MY 318IS Work in Progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY 318IS Work in Progress...

not much but here it is. bought this back in sept. its got high mileage. 200k+. the front suspension in think is h&r sport springs and bilstein shocks. the rear is stock i believe. beautiful bottle caps. nice missing IS lip. also matching missing Fog lights. slightly bent valence on the driver side. faded paint. thrashed interior. cracked dash. so far it runs pretty well. i had some heating issues but i took care of that by refreshing the cooling system and dropping in a mishimoto radiator. engine is all stock as far as i know. except for cooling. oh the A/C doesnt work and i bypassed the heater cuz my heater valve pissed on my leg...quite literally. i just threw on the euro grills. and i have a ton of parts that i cant wait to start putting in and replacing. as much as the money permits.

Looks nice for 200k

It looks like your missing a radiator fan unless its mounted in front of it.
    M42: Because 110 feels like 140 :finger:

Comment

Mishimoto M50 radiator?

Comment

rad rad dude.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolnDaapex View Post
          Looks nice for 200k

It looks like your missing a radiator fan unless its mounted in front of it.
          all e30's have a fan infront of the rad ;)
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

the radiator keeps the engine so cool that i havent had use for the fan yet. i ditched the clutch fan and have a mishimoto elec fan that i will install if i need it.

Originally posted by Stu View Post
            Mishimoto M50 radiator?
            Mishimoto E36 Radiator. its a direct swap for late model cooling systems. with the exception of the m42 like mine. some mods are required.

An ideal upgrade for the brittle stock BMW radiator, the Mishimoto E30/E36 Performance Aluminum Radiator provides your vehicle with enhanced reliability and improved cooling efficiency. BMWs are known to have frequent cooling-related failures due to the use of numerous plastic components throughout the system. A simple coolant leak can result in overheating, accelerated engine wear, or head gasket failure. Whether you have a daily-driven E36 M3 or an M20 spinning a large turbocharger, this E30 and E36 radiator provides ideal temperatures on and off the track. Most people overlook the importance of installing an upgraded radiator in their vehicle. Along with providing increased coolant capacity, this BMW radiator improves heat dissipation, which is beneficial for both stock and modified applications. The Mishimoto E30/E36 Performance Aluminum Radiator is manufactured using durable aircraft-quality aluminum end tanks, precision TIG-welded to an efficient brazed aluminum core. The inlet and outlets provide precise leak-free connections, and all factory overflow and temperature sensor ports are present on the Mishimoto E30 and E36 radiator for use with stock sensors and hoses. This BMW radiator also includes a M16 x 1.5 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug with dowty seal, which effectively removes metal fragments circulating in the cooling system. The Mishimoto BMW Performance Aluminum Radiator incorporates mounting points for the factory external automatic transmission cooler, and it is a direct bolt-on fit for all 6-cylinder E30/E36 models from 1988 to 1991. As with all our BMW parts, this aluminum BMW radiator includes the Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty, ensuring superior product quality and craftsmanship.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            rad rad dude.
            thanks man.

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
            haha. mos def.

Comment

hmmm, I also have a 318is and was gonna give you an FYI.

i ordered all oil pan gaskets. timing gaskets. oil housing gaskets and output shaft seal for 45$ from pelican parts.

good deals there if you have leaks

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
                :whistlesandcasuallywalksaway:
                M42: Because 110 feels like 140 :finger:

Comment

recent pic.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolnDaapex View Post
                    :whistlesandcasuallywalksaway:
                    lol

Car looks nice man
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                      hmmm, I also have a 318is and was gonna give you an FYI.

i ordered all oil pan gaskets. timing gaskets. oil housing gaskets and output shaft seal for 45$ from pelican parts.

good deals there if you have leaks
                      thanks ill look into that if i decide to rebuild the engine.

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                      Car looks nice man
                      Thanks. she still has a ways to go.

Comment

Fixing oil leak

Normally I Daily my 91 Honda but I had a flat and didnt feel comfortable driving on the spare too much til i got new tires, so i decided to drive the E30 for a week. On Labor day when i was leaving work, yes i worked on labor day, I checked my oil and it was a bit low. I filled with a quart of oil and twas fine. I noticed a small mess of oil on the front of the engine and a puddle under my car as i was putting the cap back on and upon inspecting further saw that it was definitely leaking oil from somewhere.

being so busy at work i didnt get a chance to really figure out where it was leaking but i definitely wasnt comfortable driving her around with a leak so i drove my honda spare and all for the rest of the weak...i guess i was using the spare as an excuse to drive the e30 to work.

anyways finally get around to dealing with the leak. I notice that when i start the car up, it leaks from between the block and the oilfilter housing. i took some time wiped up the small mess and used a mirror to pinpoint where it is leaking. it leaks where the o-ring goes between the block and the housing. atleast so far that ive noticed.

So i called up BMA and ordered the gasket and o-ring and picked up my parts the same day. good thing they are close to me.

Got back and began removing the alternator and bracket to get to the housing bolts.

ran into a problem with the lower alternator bracket bolt. bastard didnt wanna come out. i was working at it for a good 30mins.

and this is where im at now. got tired so decided to finish the job the next day.

Comment

Well??? Did you get that leak fixed? Nice car. I like your lights.
                          -Nick
                          Originally posted by 87e30
                          First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

didnt even realize anybody posted.

yes i did get the leak fixed. also did the "mess under the intake" changed the injectors to 4pintile bosch injectors. deleted throttle body heaterplates. car has been running well so far.

ive recently had to start DDing my e30 due to my honda having some issues it may not recover from. im in progress of doing the suspension and replacing rotors and bearings. hopefully finish by may. this shitty weather is killing me though. also looking for a decent body shop to respray and do some minor body work.

ive been lagging a lot but im starting to pick up a bit of momentum and hopefully things will start to get done around here.

Comment

Shitty Phone pic. gave her low yesterday, still gotta get her set right but this is good for now. car is very dirty washing it today.

Before

After

Comment

Working...
                              X