Going from home depot black to BMW-Imolarot in one summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from home depot black to BMW-Imolarot in one summer

So I bought my 1987 325i about 1.5 years ago. PO painted it flat black using home depot paint and a roller. Needless to say it looked like shit. Case in point:

So after driving around with it like this for over a year (with the paint constantly worsening and losing what little sheen it had) I decided I'd had enough. So I got to work.

Started off using an orbital sander with 150 grit, and got it to this point:

This was effective but also very slow going....I had a schedule to keep as I wanted to get this done before I went back to school. So I stepped it up and bought some spray on chemical paint stripper. This stuff was fun.

It did a great job of eating into the black without damaging what was underneath, but unfortunately a lot of sanding was still required. So I kept at it.

^ The driver door there is a good example of what it looked like right after scraping off all the stripper.

Then I ran into this little issue.

So instead of doing the sensible thing and blowing my entire paint job fund on a set of measley 195's, I found a set of basketweaves with 90% tread about 100 miles from my house. The guy also had a straight hood and set of side mirrors, both of which I needed. I offered him a trade for some lowering springs I had never installed and he took it. So I made the drive.

I was REALLY happy with this. The weaves made an absolutely huge difference in the appearance of the car. Back to paint prep...

Shadowline!

My parents love my hobby:

Putting the new hood on:

Ready to go in:

It took the shop about three days, then I went to pick it up. I couldn't be happier with the results, especially considering what I paid.

Red tails are next :D

Suggestions welcome

Wow, nice improvement. My only arguments are that you should have done a plastic swap in the rear and an is lip up front before paint.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

yes yes yes! no offense but i really hated your previous paint job.

nice come up
      ]

Comment

What a difference! Nice job!

Comment

wow! now all you need is euro bumpers or plastic rear bumper :D

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
            Wow, nice improvement. My only arguments are that you should have done a plastic swap in the rear and an is lip up front before paint.
            Everything I wanted to say haha

I love it man, they did a great job painting that =)
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Thought about the rear plastic but it's a lot of work. I'm personally loving the painted DB. So unless I come across a plastic pre-cut for early models it stays :D

Comment

looks a lot better! it looked like shit when i first saw it but the PO was a college student and didn't have a lot of money. i think he also put more into his japanese cars than the e30.
                Ich bin erstaunlich!

Comment

looks great :up:

an IS lip+ IS spoiler would be my next step.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

how much?

Comment

don't get all red tails. get stock tails. the red on red will look off
                      -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                      -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                      MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                      Got Drop?? ;-)
                      Originally posted by JinormusJ
                      But of course
                      E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                        X