Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no lol, I mean I didn't see it under the IM there and gave one little tug to get the IM off, not knowing there was still one hose attached, but it ripped right off with little effort. clearly it was no good if it tore that easily. Probably was already split. ;)
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Comment

I couldn't resist.

(I hope it at least made you grin a bit)

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
          lol, schweet!
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

looks kinda cartoony but it's a good shot of you :)

Comment

that's what I'd look like if I was Gō Mifune :D
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

reminds me of aeon flux.

Comment

A bit more cleanup and disassembly for a little while this evening while my wife watches something uninteresting on tv :D

Pulled the passenger side motor mount arm, alternator/bracket, and PS pump. All the components appear to be in good shape, but will clean them all up good. The belts look to be pretty new, and there is a spare one hanging over one of the pulleys not actually attached (possibly AC belt, even though AC is deleted)

Behind them is the big mess on here, which I noticed before and wanted to get a better look at. A LOT of gunk back there, much of it pretty fresh. From what I can see this appears to be an oil leak from the oil filter assembly, or just years of built up gunk from owners making a mess when changing the oil filter. I'm leaning toward the former, since the "freshest" gunk/oil appears to be around where the filter assembly attaches to the block, and it seems unlikely that this much oil could climb upward from the pan or from the front engine seal.

Other suggestions are welcome, though I guess it doesn't much matter since I'm going to replace all the gaskets and seals everywhere anyhow.

gunk!

a bit closer look.

block is looking a bit more bare, probably will stay like this until I get a stand and can drop the pan, filter assembly, etc and start on the timing case/front side.

the "auxiliary" workbench, though, is starting to get a bit crowded already
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

In other news, worked out a deal with Carlos (silence on Rev) from Condor Speed Shop where I'll be rocking some of his brand-new-made-for-me M10 UHMV motor mounts in the near future, as well as rocking some Condor artwork on the car :D

They have some good stuff for sale, inlcuding UHMV motor and tranny mounts, SF mounts, offset bushings, and other stuff for most e30 setups (as well as some cool current and former projects), so check out their threads in the FS section here or their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Condor-Speed-Shop

Will have thoughts and review on the mounts once I get them here and installed. And, of course, more pics :)
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Thanks Josh, i'm looking forward to working with you!
                      ...guys, don't forget to check out our facebook page to keep up to date with all our newest products: https://www.facebook.com/CondorSpeedShop

Comment

in unrelated news, my fabulous Enkeis finally got to do what I always meant to do with them.....trackwork. Unfortunately on someone else's car.

Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I ran out this morning and picked up a 750lb engine stand at a local auto parts store. I wanted a heavier-duty foldable stand, but Harbor Freight didn't have it when I went down last weekend and I don't really feel like waiting, since the engine is annoying sitting on a dolly taking up way too much floor space and hard to get to.

So, after lugging the crane out of the shed out back (fun....in the deep grass and uphill, all the way around the house :( ), put the engine up on the stand. It didn't fall or anything, so I guess that's good, lol

Since I'm really tired of lugging the crane all the way around the house to use it, I cut down some of my "fluids" shelves so the crane can tuck in there in the last available piece of wall space in my garage. Yeah, I know it's really exciting to you, right? Well, it is to me!

ok, so on to some work. finished pulling apart the intake manifold and injector assembly. Cleaned up the IM good. The inside had...oh...about 27 years worth of gunk in there and took a lot of scrubbing and a lot of degreaser and Dawn.

This is a good time to mention that of the 10 types of degreasers I have here at the house that can be used in the basement shop sink without killing everyone from fumes.....none of them is half as good as Dawn dishwashing soap at degreasing nasty engine stuff. Most of you probably know this already, but in case you didn't....

Two of the injectors must have been leaking and some brilliant previous owner used something or other (JB weld? who knows) to seal it. Nice.

Injectors out. One has a slightly broken cap. I'll either rebuild them or get some Mustang injectors, whatever is cheaper :)

Then the mail came! My new motor mounts from Condor Speed Shop. These are the prototype M10 mounts (for the few of us on this planet who want solid motor mounts for an M10?) so I'll be installing tomorrow. They're UHMW polyethyline....so they're solid, but should absorb more vibration than aluminum mounts. Not that NVH really matters on this car.'

Putting those aside until tomorrow or Sunday, getting back to the M42. Now that it's on a stand I can start taking more stuff off. I already knew that the guy I got the engine from had cracked the oil pan at the plug and it has some JB weld there in what appears to be a functional repair. But for peace of mind I'll source another and save this one as a spare I think.

SO first the lower oil pan. Was expecting, as all M42s seem to have, for there to be an upper pan bolt sitting in the pan. There wasn't, so that's good. Unfortunately, one was simply missing. I guess a previous owner found it and took it out. The rest of the bolts up there were extremely loose (like, I took them all out with my fingers and didn't need a socket!). Again, I kind of expected that. When they go back in they'll be torqued correctly with some threadlocker for sure.

you can see the missing bolt is at the top right up inside. Just an empty hole there.

Then took the upper pan off mostly just to make it easier to clean it all up. The crank looks fine I suppose (though I am far from an engine internals guru, so not really sure what to check while I'm in here.....suggestions welcome.)

Then I spent about an hour over the big shop sink cleaning both oil pans. These things literally had 1/2" of oily gunk buildup in certain areas, so required a lot of scrubbing, wire brush, scotchbrite, etc....They don't need to look pretty, but I like working on things that aren't coated in layers of crap....

so, that's clean enough

Also started my long list of gaskets and seals to order (basically.....all of them except the head gasket, since I'm not planning to pull the head).

Next week the plan will be to pull the timing cover and figure out what else I need there (I'm going to guess "everything.")
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Let me know how those mounts work, My M10 could use some.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

will do.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

You can get new M42 Oil pans for around $60 shipped. Check Fleabay. i got mine their.

Your gonna love the M42!
                                1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                                1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                                1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                                X