Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Purple ///Monster Build

WARNING: I LOVE TO USE SMILIES! :hitler:

So I figure I should start a thread for my M3 project build.

First I want to give a little bit of background about myself. I've always been a fan of e30s, especially after my friend's dad got one when I was 10. In high school I was supposed to grab one for my first car, but my parents wouldn't insure me. I was pissed because my friend had a clean Brilliantrot 1990 325i 2 door, 5 speed, with a rebuilt m20, H&R sports, Bilstein sports, and some clean 16s. My parents refused to put me on their insurance with any kind of sporty car, so I never bought the e30.

So a few years went by, and in 2005 I finally bought an '89 Brilliantrot 2 door 325i, with plans of swapping in an s52. The swap took me about a year to complete because I ran into some financial problems along the way. My s52 car ended up getting full coil-overs, 22/19 sways, polyurethane everything, etc. I loved that car, and all the power it had! We also fine tuned the suspension to handle on rails! :woowoo:

After getting bored with the power of a bolt-on s52, I looked into boosting my s52. I was going to supercharge it for a while, then I though about turbo. Finally I decided, screw the s52, I want an LS1. I had bought some 17x9.5 Rota p45r and was ready to put on Eurostop's new "extra" wide body, 2002 style flares.

As I was getting everything ready for the new wheels, I came up on a deal I couldn't refuse! I found this 1990 M3, within a day of the owner posting the car up on r3vlimited. I dropped all my plans for my s52 car, and decided to sell it to fund my new project! ;)

(only pic I have for now)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got the car for a ridiculous price because the previously rebuilt motor had been taken apart, and left that way due to running issues. Turns out the owner that had it rebuilt, 2 owners ago, bought parts without researching. The s14 has 95mm over-bored 13:1 CP pistons! Those are made for fully built race engines! As a result, the motor ran like crap, because no other components were changed to compliment the high CR pistons, and it was never properly tuned.

Pros of the car:

1. The car has a clean title with less then 101k on the clock! :D

2. Even though the piston choice lead to running issues, the rest of the rebuild was done properly, within spec. The motor is complete with everything needed to get it running again. The motor has brand new: injectors, entire timing chain assembly, new fuel pump, fuel filter, all ignition components, water pump, oil pump, and a rebuilt head.

3. It came with brand new H&R Race Springs, along with front and rear H&R sways, and brand new Koni top adjustable shocks. :p

4. The interior is a mint! :pimp:

Cons:

1. The paint. The car was originally Zinnoberot, until the owner that rebuilt the motor had it resprayed Diamonschwarz. The paint looks like it was done at Earl Scheib or One Day Paint - very poor quality job. Around the front windshield there is some red coming through, and there are other areas where the black paint chipped off, revealing the zinno. It's obvious that the car wasn't even sanded before the respray, because it the zinno paint underneath still has a bit of clear-coat left on it. :down:

2. The motor was apart when we bought it, and I had no idea of the piston specs. I'm also not sure about the condition of the transmission right now, other than the word of the owner that I bought it from.

The Plans:

I've been fortunate enough to become best friends, and business partners with a shop in North Hollywood - Castro's Smog and Repair. I met Chris 3 years ago, and he helped me with my suspension on the s52 car along with many other things; since then we've been best friends. Consequently, the majority of my M3 project will be done in house at Chris's shop! :woowoo:

Chris and I were ready to embark on the LS1 swap in my car, so we could be one of the first on the West Coast to do it in an e30. After I found the M3 my mind changed 360 degrees!

Since the E30 M3 has been my dream car since I was 13, I wanted to keep this one all BMW. I was bored of the s52 power, and wanted something more. Since I'm also good friends with Osh and Chris at RMS I thought, why not supercharge the s14? Well that idea didn't last long after I started seeing how doable an s54 swap was, and how affordable the motors were becoming. So I finally decided I wanted to put a bolt-on s54 into the M3. The s54 is the perfect match for the M3 IMO. While the power from boost is awesome, I prefer a high revving, powerful NA motor! It's similar in weight to the s52, so I wasn't worried about suspension tuning, or weight over the nose. While having the s14 up front makes the car more nimble, my s52 car handled just as well as my buddy's e30 m3 with some suspension work in MOST cases.

For suspension, I will be mimicking the set-up we put together on my previous car, but with even better coil-overs. For brakes, I will be running E36 M3 front calipers and rotors, with stainless lines, and an e34 m5 master cylinder. For wheels, I've collected a few sets, but I will have 1 set of 17s and 1 set of 18s. Finally for paint, I decided to fully strip the car, and have Alex Castro (Chris' brother) paint my car Techno Violet! It's one of my favorite colors of all time, and I have only seen 1 other E30 M3 painted that color. :pimp:

I will update this thread as the project moves along. I never made a project thread for my first project, so that makes this project that much more special! ;)
    Last edited by e30polak; 03-05-2011, 12:11 AM.
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Unlike my first project car, I've been very diligent in finding really good deal on all the parts I need for the swap. I'm not going to rush this project, I want everything to be done right. I've already collected most of what I wanted, other than the actual s54.

What I've got so far:

Engine & Trans:

1 piece CSL replica airbox :up:
    ZF320 5 speed
    3.46 LSD
    Ralco Short shift kit

Suspension & Steering:

TC Kline Coil-Over springs - 500# front, 700# rear
    Koni top adjustable struts - front
    Koni dual adjustable shocks - rear
    Vorshlag camber plates, with race perches
    IE 22mm front sway
    ST 19mm rear sway
    Treehouse Lollipop CABs
    IE Billet RSMs
    IE Poly RTABS
    IE Poly rear subframe mounts - street compound
    IE Poly steering coupler
    Rebuilt factory M3 steering rack, with new tie rods
    Aluminum control arms
    AKG subframe and trailing arm weld-in reinforcement kits
    Sparco front strut brace
    Custom rear strut brace based off the Mason Engineering design, which also mounts to the differential carrier

Brakes:

E36 M3 front brakes
    E34 M5 Master cylinder
    SS brake lines

Wheels:

Staggered AC Schnitzer Type 2 - 17x8.5 et13, 17x9.5 et22 (Refinished semi-gloss white)

Exterior & Lighting:

Real motorized AC Schnitzer side view mirrors!
    Startec tail lights (may not end up using)
    Mint Euro Hella Smileys
    6000k Hids for the lows and fogs

Interior:

Old school Corbeau reclinable sport seats
    3 spoke Alpina steering wheel
    3 spoke BBS steering wheel
    E36 center console and armrest

System:

Alpine 6.5" Type S components in custom map pocket door pods
    Sony 3 way 6x9 speakers for the rear
    Clif Design 1400x4 amp for the highs
    MA Audio 1800 watt monoblock amp
    Full JL Audio wiring kit

Still to get:

Engine & Trans:

S54 motor, harness, dme
    Ebay headers for s54 - To be ceramic coated, and ported
    3" Borla ProXS single in/out muffler (to be used as the center muffler)
    3" Vibrant Street Power muffler (to be used as the end muffler)
    V-Bands
    8.5 # JB racing flywheel
    Sachs Race clutch & pressure plate

Exterior:

MA Shaw Evo trunk spoiler, with CF gurney flap
    TMS Evo 2 front lip

System:
    Alpine CDA9835 head unit
    Kicker 10" CVX subwoofer
    Last edited by e30polak; 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM.

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

dreamy
      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

going to be such a perfect combo! it's probably hard to believe your dream car of 10yrs old is comming together infront of you!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mightywhitey View Post
          dreamy
          Thanks! I love the wheels in your sig! What are they? Your whip is gonna look sick with them!! :D

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
          going to be such a perfect combo! it's probably hard to believe your dream car of 10yrs old is comming together infront of you!
          Definitely. I'm still in disbelief that I actually own an e30 m3! :D

Comment

They are made by Appliance wheel they were originally for a 79 TransAm 5x120.6 -32 offset killed it though. Sold em to a buddy with a grand national.
            1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
            1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
            1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

more pics, less jibber jabber

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
                ^^^ This plus you need to snail it.....

subscribed, should be an awesome build.
                Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
                  In time my son, be patient. :p
                  Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                  ^^^ This plus you need to snail it.....

subscribed, should be an awesome build.
                  Naw, 330-340whp NA will hold me over for a while. If I get bored of that, then I'll be adding a 100 shot fogger kit. ;)

Comment

Dude, when your mind spins 360°, you end up putting a 5.3l truck engine in a shell. when it goes 180°, you don't.

Comment

:excited: cant wait to see the ///Moster you come up with Polak
                      sigpic

Comment

i will be wrenching on this.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                        Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          Dude, when your mind spins 360°, you end up putting a 5.3l truck engine in a shell. when it goes 180°, you don't.

Originally posted by mr.dvck View Post
                          :excited: cant wait to see the ///Moster you come up with Polak
                          :twisted:

Originally posted by accident View Post
                          i will be wrenching on this.
                          Yes you will. ;)

Comment

A few teaser pics (sorry for the crappy quality - only have my cell phone for now)

MMMmmmm... Alpinas - primered and ready for paint! :pimp:

BBS RX - thinking of refinishing in BBS Diamond Black :neutral:

Era appropriate seats!

Comment

gonna look tits Chris. Love Techno Violet!!

Wouldn't Recaro Speed seats be more proper though?
                              harry/harout

Comment

Working...
                              X