X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot of M20 goody here.

Comment

Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
      Just caught up on the progress of the build, looking good!

I picked up an 02 myself, will be giving you a call at IE soon, gotta get some m20 head parts to finish my 2.9L which will now be going into the '70 02.

Do you guys have motor mounts for sale for the swap? also, you gonna use a getrag 260 on either of these? I plan to use the e30 drivetrain.

What do you think your "Strongest small case diff" can handle power wise?

my 2.9L m20 will be turbo'd, so it looks like 2002haus guy's rear subframe is my only option?

Maybe I'll shoot ya a PM with all my questions so I dont flood your build! hah.

Hey, Yes I saw your posting over on the faq! (I go by AceAndrew over there). We don't carry motor mounts, I refer people over to Chris @ only02.com. He makes a very good mount.

I REALLY don't like using the getrag 260 on this setup, the E21 323 getrag 245 makes the swap very clean and efficient where as with the 260 requires a lot of finagling (Meaning more chances of screwing up and I've seen several screwed up. Of course people don't like posting their mistakes though.) IF you're using the 260, just be sure you measure twice and cut once.
      If you haven't seen this link already, its a very good intro. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/49429-m20-conversion/

The strength of the diff also depends a great deal on how you drive the car. I'd feel comfortable running the diff up to about 220whp with my driving style. Any more than that and it's medium-case time. The 02autohas setup is NOT your only option.

Couple other diff options include:
      1) You can consider grafting in the entire E30 subframe and trailing arms, this would also give you rear disks. I've got some detailed shots of this if you email me.
      2) Graft on the hoop portion of the E30 subframe onto the 2002 subframe.
      3) Pull an Oscar and go all sorts of crazy ... http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/1101...-turbo-525whp/
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Any new updates or things in the works? I know you been busy with your new little guy! Cheers to a new year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Webers....

sub fucking scribed.
          Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 01-08-2014, 11:07 AM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
            Webers....

sub fucking scribed.

Fixed.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Sucked Orange View Post
              bleh red engine cover? its not a ferarri. german machines look best in black
              I prefer black wrinkle painted valve covers also, but remembered that the Cecotto Edition E30 M3 came with red.

Of course he was Italian.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                I prefer black wrinkle painted valve covers also, but remembered that the Cecotto Edition E30 M3 came with red.

Of course he was Italian.
                I did not know that existed! Very cool.

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                Any new updates or things in the works? I know you been busy with your new little guy! Cheers to a new year.

Thanks! He's a pretty good kid; eats, poops, pees, and grunts.

I’m getting geared up for the transmission’s rebuild (ba-dum-cha) along with a couple more AN fittings for the oil cooler. For the transmission I got some new synchros and a couple other internal bits on the way from BMW. Synchros are now $66 each list price, ouch. I’ll try and take the time to do a good rebuild tutorial again.

Out of curiosity I sized up the differences between the E21 323i getrag 245 and the E30 325i getrag 260. You can see how the 323i tranny would fit much easier.

The 245 weighed 62 pounds
                The 260 weighed 74 pounds
                So the Getrag 245 is 12 pounds lighter than the 260.

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Rad picture. You can see how that 12 lbs really stacks up in the Bellhousing area.

The 245 is from a 323i or a 320i? Thanks for doing the detailed write-ups. Definitely a nice change to see from the usual write-ups you see. I think i'll be ordering one of those transmission mount brackets here soon..
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                    The 245 is from a 323i or a 320i?
                    E21 320i/6, or 323i and early(up to 1984?) E30 6 cylinders from my experience anyway.

Comment

what's this thing?

Comment

Looks like the shift carrier to me.

Comment

It looks like the 245 is open....is the getrag 260 empty or does it still have fluids?

Thanks for the info Andrew. I'll definately think about using the e30 subframe...I'll have to take some measurements and look at the 02. But I'm definately going with the 260 for its robustness and their availability/price. (So sounds like my 02 will be e30 with 02 shell and front subframe).
                          (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
                          1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

I'm going with the 260 because its what I have and I like that it came from an E30. Also you can run any E30 SSK assuming you run the rear carrier bearing.

Not too excited about cutting up the trans tunnel though. They both have their pros and cons.

clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

The 260 was drained and the weights taken from two different scales.

I'll be blunt here, the only upside to using the getrag 260 is the initial cost is lower (and the 245 is trickier to find). In all other aspects that I've considered they are equal (robustness for example) or the 245 is better. It makes for a much more efficient and clean overall installation.

That being said, as I mentioned earlier there is nothing wrong in using the 260 as it will get the job done, but just as long as the person doing the work is comfortable and methodical in his fabrication.
                              Last edited by SkiFree; 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

You think the 245 can handle as much power as the 260?
                                (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
                                1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Working...
                                X