutes. Check engine code is 1222, indicating fuel mix issue (Can confirm cause the car smells rich).

After many hours in the engine bay I managed to get the 1222 fault to go away. Part of it was a loose canister hose, and the other part was the metal tube that runs from the block to the intake manifold. When the mechanic changed the input shaft gasket on my head he must not have seated that metal tube, cause I grabbed it and it slid all around. It was also covered in oil.

Only problem now, is that even thought the 1222 fault is gone, the car surges even worse at idle and dies. I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and hooked it back up, and it idles better. However, it still surges. I noticed that unplugging the ICV makes it idle better than when its in, so I may try to change that out next. Also, the valves sound like some are tight and some are loose. Im going to attempt to adjust them tonight, although every time I do it ends in disaster
                      Last edited by Evilsmith; 02-09-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

try cleaning the ICV first instead. I just filled my with carb cleaner, put fingers over the holes and shook. Did this a few times and all is well....
                        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

I did that a couple months ago and it didn't seem to do anything. I also ran the car with the icv off and it clicked like crazy. However, when I put my ear to it I don't hear clicking, I hear a loud woosh like a huge vacuum leak. I've sprayed it with brake cleaner though, and im sure its not vacuum. I will try cleaning a couple more times before replacing

Comment

Ok there's a ton of new parts that have went in but nothing very interesting. However, I picked up a donor car with a 5 speed the other day and im working on swapping it to my vert. If you are interested in watching I have a live stream to my garage:

End to end video platform for media & enterprises. Live streaming, video hosting, transcoding, monetization, distribution & delivery services for businesses.

Comment

Working...
                            X