Sleeping Beauty...all beauty no bondo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping Beauty...all beauty no bondo

It has been a long time coming but finally starting to be a reality. The black "Mr. Personality" car has too much body damage to actually want to repair so he needed a new body to inhabit.

Sleeping Beauty is a 1987 325is Alpine White I with roughly 160k miles on the chasis, mostly VIN matching panels, and has seen some pretty abusive days in her past. I came upon this shell from a posting here on r3v and was lucky enough to be the one that was able to get her from SF.

The PO took out the motor. It had an 2.7i stroker, boosted. The owner before him never put in downpipes thus burning the crap out of the engine bay, which lead to excess heat on the ECU wire harness melting the coating, causing a short, leading to an electrical fire thus him selling the car. Also found out later from the DMV it couldn't pass SMOG which is another reason he probably sold it.

Being that the car had a turbo setup and the PPO was not one to do things "the right way." The owner hammered the passenger side tire well to make room for the turbo, and bashed the RAD core supports to make room for the intercooler piping. And just for good measure, pretty much crushed or broke every useful tab for holding key components in the engine bay (i.e., coolant expansion tank, windshield wiper fluid reservoir, MAF, ABS, battery box area)

I imagine most of the work on this car is going to go into getting the engine bay back to spec. Prepping for paint and resembling everything will be the fun part.

Here are some pics of the day my grandpa checked it out:

Some pics of me getting it home before gutting everything:

Finally making it to my grandparents house to get some much needed bodywork after sitting in my parking spot for almost a month:

Went to the junkyard to get some parts that we are going to need to get started:

Here are some after shots of getting some of the body work done. My grandpa is old school and doesn't like to use Bondo unless he has to. So 99% of this projects will be without it:

I won't getting back out there for a couple of weeks. Also I forgot to get shots of his car collection, which I will post when I go back.

FUTURE PLANS:

PB Swap
    4.10 LSD
    Re-spray Alpine White (not sure if I or II)
    E36 Steering Rack
    Rebuild ATE brakes
    Stainless brake lines
    GE Coilovers with Bilstein Sports (450 front, 650 Rear)
    Skid Plate
    All black interior (Vinyl Sports fronts and vinyl rear)
    Crack-free dash
    Possible sound system (if so, components up front 2 or 3 ways in the rear all amped. possible 10 maybe 12in sub...Alpine Type X)
    Upgraded sway bar
    Strut brace
    Exhaust

Thanks for checking it out,

Derek
    Last edited by nebulous123; 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM.
    '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
    '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

How much did you pay for it?
    91 318is

Comment

What a project for grandpa! Bless his heart.

Good luck with it. Keep up the pictures please.

Comment

Congrats man.
        Looking forward to meeting the car sometime soon.
        Last edited by iwantspeed; 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM.

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

Wow. That's a ruff shell. Not sure I'd be up for that....but more power to ya.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Looks like a damn good shell to me, rust-free Cali car.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
              Congrats man.
              Looking forward to meeting the car sometime soon.
              Thanks Alex. You will be meeting her soon enough. If you ever want to come out and hang while I am working on it you are always welcome to. I know that your work schedule will probably say otherwise. But you are always welcome.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              Wow. That's a ruff shell. Not sure I'd be up for that....but more power to ya.
              George you are the man and I actually had an e30 electrical idea that I wanted to run by you based on your previous success on making cool mods.
              I'll PM you.

Originally posted by davem View Post
              Looks like a damn good shell to me, rust-free Cali car.
              Thats the way I have to keep thinking about it...at least this isn't a rust bucket. There is some rust in the trunk area but its very small and was actually going to be removed anyways due to the PB swap. Just lots of little things and the engine bay.

Other than that she is a pretty straight body.
              '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
              '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nebulous123 View Post
                Thanks Alex. You will be meeting her soon enough. If you ever want to come out and hang while I am working on it you are always welcome to. I know that your work schedule will probably say otherwise. But you are always
                Awesome
                I just picked up another side gig. E30 related.
                Maybe since certain brackets are shaved if you go the m50 route you can shave the engine bay.

-
                Project
                Parts for Sale
                Feedback
                YouTube Channel

Comment

The rear wheel.....it looks like the same wheel some dude had on his e30 who lives right by santa barbara high (well his car is always there, so I assume he lives there...)

Looks like a project!

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post

The rear wheel.....it looks like the same wheel some dude had on his e30 who lives right by santa barbara high (well his car is always there, so I assume he lives there...)

Looks like a project!
                    this dude....is his car black? and is the car parked at the school or near the area?

if yes to any of that its me and its my DD that looks like hell. This shell is getting the guts of that car. That car with those rims you speak of are no longer on it. its on weaves now.

you a DON? i never see your car around that area
                    '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

what kind of mesh wheels are those? Can't quite tell from the picture
                      Build Threads:
                      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                        what kind of mesh wheels are those? Can't quite tell from the picture
                        I honestly don't know. I will be out there in 2 weekends to get some work done. I can check them. I had someone already PM me about getting one of the rims to make a table out of it. I will not be using them so if you want to make a table out of the other one let me know. I don't have a final date when they will be removed from the car.
                        '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

Yep. Black e30. Parked right next to that modern house....I drive by every morning. I park on the side of school :)

Comment

So I finally got time off to work on my car. Got 3 days in fact and made a little progress. Mainly focused on the engine bay because it needs the most work and got a little more body work done. Maybe one more weekend on the engine bay and it will be ready for paint. Then sanding the body, then working on the rear valance. Not that this is a big deal but I figured out that the car is NOT an IS model. While I think the entire left rear quarter panel was replaced at some point (because all the original VIN stickers are gone) my grandpa says otherwise. Everything on the car especially under it, looked exactly like my E models I have. And when I finally got into the engine bay and started cleaning I found the factory vacuum diagram for a...you guessed it, 2.7 eta motor. Also the transmission that was left behind was an Getrag 260 and the VIN didn't match.

While I was cleaning up the engine bay, I decided that the factory seal spreading was pretty weak by BMW standards. So I removed all of it (still in the process of) and going to add a nice small bead the way it should have been done from the factory. Taking a butane torch to it proved easy removal by scraping and sanding. Its going to look tits when I get through with it. Also welded in the new tops of the core support because the old ones were trashed. Also figured out later that the PO had cut and bent an area for cold air intake over the ABS and behind the headlights. So we had to pull it out and weld it back up flush, not that bad considering PO could have cut the whole section out.

Also I have been back and forth about throwing in my eta motor out of my black 87 just to get it back on the road. But with Einsteins coilover GB happening I do want some more power and less wires to go in that beautiful engine bay. So I was thinking 24v M50 or better if I got a good price. So I need you guys to talk me into it so I can shave the engine bay before I paint it.

I didn't end up getting any pics of my Grandpa's collection because I was lazy and forgot but I did snap a couple of the updated status of the car. Enjoy.

Last edited by nebulous123; 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM.
                            '84 325e - "Elizabeth"

sigpic

Comment

You should be so thankful your grandpa is old school because you are going to get it done right the first time and it will last. My hat is off to you my friend.

Looks like a great project and what makes it even better is you get to build it with another family member. Great start so far, keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X