No announcement yet.

This is Sofie- Now w/ 5 lug and MT-2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya, maybe a tap-in for something? although it would only have power when the hi-beams were on.

Comment

Meh doesnt matter anymore, it got cut out of the harness.

Comment

Awesome, awesome project man!

question, what's the deal on those ac schnitzer wheels :D. Are they for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz325 View Post
          +1 for interest.

Comment

This afternoon I started tackling the engine bay, the goal is to have it on its way to the paint shop either Friday or Monday.

Kinda got caught up in the moment, so pics are a bit lacking in terms of flow.

Here's what I started with.

First task was to remove the harness the best I could for the time being. I can't completely take it out till I pull the interior. (Hopefully happen tomorrow)

I got the passenger side out, but still had the ABS module in place. To unplug the harness from it, you need a T-15 torx bit. There's one screw on top, and 2 under the cover that hold a wire retainer in place.

The actual lines themselves require a 11mm wrench. So I decided now was as good as time as ever to tackle the brake/clutch lines. Somehow got lucky and no problems, aka nothing stripped or required flare wrenches! :D

ABS unit out, it has 2 10mm and 1 13mm nuts holding it physically in place, in addition to a 8mm nut that attaches a ground cable to G104. Note the rubber bushings.

Next I took care of the fuel lines. I'm not totally taking them out because I'm not worried about overspray. They're getting replaced since about 4in down the line, there's a section taken out because the PO was running OBD2 in this car that required a secondary fuel pump. That big cylinder thing goes to the rear brakes. I believe it is what actually controls the bias.

Then it was time for the insulation. Since mine is in good shape, I decided to keep it, so a little more work was required so it wouldn't tear. Lots of nuts and retainers keeping this thing on. The steering column was also in the way, but 2 bolts and nuts the rack is free and I just pulled the spindle out of the column with the e36 rack.

Yay no rust! (Honestly shouldn't be any on this car since it was a Cali, then Texas car it's whole life)

Part of the harness was trapped because of the valence. Luckily I had forgotten I had fitted it with zip ties to mock up mounting for the Alpina valence, so that came off in 1 minute flat after the lights/grills were removed.

By this point you can get a good look of the repair done to the core support because of the small accident that landed it in the PO's hands. He did a good job fixing it, but some welds need to be touched up and grinded.

13 button exterior harness out.

Throttle cable/brake hoses, etc out

Time for the fenders.

Yay no rust either, just some surface and left over body seam filler.

Took the horns out, note the difference in the OBC horn, it's flat and has no "trumpet" opening.

Then the stickers.

Look at how thick the Cosmoline is. You can actually feel the thickness of it by running your finger over where the sticker was and the strut tower.

Unbolted the fuse box and tied up the harness.

Took car of the AC lines and the other few things left in the bay.

And here's what we have left:

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz325 View Post
              Awesome, awesome project man!

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
              +1 for interest.
              You two want them? They need to be blasted, the chrome plating is coming off.

Comment

i want!!!! dibs haha

Comment

Damn. Think I'm almost sold now on the Alpina Valence.... or maybe Mtech II.... :(
                  I'm so confused.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                  1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                  2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

The plan is mostly Alpina everything on this E30 and I already have MT2 on my other.

What is sad is how high up the car is. That Alpina valence hangs 3in below the metal valence. The car is at least another 4 from there.

Can't wait till the suspension is on there, I demand scraping!

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                      i want!!!! dibs haha
                      Money calls dibs. :P

I need a new flywheel and clutch for my M50. :o

Comment

haha then they're open for taking seeing as i only have 100 bucks right now :/ haha. if you end up holding onto them i might be in texas sometime this summer :))

Comment

There's a good chance I will.

Comment

Lots accomplished in the 6 hours I worked on the car.

The plan was to get the interior out.

But first need to clean it up. :X

My $10 rear seat.

That's better:

Rear seat out

Some column stuff off and out

WIRES!

Left is the where the dash harness connects. Things like hazards, flashlight charger, etc. Right is the C302, this is where accessories plug in for power.

Dash out!

I felt like an idiot once I figured out how this came apart.

And then my phone died. So pics pretty much show the end result.

"BUT WHERE'S THE HARNESS????!!!!

Here it is!

Shit is long

Made this:

Each individual section zip tied to it's self then tied up.

Cloth tape shedding everywhere.

Called it a night :)

Comment

[QUOTE=glucklich21;2460285]Valve cover off for inspection!

No gunk to speak of, chain is nice and tight, no wear on the sprockets, and no oil leaking past into the spark plug hole. :)

How sure are you that the engine has 70k on the clock? Is it me or is that excessive oil staining for an engine with such low mileage? I only ask because it seems that all engines bought from a dismantler or shop always claim mileage between 60-90k in which I know from experience some are lying. Also, if no one has said it already, this would be a perfect time to throw in a new headgasket while youre at it. Maybe even new crank and rod bearings too. I was amidst a similar s50 build for my e30 until it was halted by a scored cylinder wall :(
                              Last edited by e46s54dr; 04-15-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

the pics of the wiring harness make me wanna cry.. I would never, in a million years, figure out wtf to do with all of that!

Amazing thread though, cannot wait to see the finished product :D
                                2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Working...
                                X