Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also stole an idea from WDCR Rallycross chair Adam Kimmett after seeing it set up in his GC Impreza....."helmet net" over the back seat deck. I just happened to have an old cargo net from an Infiniti G35 (of all things) sitting around the garage. So rigged it up. This could come in handy for a few things.

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I really like your cupholder solution. Gonna have to steal that idea from you ;)
      sigpic

Comment

thx, yeah it works pretty well. Don't know if I mentioned it but the epoxy didn't hold very well, so I reinforced it with a small L-bracket that actually holds it now.
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
          Also stole an idea from WDCR Rallycross chair Adam Kimmett after seeing it set up in his GC Impreza....."helmet net" over the back seat deck. I just happened to have an old cargo net from an Infiniti G35 (of all things) sitting around the garage. So rigged it up. This could come in handy for a few things.
          Oh I am stealing this one...
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

love the helmet net idea also! its going in the SE30!

•• Powersteering Deletes • M20 Motor & Trans Mounts • 24V swap mounts • UHMW Offset CABs ••
            •• Rear Subframe Bushings • RTABs • Facebook ••

Comment

Am I the only one not getting the purpose of the "helmet net"? Seems like it would be much harder to reach back there to get your helmet than to just leave it in your or the passenger seat.

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
              2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
                Am I the only one not getting the purpose of the "helmet net"? Seems like it would be much harder to reach back there to get your helmet than to just leave it in your or the passenger seat.
                I can see it being useful to hold helmets from paddok to grid, particularly when you have co-drivers.
                Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                  I can see it being useful to hold helmets from paddok to grid, particularly when you have co-drivers.
                  Meh, the floor/my head have done a fine job so far. Maybe the problem is that with my racing seat, it's pretty much impossible to reach into the back of the car, so grabbing a helmet from the net would require me to open the rear door, defeating the purpose. It's not like you can keep a helmet on it when you run.....

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                  2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

I dont have a passenger seat, and I dont like leaving my helmet on the passenger floor because it doesn't get a chance to air out.
                    I usually leave it on the roof of the car after i go out on track. A rear net could come in useful when you dont want to/cant leave it on the roof.

•• Powersteering Deletes • M20 Motor & Trans Mounts • 24V swap mounts • UHMW Offset CABs ••
                    •• Rear Subframe Bushings • RTABs • Facebook ••

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
                      I dont have a passenger seat, and I dont like leaving my helmet on the passenger floor because it doesn't get a chance to air out.
                      I usually leave it on the roof of the car after i go out on track. A rear net could come in useful when you dont want to/cant leave it on the roof.
                      this.

plus I'm just calling it a "helmet net" because I tossed a couple helmets into it for the pic......but it will come in useful for stashing other stuff on transit to/from the track, place to toss my sweatshirt that won't be covered in dirt, put the helmets during the drive-throughs, etc.

In reality, it may turn out to be useful, it may not. Bottom line is that it didn't cost me one single cent (ok, I did have to use two zip-ties), so why not give it a try.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

It's not like you can keep a helmet on it when you run.....
                        I'm going to let small children ride in it when I run

:o
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

today's plan for car-related projects (on several cars) was interrupted by the motor on my washing machine catching fire and smoking up the house. Awesome. Went and picked up a "spare" washer from the in-laws' house. The big trailer was loaded up with about 500lbs of stuff, so I just took the little one. Lol..

So after installing that and tearing apart the old washer (lots 'o nice sheet metal there, and saves me a trip to the dump), back to car stuff.

First order of business was to put a down-turn exhaust tip on the car, to keep it quiet. The car still sounds VERY loud inside, but I think it's because it's totaly empty and getting resonance. I had my wife drive it up the street and it didn't sound loud at all on the outside. She says it's actually quieter than the WRX, which is fairly quiet with the SPT-option exhaust on it.

Whatever, here's the tip. exciting.

A shot of the front end with skid on.

Then the mail came with my wiring resistor/converter from etrailers.com. Hookup was a snap and it works great. This one gets power from the battery (conveniently located in the trunk) and acts as a relay, so it doesn't stress the factory wiring or relays with too much load. All hooked up, and did a quick test-trip with the trailer around the neighborhood. Not loaded with the tires, but it doesn't feel like it's there with the cargo box full of stuff. I'm happy I did the box the height I did....makes it visible when backing. But with this short neck, it's still pretty lousy to back up a driveway off a curve, lol.

the kit

install - it comes with 3M tape on the back, so it just sticks right to the inside of the trunk.

stealth wiring, through a grommet behind the bumper :)

I can pull it into the trunk so the plug sits behind the bumper when not in use

and some shots of the car with the trailer :)

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

DE30s team member Jesse Reitz was giving me a hard time about having white trailer wheels that "didn't match."

So took a few minutes today to address his concerns, with the leftovers of the paint used to paint the euroweaves a while back....

Finn was not impressed....

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

You need to spray the spare too. ;)

And then find a way to make the trailer wheel setup fit on the E30 and take photos of said ridiculousness.

Then Finn would be impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
                                You need to spray the spare too. ;)

And then find a way to make the trailer wheel setup fit on the E30 and take photos of said ridiculousness.

Then Finn would be impressed.
                                trust me, the thought of fitting some bottlecaps onto the trailer has crossed my mind. But would need some serious spacers!

hah, the spare stays white, because the "top" of everything is white and it's sitting flat :)

the car roof is going to be white soon enough too, once it warms up enough. Black roof gets too hot out in the sun all day at events..
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X