Finally Got an IX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Got an IX.

So I picked up this '89 325iX sedan in Zinnoberot and wanted to document my progress here on R3V. I bought it kind of impulsively for $1000, after looking around for a winter car for a couple of months.

Needless to say, don't ever expect a $1000 iX to be on the road in a week. Almost 6 months later, I'm still not done with it. But I'm getting really close...

Basically the car got an overhaul of the front end and auto-to-manual conversion. M3 control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, stabilizer bar endlinks, rebooted/regreased front axles.

Also cleaned up the m20 with a new headgasket, headbolts, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, intake and exhaust gaskets, resealed the oil pan, added a lightened m20 single mass flywheel.

Finished it all up with Bilstein HD's, H&R sports, and new brakes with stainless steel lines.

And of course a few other touches are being added, like an Mtech1 wheel, ZHP knob, z3 short shifter, 15x7 weaves, and a volvo lip.

Here's the pics for now....

Still have a laundry list of little things to do, the only parts I'm still going to purchase are tires and tie rods...

I'll post up my results in the Member's Ride section when it's fully completed.

Nice car, looks like you've made some good progress. Cant wait to see it when its all finished!

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

thanks! it really is nice for an iX. just a small spec of rust on the battery box. such a shame.

it has some light damage on the right corner of the front bumper. and some clear coat missing on the trunk lid. so it's a good thing I've got another bumper and valence and a friend who paints for beer.

i'm looking forward to having it done by the weekend perhaps...we'll see what motivation brings.

it's been a ton of work so far!!!

Comment

That's one clean $1k iX. Looks like your doing it right.

Comment

proper.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

what wheels are those? and nice project! makes me want to make my ix that clean!

Comment

thanks guys! i've spent so much time cleaning and painting with everything apart and it's good to see that hard work doesn't go unnoticed...

the wheels are 15x7 et26 made by OZ. I'm not sure of the model name, but they are specifically for volkswagen/bmw e30/audi 4x100 patterns. best part is that i picked them up off of craigslist for $100!

looking to put some 205/50/15's on them for summer use. ix baskets or 15" steelies for winter.

I just need to put fluids in and route part of the wiring harness down to the oil level sensor. bleed my brakes and clutch. install a couple of power steering hoses. tighten a few hose clamps.

and of course a few cosmetic things. orange gauge cluster needles, shadowline, black door handles and map pockets, and a map light mirror from my old range rover.

hoping to have it up and driving very soon...

thanks again for the feedback, it's great motivation!

Comment

Originally posted by BonnschE30 View Post
                M3 control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints
                Where did you get these parts?

resealed the oil pan
                What did you go with for oil pan sealant?

Looks like youre doing a great job! I am in the same boat. Almost ready to drop the engine, tranny and t-case.

Comment

did you trim the bump stops on those HD's? Youll bottom out alot if you didnt. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=171644
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow.. Looks amazing. You've got to love the practicality of a four door iX.

Very nice rim choice and the paint looks nice, keep it up dude!
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

The the e30 m3 CABs are just the stock replacement for any e30. The lollipops are the same. Pressed them in with a ball joint tool and impact gun. They are tough to get on the control arm though, lots of lubrication and muscle. Make sure you line up the respective marks.

The inner ball joints came from Rennsport, a Canadian company in Scarborough, Ontario. Don't let the rumors that they are NLA get to you. They still exist. Outers came from partsgeek. All are oem Lemfoerder pieces. I replaced all my ball joints for less than half of what it would cost to buy 2 new arms.

For sealing the oil pan, I used silicone RTV. I put a little more on that some threads I've seen, but the excess was simple to wipe away. I also used it to seal the extension to the oil pan that houses the passenger's side front axle. Had a small leak there and it sealed right up.

I wanted to trim the bump stops in the Billy's, but didn't know where to begin since they were internal. Then after already installing them, I came across a thread on removing the cap on the bottom with a hammer and chisel, it seemed easy. However, I didn't do it at the time. The fronts are not new, so I'm assuming I'll replace them eventually and just do it then. Or upgrade to Ground Controls, Konis, and camber plates.

*edit* Aaron, that is the exact thread I read!!! Wish I would've spent more time searching....thanks for sharing your experience with the IX community.

And the wheels are not OZ, that's another set I was confusing these with. They are actually 15x7 26et as stated, the company is called MSW. The model is 1956-E.

Thanks for the great comments guys, I've been looking forward to owning IX for a long time. I'll keep you posted on my progress. And of course the finished product...
                      Last edited by BonnschE30; 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

so finished everything on my to-do list up. went to start the car and I'm getting cranking and no fuel to the rail.

jumped the fuel pump relay, the pump ran.

hoping to check the crank position sensor and replace the relay with a known working unit.

keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comment

no spark either, so I went straight to the crank sensor position aka pulse sensor. 1 of the wires was broken. let's hope this is it!

Comment

Was that it?
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

You sir have the exact same car as me. I just did the exact same stuff suspension and head work. Next is the manual conversion. Look clean though congrats, hope you get it running soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X