Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ttrousdell's Project Thread (E30 M3 & S38 swap content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow nice steal on the motor going to be beast
    sigpic

my build thread:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=232324

Comment

Might have to steal that m30 from you once you pull it out!

Comment

I can't believe I read through this whole thread. Love the pics
        "Do what you love, and love what you do" -Ray Bradbury

Comment

read the whole thing.. nice progress!! cant wait to see the new motor up and running.

Comment

just read through the whole thread as well, all i have to say is wow man! great work and and dedication.

subscribed
            1988 325is 237k

Comment

Thanks everyone. The compliments are always welcome.

Finally had a chance to get back and finish the rust repair in the trunk and the battery box.

It took forever to finally get it down to bare metal but once it was I covered it in a layer of POR-15.

The battery box was done but while doing that I noticed that there was more little rust spots in the rear passenger wheel wheel then I thought. I could not just leave it alone knowing that it would only get worse and water would keep filling up in my new battery box.

The customary "look how rusted this part is" picture

Had to remove the fuel tank fill pipe and all vents. Make sure you close off the hole to the tank when welding/grinding.

Cut out all the rust. Even thought the initial rust holes were small the rust extended out and made the surrounding metal very thin.

Patches cut from the hood.

Put a layer of POR-15 on the patches. Getting the vent lines back in was a bitch. I found it easier to put the big one in first then snake the small ones after.

Now that all the rust was taken care of it was finally time to drive the car for the first time since the accident. Got the alignment and now were back in business.

While I wait to build up funds I started to clean up and break down S38 parts. the first thing to get cleaned was the ITBs.

I could clean some of the surface with a wire wheel but most of the surface was tight which meant that I was using elbo grease to clean. I would estimate it took 6 hours to clean them and I'm still not completely satisfied. Dirty vs. Clean

Turned attention back to the head for a clean up of that. Removed the valves and valve seals.

Hose puller worked great for getting the seals off.

So thankful I didn't have any hairline cracks between the valve seats which is a common problem in high mileage S14/S38 heads.

Relatively clean. Put away until its time for the machine shop where it will be inspected for cracks/warpage and get new valve guides.

Last edited by ttrousdell; 09-17-2015, 11:51 AM.

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Build went from cool, to epic.
                  For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                  Originally posted by mbonanni
                  I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

^indeed. This is awesome..

Comment

oh lawd
                      E30 buildy things
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Dude, it's been said, but what an epic build! I dig your work attitude about doing things right the first time vs. going back around the second time. Props from the west coast, suscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
                          Dude, it's been said, but what an epic build! I dig your work attitude about doing things right the first time vs. going back around the second time. Props from the west coast, suscribed.
                          Thanks man. Its nice to know the build is appreciated and inspires other peoples future builds.

Worked on the bottom end today. Since the state of the bearings was still a mystery to me, I was eager to start pulling caps and pistons.

Water pump impeller showing some rust. The scrap pile keeps getting bigger.

Oil pump off. No big plans for it. Ill give it a clean to get the sludge off, make sure the intake isn't obstructed, test the clearances of the gears, and lock the nut on the gear before putting it back on the block.

#4 cylinder journal. All the journals and bearings were in superb shape. No hangups when you ran your fingernail over them. I'm sure the measurements will show that they are well with in correct tolerances

One of the main bearings

Pistons pulled. All of them showed normal wear on the skirts. They will be able to be reused.

The cylinder walls looked good. No deep scratches. A simple hone should be enough.

Pistons out and labeled. Although they passed the visual inspection, measurements will tell what the 170k miles have done to the tolerances. Been putting some though to just buying aftermarket lightweight rods and pistons but the cost is hard to swallow especially if the tolerances of the stock ones are within spec. I honestly see this engine getting a turbo later on so that's also influencing me. Time will tell.

Last edited by ttrousdell; 02-29-2012, 04:50 PM.

The Build:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Ever find out what caused those bent valves?

Comment

Awesome stuff!

Comment

Tom, I hate telling you about good deals that you end end up picking up.
                                '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
                                '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
                                '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
                                '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

Working...
                                X