Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I've talked with Caswell a number of times about things. But his entry to the Baja (with the original e30) was one of the deciding factors for me getting an e30 over a Volvo lol.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

So just to finish up the lighting stuff. Today UPS brought my final piece, a Hella 350 pencil-beam LED bar. So time to mount and wire everything in the final setup.

A few requirements for this:
      1. Lights all have to have quick-disconnect plugs. The old 500s were just hard-wired to the car and that was an issue more than once.
      2. The entire lightbar assembly (with all the large lights) had to be quickly and easily removable and installable.
      3. DPDT switch has to let lights be on EITHER with the low-beams (which I prefer since my lows are pretty good) OR the high-beams (per NASA Rally rules).

So, after much measuring, drilling, splicing, and plug-building, here's the final setup. The Hella lightbar is actually on the bumper and so will remain installed all the time. The other lights attached to the assembly can all be removed at once by unplugging them and taking off four bolts that run through the bumper holding the entire assembly on. I did a test and it takes less than 5 minutes going slowly, so that's good.

The upper bar is an ebay one, but has good brightness and a wide spread for cornering and shore/medium fill. The Hella 3000s (big round ones) are driving beams so medium/long distance with some fill. The Hella 350 is pencil-beam so a very narrow beam and very long distance. Will take pics one of these nights after I go out somewhere and aim everything.

Some pics of the setup

Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Will have some minor updates later in the week, but we're continuing prepping the car for Black River Stages in about 6 weeks. In the meantime, we are having some shirts made, so if you'd like one of our team/crew shirts, here's the link. Front and back print and they should be pretty nice quality. The're selling for "cost" so we're not trying to make any profit on you guys but would of course be happy with any moral support and wearing our swag :)

Create and sell products to your fans with Spring. Creators can monetize their content and earn their fair share. Plus, it’s free.

Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Time to do some catching up, I guess. First, car build updates and then on to WDCR RallyCross #5 last weekend.

So let's start with the dumb stuff. I had dropped the right side of the rear suspension to measure some things (basically by just unbolting the top of the rear shock). Anyhow, I left it like that for a few days and then went to turn the car around. Ooops....shock dropped out when the suspension drooped leaving the driveway. So I reached in and pushed it back into the holes and bolted it up from inside the trunk. No biggie. More on that later.

Next day I installed some 10" 250lb front springs to replace the 8" springs already in the car, as I mentioned before

So, that all done, time to test drive through the woodland roads nearby. Car felt good though there was a mysterious clunk from the rear end on certain corners, and though the car is noisy I kept hearing a faint noise that sounded odd. But car felt fine so I cruised for a bit, then headed home. When I got home decided to take a quick look to make sure things were tight back there and.....dammit. When the suspension dropped the day before the spring fell out and cocked diagonally.....but was kind of held in by the shock assembly so the car still felt ok. Problem: it was rubbing on the CV axle outer boot and totally destroyed it, spraying greasse everywhere and probably ruining the axle.

So, that was dumb.......had to scrounge up another CV axle to swap that in. Not a bit job, but still stupid and one I didn't want to do. Plus the axle in there had fresh boots on it from last winter, grr.

So on to the next project...more reinforcement. The reason I had unbolted the rear stuff anyhow.

Basically, I bent up and cut some thickish steel to make cap plates for the rear shock towers. Not particularly pretty (it's tight working in there) but should give some added reinforcement and peace of mind for landing jumps, etc..

Then cleaned and painted the trunk white to make it a bit easier to find stuff in there. ALso rigged up a new way to hold my jack handle, whcih I think is pretty smart ;)

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/BMW%20318i%20Rally%202016/IMG_20160805_173648324_HDR.jpg[/oimg]

In the meantime, also went over to help Chris and Stephen and Eric diagnose a blown engine on their 325i, which turned out to be messy (they had to swap it out immediately to make the next event).....

Then installed some new hood pins since my old ones were getting pretty rusty

Then went and worked with Jim and Amanda on her rallycross car, trying to get it ready for last weekend's event..

And checked out the RageCage track car damage from Jim's wall incident up in Canada next month

Praying Mantis help

-------------
          So now let's talk racing! Last weekend was a test-and-tune Saturday and racing Sunday. I went to a late concert in DC saturday instead (yay for 3 hours of sleep + hangover + 90 degrees in the sun all day Saturday). I think my competitors must have been pleased at my sleepy condition Sunday morning lol.

To boot, most of the crew were there and had their rides for once (Josh S., Corey, Nick with the M3). Nick had some issues on Saturday but got the car going for Sunday (read his thread on GRM for details). Josh and Corey's cars seemed to be up to snuff. Amanda's car wasn't ready yet so she co-drove with me again, and Jim (my codriver) co-drove with Steven's newly re-engined 325i. As always, Eric and Neil were there in the Dirty Industries 325i as well, and we had some other cars inthe class as well.
          All in all there were almost 25 RWD cars registered out of a total field of less than 40......guess all the Subies are brokedown......

With a small field, though, that promised a lot of runs, and it woudl turn out to be fortuitious. The morning course was VERY technical. I figured that would help me and on the first run I jumped into a good lead already. But it wouldn't last. A couple mistakes and sloppy cones over our 6 or 7 morning runs, and by lunch I was sitting in 5th place, probably about 6-7 seconds off the lead with a bunch of tough competitors above me (minus Nick, who broke the M3's suspension on his second run and retired for the day in frustration). Well, basically all of the fast guys ahead of me at the break would certainly make it hard to catch up.

So for the afternoon the course was more open and that (I thought) would seal the deal for the more powerful/heavier cars since usually "handing" courses is where I do best. So we got going with everyone runnign similar times. But as luck (or bad luck) would have it, Corey broke ANOTHER axle on his turbo 240 and had to bum rides in various cars so I managed to jump him, sitll behind the Dirty Industries guys and Stephen, all of whom were running pretty clean and pretty quick. Josh S. picked up some cones (driving borrowed cars since he had a driveshaft issue in the morning) and dropped back as well. I started pushing harder and stayed clean all afternoon (IIRC) and thanks to a lot of runs (9, I think), I slowly reeled them in as they got a cone here and there and ran slightly slower times than me. By about the 6th run I had jumped over Eric and Neil (though they were within a second or two still) and was right behind Stephen, who had been clean all day but picked up a couple cones to let me get close. On the 6th run I had a fast one and he didn't and coned again and dropped into 3rd or 4th, and I took the lead. Eric Eisele managed to take half of my margin back on the 8th run, but I put down a fast 9th run to seal the deal! In addition, I had the second fastest total time of the event overall, only behind MOD AWD winner Adam Kimmett, so that's good as well :)

So: Won this event, that's 4 wins in 5 events this year (which is great considering the strong competition). So that puts me in a strong position to win the championship again even if I don't win again this season (not that I'm not going to try). More importantly, the car still had nothing break, no issues....whcih seems to be the bane of several of my MR competitors recently. This is good since I'm trying to make sure the car can survive full rallies, and breaking in rallycross woudl be a bad precedent there.

Here's results if anyone wants to see:

(on the right, event #5)

Video of Amanda on the tricky morning course:
          Amanda Pemberton driving in the Pitchblack e30, with Jim Spoth on the co-drive and commentary :)

Video of Me on the less tricky afternoon course:
          Pitchblack Motorsports BMW 318i Mod RWD class winner. Afternoon run that clinched the win. This course was far less technical than the longer morning course.

And some pics:

Hiding from lunchtime storms

Driving home into armageddon that almost blew the truck and trailer off the road...
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Let's do a few projects since it is below 95 degrees today, finally. First, been meaning for a few weeks to take care of installing rear air bags in the Sequoia to reduce rear-end squat when towing. Was a pretty easy install and less than a hundred bucks, so figure, why not?

Then UPS arrived with a new tach/shift light. My cheapo shift-light stopped working and the equally cheapo Sunpro tach I've been using seemed to have slow "action" and terrible night-lighting. So even though I usually try not to spend money on stuff I don't "need" per se, in this case figured I'd go ahead and do it just because I'm looking at it all day when driving, so might as well look at something that doesn't suck lol.

Then walked inside to cool down and clicked on the TV and this was on. Thought it was somewhat apropos lol

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So on Sunday will go out with the Bolivian Rallysprint guys at the Rally Farm nearby to get some testing and shakedown done. In the meantime, more prep stuff...

New brake rotors....since i've been using these for 4 years and they're kind of gross. I do love Rockauto....this isn't a road racing car, so I have no problem with some $13 closeout rotors. After all, the last set of $13 rotors lasted four years of driving, rallycross, rally, and autocross just fine

Also don't like the feel of my front left wheel bearing (the only one that I haven't replaced since I started this build), so there's a Moog hub/bearing on the way. While I wait, pulling my Motorsport Hardware studs out. Still in great shape...

On to another project I've been meaning to do for a while. For street/track with the M42, the trans stock crossmember is fine, but for the kind of impacts (jumps as well as possibly physical hits from below), I wanted to reinforce it in two ways: first, the crossmember itself, and second to add additional mounting bolts in addition to the one stock bolt on each end (in that "groove" in the chassis).

So first I boxed the brace itself, and added 3-4" "ears" on each end with some beefy steel stock.

Then lined them up for two extra outer bolts that go through the tripled-up subframe seam into the front floors of the car, and through-bolted. So that gives me some peace of mind.

Also picked up a used Longacre bottle cage like the one we use on the track car. The track car cage (Jim's) I guess we'll bolt up to his side to use for him

Oh, and printed out some new vinyl with our new logo for the car

Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Do you have an itemized checklist for us for service?

Comment

I wish I could come out on Sunday but my rear spring adjusters won't get here in time :(

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                  2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by bluej View Post
                    Do you have an itemized checklist for us for service?
                    yes, I'm putting one together ;)

but open to suggestions as well. After all, you're the crew chief ;)
                    Last edited by irish44j; 08-26-2016, 07:19 PM.
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
                      I wish I could come out on Sunday but my rear spring adjusters won't get here in time :(
                      Well unless you also have a cage being installed, you wouldn't be able to run anyhow. These guys require 6-point cage minimum (NRS/RA cage recommended). I suspect it will be.....interesting.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Last weekend I went out to the Beltway Rally Sport rallysprint at the Rally Farm (that's a lot of rally in one sentence!). This group was formerly known as Bolivian Rally Sprint because it's about 95% Bolivian and hispanic guys. I had heard various things about them over the years - mostly relating to their events being very "laissez-faire" so to say.....very lax on rules, safety, and schedule. So I was prepared to be frustrated to some degree...

But as things would turn out, we had a great time. Yes - their rules are pretty loose - more or less "some kind of 6-point cage or more" is required and I don't recall seeing any tech inspection going on. With Jim out of town, fellow rallycrosser Brian Battocchi came out to co-drive with me and to test out his fancy new Stilo helmet (we use a Stilo WRC intercom). We showed up at 8am as the schedule showed as "arrival" and....

....nobody there, except the Rally Farm owner Lance, on his tractor. Hmm. Lance filled us in that these guys just "roll in whenever." About an hour later a dozen or so rigs pulled in with a variety of rally-ish cars on them....some nicely setup Subarus, several Civics and Sentra SE-Rs, and a few other random cars. Only one other RWD car showed, an old AE86 that looked mightly low for rally.

We figured it would be time to get running, but everyone seemed more intent on setting up sun tents, grills, and cooking breakfast and socializing. IN the meantime, someone told us that the course was open for driving (at full speed!). We took the opportunity to make several laps of the course so Brian could practice writing out stage notes. The venue right now is basically a HUGE rallycross course - mostly flat on big farm fields. At full speed we were turning runs in about 2 minutes (speeds probably up to about 70-75mph at most). Obstacles and course was laid out with huge rolls of hay. The Rally Farm is cutting much longer courses through the nearby woods and other fields, but those won't be open until next spring.

Anyhow, eventually the event got underway. Each team would do 5 consecutive laps of the course (nonstop), with 2 other cars on course at the same time (gapped by about 45 seconds). For the day we ended up doing 3 "stages" with each one of them around 10 minutes in length, for a total of about half an hour at full-speed on course. Since we've run rallycross here before (and used part of the rallycross course) I was pretty comforatble with the surface and we ran well. The only rough part was the two transitions between fields, which were basically partially-filled drainage ditches where we had to brake hard and "compress" into before popping up the other side back onto the smooth field. Many Subarus lost their front clips on this section, lol....

Anyhow, in the end we finished 2nd in the 2WD class (about 1 second behind the winner over 1,800 seconds!) and 3rd overall, so that was cool. Between run groups there was much loud latin music, much chatting (sometime using a 3rd guy to traslate), had some great fresh-cooked food, some Modelo and Sangria, etc. Overall I'd describe it more as a "family picnic with some rally going on" than a hardcore motorsports event, but it was a great time nonetheless.

Oh, and we did manage to hit a hay bale lol....

Here's some video of one of the runs

Pitchblack Motorsports bmw 318i running the August rallysprint at the Rally Farm in Catlett, VA. This is our 2nd "stage" of three. Overall finish 2nd in 2WD ...

And some pics

So, near the end I did get an odd feeling in the car that my LSD wasn't working well. Odd since I just recently rebuilt it in the spring. This is the small-case 3.91 original to this car. Tonight I torque-checked it and sure enough.....it is now an open diff. That's pretty annoying...not really sure what the deal is unless I screwed up something in the rebuild.

Anyhow, will put the medium-case 3.73 back in (I was kind of planning to anyhow, for stage rally). That diff seems to be in good shape with good lockup. One issue is that the prior owner somehow cross-threaded one of the upper mounting bolts though, and I coudln't thread it tightly without additional stripping.

So, since I want all four bolts holding strong I drilled out the hole and tapped it to an M14 x 1.5 thread (original is M12). Then I took an old M12 1.5 wheel stud and cut off the end of it, leaving the "splined" area. Then shaved that down a bit and took a die to the "fat" section to make it M14x1.5. So now it can screw into the diff with the M14 end (with red loctite) and have an M12 stud on the top for a regular 19mm head nut. This will also help locate the diff during install, so that's good.

Oh, also made one of my new exhaust moutn brackets. I hate the stock e30 rubber mounts...so wimpy. So welded on some steel rod so I could use some poly hangers I had left over from the Subaru

Oh, and we got our driver/crew shirts in :)

So, one rallycross on the 11th and then off to Black River Stages, where we'll pit with Ozgur (M50 e30), Dan Downey (M20 e30), and Chris Nonack in his XR4Ti.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

And some other stuff. ....

Well, as it turns out, somehow I toasted my 3.91 small-case LSD at the rallysprint. That's pretty annoying since I rebuilt it less than 6 months ago. Also annoying because I like the ratio and the light weight. So....under the extremely dirty car and pull it out so I can put in the medium case 3.73. Yay. I love dried clay falling all over my face for a couple hours...

Meanwhile, Ozgur dropped off a sheet of HDPE for me so I could finish up my underbody protection. So I cut it and mounted it - two bolts to the rear end of the main skid, and two to the crossmember just behind the trans mount. It's not steel but shoudl provide some measure of protection from rocks and stuff that could hit/damage the transmission and trans mount.

Finally, did some light-aiming

Here's with just the H1 (depo) smilies low-beams

Now adding to the Hella 3000 Rallyes

Now adding the Hella 350 LED pencil-beam bar and the eBay LED flood bar

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So, a few more pre-BRS updates...

First...I finally blew one of my Bilsteins, which have been on the car for 5 years of rallycross/rallysprint. It was a rear and not totally blown, but was losing droop travel and felt crappy. So have a pair of new ones on the way to put on this week.

Second, picked up three more 14" basketweaves. I want to use these because IMO they are stronger than bottlecaps due to the spoke design going out to the barrel directly. Anyhow, of course I had to paint them to match the rest of the wheels lol

Last project...I've been meaning to do this for a while but Ozgur was talking yesterday about how bad a location the stock e30 battery is for stage (since it would get destroyed in any quarter-panel hit). Which I agree with. Unfortunately, the e30 trunk with my current setup has limited usable space since the cage crossbar is lower than the height of the battery. So, I went to the only usable space I could find and mounted it there, in a box. With 5/16 threaded rod to large washer plates under the trunk floor. It's more solid than in the stock location, for sure.

The placement also still allows the stock battery positive cable to reach well, and I switched the ground cable to bolt into the old rear seatbelt threaded brackets on the driver's side.

On the upside, this also gives me a good storage area in the trunk for our little bag of bungees and straps, for our impact gun, and for the spillkit - all in the old battery tray.

The jacking board will have our toolkit strapped over it when racing

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I paused from the e30 for a moment today to pick up another (shocker....black) project car for this winter....assuming we keep the e30 in one piece at BRS, that is!

Anyhow, for a while I had thought about buying another e30 to make into a nice weekend cruiser, but it's really no fun just building something you've already built once, I think. So went with something from the same country and same time frame, something that also has 4 cylinders, but something that is quite a bit different from an e30....

My much smaller build thread for this new ride is here if anyone wants to follow it, though it won't have any racing or rally action in it: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../121739/page1/

1988 Porsche 924S

That's the higher-compression 1988 2.5L....same engine that was in the 944 of that year! 160hp with torque makes it feel like a diesel compared to the 1.8 in the e30, haha...

Meanwhile......

Our friends at Motorsport Hardware sent us some goodies today to replace our 5-year-old open acorn nuts from MH that have held up to hundreds of impact gun hits and abuse. Ryan sent us out some of their extended motorsport lugnuts (which engage more thread), and we asked for them in the anodized rainbow-y color instead of black/gunmetal because these will be much easier to find when dropped in the gravel or grass!

Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

DC Rallycross #6 = Win #5 of the season, and clinched the season class championship!

Today we did the final shakedown for Black River, at DC SCCA rallycross at the Rally Farm in Catlett, VA. Over 55 cars running, perfect weather, and some fast and challenging courses. Since I have a ton of stuff to do tonight and in the next couple days, probably will be a while before any real write-up for this happens. But suffice to say that I drove well today on 12 runs of courses running 70+ seconds, and my mistakes were small and I drove mostly clean and very consistently, while my top competitors made some larger mistakes and were less consistent. Ended up winning MR class by over 10 seconds in the end (not bad since I was 3 seconds out of the lead at lunch). I ran with almost all of our stage gear in the car (minus the jack) and a full tank of fuel so running heavy as well, and the car felt good, had no issues of any kind, and had a nice cruise home on the country roads....

So, that's five wins out of the six events with two remaining, so that (I think) mathematically locks up the season championship win for me, even if I for some reason don't even show up for the last two events (two drops allowed). So, hooray for that.....successfully defended last year's championship in one of the most competitive classes locally, which is full of great drivers (though some cars of dubious reliability).

With that done, the next couple days will be spent finalizing what we're taking to Black River Stages, and we'll depart Thursday morning for the tow to upstate New York!
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X