Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 BMW 2002 M20 Resto

Hey Guys,

I thought that some of you might be interested to follow my progress on the rebuilding for my M20 car that got hit a few years ago. Long story short, the insurance company reluctantly shelled over almost the maximum amount to get the rear fixed after getting rear ended on 101 South bound at Hospital Curve in San Francisco. If it weren't for the former owner and he being an attorney that specializes in insurance none of this would have been possible. He is a fellow gear head with a love for classics and he couldn't bare to hear what the insurance company was trying to do to me.

I have the thread posted on the 2002 FaQ Board. Here is the link: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...opic/t,339365/

The speed at which the car is put back together will be determined on my ability to sign over checks, so it may be slow going, but it's going!

If you have any questions let me know.

UPDATE: 20.05.2011

The work on the 02 is starting to shape up and look like an 02 again. It's been a long time in the making. Slowly but surely the car is getting put back together. Here is a teaser photo:

I think the all the body work and paint should be finished up by July. I won't be home again until December, so my buddies will start in on the mechanical until I get home. I still need to find a Super Sprint 323 M20 header and they seem to be very challenging to find.

Follow the link above to see the full set of photos. Thanks for taking a look.

Just got some new photos from the body shop...

Can you see what is going to be kinda unique about my '02? Need to build out a 2.7 or better yet just take it out of my touring and ship it back to California.
    Last edited by evanc; 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM.
    1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
    1990 BMW 327 Touring

very nice work. Looks you are doing it right.
    sigpic
    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

nice work

-
      Project
      Parts for Sale
      Feedback
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice work sir!
        no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

UPDATE: 02 Bodyshop Work

Just added some photos from the bodyshop... Thought that by editing the original post it'd show up as an updated thread.

Link is above.

Now I need to find a shop in Poland to help me do this to my touring!
          1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
          1990 BMW 327 Touring

Comment

Update: August 29, 2011 Body Shop Work

Added some photos to the FAQ link and posted a few new photos here. Never thought that the process would take this long, but good thing is because I wouldn't have all the money at once to do it!

Thanks for taking a look.

CHeers,

Evan
            1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
            1990 BMW 327 Touring

Comment

Looking foward to this build! Subscribed and good luck with the work!
              r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Comment

Looks like a fun build! I like the Nardi wheel on early 02's, just feels right.

Have you reinforced the driver's side motor mount carrier yet?
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

nice deal man! love these cars
                  GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

looks great so far! keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. I wish I was actually there to help out and get my '02 on the road, but the '02 is in very capable hands :) The driver's side mount has been reinforced and will be getting poly bushings on both sides. Not sure that I'll use the Dan William's motor mounts again as the don't push the motor back as far as it should. Apparently Rob Torres' has some custom mounts that he produces on a small scale. Already have the 323 distributor and front cover to allow the motor more room. I'll most likely run a Turbo 2002 radiator with an electric fan.

I'm only back in CA for three weeks this December, so I'll need to work pretty quick to see some results. The heatcore and vent controls are shot and need to be rebuilt, so before stuff starts going back in, I need to make sure that thing is good to go.

So far I have got two sets of wheels, the 15X6 Italia's you see in the photos and a set of euro basketweaves that need to be refinished.

At the moment I'm running 528e calipers and I'm thinking I might go for some Outlaws. Hard to think about spending more money on parts like that when I'm still haven't paid off the bodywork/paint. Ouch!

Next update will probably be in six weeks... for the '02. Hopefully I'll have an update on my touring with the 2.7L that's legit to drive. Apparently I was driving around Poland with no insurance or government inspection for six weeks. Opps... how the hell am I supposed to know that? Could have been an expensive experience, but thankfully not.

Going to try and make it to the Ring in the Spring time and it'd be cool to coordinate with anyone who might also want to go for a few days.

Happy Friday!

Laters.

Evan
                      1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
                      1990 BMW 327 Touring

Comment

If your in the greater Los Angeles area you are more than welcome to stop by, there are 2 M20 2002's right now, one of which is running some interesting mounts (more here .. http://www.r3vlimited.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=211891 )

Looks like you have a pretty heavy duty bar up front, interesting pivot bushing tabs.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

That is pretty damn awesome!

Comment

I'm trying to get down there when I'm back stateside in December, but three weeks isn't a lot of time so we'll see. I'd love to check out those other M20 cars.

Yeah those tabs busted off on the first Alpine 500 I ran in back in '06 so I wanted something that would't break as easily.

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                            If your in the greater Los Angeles area you are more than welcome to stop by, there are 2 M20 2002's right now, one of which is running some interesting mounts (more here .. http://www.r3vlimited.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=211891 )

Looks like you have a pretty heavy duty bar up front, interesting pivot bushing tabs.
                            1970 BMW 2002 w/M20b25
                            1990 BMW 327 Touring

Comment

Wow nice work! Those are some HUGE sway bars!
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                              X