Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318is Restoration Project...Now with some Air!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GAJ View Post
    Very cool. I may give this a shot myself as I don't plan to remove my engine anytime soon (only 155k miles) but would like to neaten up the appearance underhood a bit. I found the Duplicolor Dover/Arctic White BGM0138 to be a pretty decent match to Alpine White II. What paint did you use, Duplicolor or one of those color-match-in-a-spray can special order paints?
    Ya I used a generic white by Duplicolor, it was less "creamier" than the alpine white.

Comment

A little update, the car is almost ready to be plated and driven. I need to get a few things done in order to get the car appraised and plated.

My old fuse cover was pretty much nasty, replaced that along with relays and fuses.
      Before

Old fuses

Clean,

The previous owner used ducting pipe as the air hose connector between the headlight cover and intake box. I found one at the junk yard.

And stupid me didn't realize 325 differs from the 318, damn.

Old obc,

Replacement,

Broken sunroof crank,

Replacement,

Harness cover installed,

Now for the wheels, they say you should calculate before you put a setup together...I didn't do much of that...if any at all. Just figured this would work. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

And ruined tires,

You decide if it works.
      Last edited by Tuee; 06-02-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Tuee, your car looks fantastic, great work. Just a quick question, which paint did you use to paint the carpet, matt or gloss black?
        E39 535
        E24 635 csi
        E24 633 csi
        Project thread http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18874

Comment

Originally posted by aussiebilly View Post
          Tuee, your car looks fantastic, great work. Just a quick question, which paint did you use to paint the carpet, matt or gloss black?
          Thanks, I don't think it had anything with the finish of the paint. It was a fabric dye I guess so I'm guessing it would take the finish of the surface on which it was sprayed on. It was dupli-color fabric spray dye. If you go back a few pages I posted a picture of the can. Hope this helps.

Comment

Tuee, At my local auto store the dupli-color fabric spray dye comes in matt and gloss black, it is not labeled on the can, just the lid is coloured matt or gloss. thought you might still have the can to let me know.Thanks.
            E39 535
            E24 635 csi
            E24 633 csi

Comment

Originally posted by Tuee View Post
              not before customs raped me on the import fees.
              Tell me about it! The worst is if the seller says they're shipping via USPS, and then arbitrarily they decide to ship with UPS. Then UPS takes a healthy chunk + customs. Before you know it a sub $200 part can be over $300 shipped :crazy:

I assume BBS RC090, but what tire size and adapter thickness are you running? I think they look fantastic by the way. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by aussiebilly View Post
                Tuee, At my local auto store the dupli-color fabric spray dye comes in matt and gloss black, it is not labeled on the can, just the lid is coloured matt or gloss. thought you might still have the can to let me know.Thanks.
                The can seems like its a matte black. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by bmwphatpat View Post
                Tell me about it! The worst is if the seller says they're shipping via USPS, and then arbitrarily they decide to ship with UPS. Then UPS takes a healthy chunk + customs. Before you know it a sub $200 part can be over $300 shipped :crazy:

I assume BBS RC090, but what tire size and adapter thickness are you running? I think they look fantastic by the way. :up:
                Thanks, ya import duties on those adapters were $110, really sucks.

Yep they're rc090's, tires I believe are 205/45/17 and the adapters are 18mm. I need to really roll my fenders as they're currently sitting on the tires .

Comment

[quote=Tuee;3203965]The can seems like its a matte black. Hope that helps.

thanks
                  E39 535
                  E24 635 csi
                  E24 633 csi

Comment

A couple things happened. Spoiler + fenders rolled.

Comment

man ... that car looks sooooooo perfect.
                      ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_ar View Post
                        man ... that car looks sooooooo perfect.
                        Thanks!

Comment

im looking to do the same wheelset with an AW 318is... same adapters as well.

THE BIG QUESTION:

Do you think you can get away with just fender rolling or do you think you will have to pull them to really get away from tire rub...

Let me know your thoughts.

Awesome resto btw... really admirable job
                          Last edited by quillbro; 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quillbro View Post
                            im looking to do the same wheelset with an AW 318is... same adapters as well.

THE BIG QUESTION:

Do you think you can get away with just fender rolling or do you think you will have to pull them to really get away from tire rub...

Let me know your thoughts.
                            I've got about 0.5" or less clearance between the tire and fender wall, I've already bent the front fender from the tire grabbing on to it. It seems as if my suspension is real stiff (APEX), plus the car hasn't seen the road yet so it's hard to say if its practical. I might just go 16'' with thinner tires if I run into any issues or raise the car up a bit the H&R's. I'll update this when I can tell more, but for now you may rub if you hit a bump or something.

Comment

Good to know, thanks. Supremely awesome car. You at least have to take a photo set of the car with wheels if you intend to switch them up.

Comment

Hot damn !!

Love what you've done with the place !

You've taken that car a long, LONG way from where you started.. thank you for sharing the progress.
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X