Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 powered E30 track car

Hi Everyone!
    My name is Glenn and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. This is my story and build thread of a track warrior!

I'm a huge e30 fan and bought my first e30 back in 2009. The car was a 1990 BMW e30 318is M42. 190000Kms and in mint condition. After owning the car for a few months I installed some lowered springs. Then due to my driving style the clutch started slipping so I figured that it was time for an upgrade. I went and bought a AASCO motorsport lightweight flywheel (9lb) and Exedy heavy duty clutch. The change to a single mass flywheel was really nice as it freed up the top end and the car pulled stronger.

Around this time I had the idea of racing it. I have always been into racing as my dad use to rally so I've spectated at heaps of hillclimbs and sprints. In early 2010 after having to car for 8 months I decided to enter Mt Cootha hillclimb. Obviously the car would need some race modifications to be competitive. I bought a set of coilovers and 15x8s XXR rims with Toyo R888s. I finished the event 3rd in class and caught the racing bug!

Next event I entered was Noosa hillclimb. By then I had added a full exhaust, and a 4.11 LSD. By the end of the weekend I was in first place and had broken the class record 4 times! After this I entered as many events as possible with the main focus of my mods being weight reduction. The car ended up tipping the scales at 1040kgs with me and half a tank of fuel (probably equates to around 950kgs dry). I went on to win Mt Cotton Hillclimb 3 times in a row!

After noticing the engine starting to blow smoke I summed up my options for a rebuild. At first I wanted to stroke to M42 to 2.1 liters, but this would push me into the 2000cc and over class. If that was going to happen then I was going to do it properly. So I started to source componets to convert to a 1990 M3 Evo 2.5L motor.

At the same time as this I went back to Noosa hillclimb and took 1.5 seconds off my previous best putting me 2 seconds slower then a Porsche 997 GT3.

So at the end of 2010 I found a 2.5L S14 in the states at a super low price, so I snapped it up and shipped it over. The engine came with 276/284 cams, standard Evo 2 bottom end, 48mm throttle bodies, carbon intake and Alpha N computer. The engine arrived in mid February and I started gathering parts for a rebuild, CP pistons, ARP studs etc. I was lucky that I decided to rebuild as the engine had been put together poorly. Everything was new, pistons, rods, crank, oil pump etc except 2 of the rods were put in backwards, a timing chain bolt was loose and there was 2 oil filter housing gaskets installed.

I also started collecting for the install, upgraded brakes and suspension. This is when things started going down hill. While gathering parts I was still entering heaps of events. Towards the end of April I entered a time attack at Lakeside park raceway. I had never raced there before, only driven there once at 'fast road speed'. The morning of race day arrived and I woke to find pissing down rain! So after the drivers briefing I went onto the track I very wet conditions. As the day went on the track dried and times came down until another down pour. By the time I hit the track again these was a dry line forming. At this point I will tell you my approach to racing is 'go hard or go home'. Something that came a bit me in the arse! Coming around the back side of the circuit I was flat in 4th doing about 140kph when the back end stepped. The rest was just a ride as wet grass doesn't slow you down much. I bounced of barriers and came to rest 200m down the road. The car had heaps of scratches and the sill was smashed in.

After inspecting the damage I decided in would be cheaper to get a new shell. Lucky at the time a guy at work was selling a 318i so I bought it off him for $400 not running. After stripping it to a bare shell and installing all my suspension I sent it to get a roll cage. This is when the guy doing my cage said he found rust in the chassis rails! So I am back to square one.

The engine is being built by the fantastic lads (Simon and Pierz) over at RX Automotive as I write this. These guys have helped me out on more than one occasion and are always happy to give me advice! I am looking at a few different shells this week and will update when I have one.
    Thanks for reading!

Glenn

Last edited by grt; 02-20-2016, 04:48 PM.

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Last edited by grt; 09-13-2011, 06:35 AM.

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Comment

That's my new background on my work computer! Just wow!
      Originally posted by LJ851
      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
      #teamross
      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Fucking sick. Man that would be fun to drive, wish I were close enough to come see/hear it in action.
        Nice work :up:

R.H.D
        M-technic I club

Comment

very cool. that car has got to be fun

Originally posted by vlad
          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

This is great man! I'll be paying attention to this...
            1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
            sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
            The Build...

Comment

meaty tires look mean
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop?? ;-)
              Originally posted by JinormusJ
              But of course
              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Good to see more Aussies on here :)
                Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

hell yeah! Love the pics. This makes me want to paint my rockers red like the rest of the car. They were black when I bought it so I just freshened up the paint on them. Might be reconsidering that after looking at yours.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                  $5 shipped?
                  Originally posted by MarkD
                  You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Looks like your car is well sorted Glenn. Nice job. How did you find the 4.1 lsd with the M42

Comment

sick ride!

Comment

Love the car but I must say I was disappointed not to see an M3 fender conversion done as well! That would make the car simply stunning!

Comment

that is awesome. always enjoy seeing a well put together e30 in action.
                          Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

This is my dream car setup. S14 in a 318is shell. So awesome man keep it up.

-NICK

Comment

sick as fuck!
                              i would change or repaint wheels but man this thing is clean and slick!

Comment

Working...
                              X