Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian S52 project

Hey r3v!

I already have a build thread going on Max, but the r3v community has helped me so much with this project that Ive decided to start an overview here as well. It would also be great to have all the feedback from this forum as the knowledge here is incredible.

The Car

1984 318i. Bought a few years ago after I totaled my previous 84 318, which wasn't in the greatest shape anyways. This one is in much better condition.

So far nothing much done to it at all, just a minor system and the interior which was from my other car (which was inherited from my cousin)

The Motor

98 S52 US motor, undergoing a rebuild currently. Most recent crappy cellphone pix from the shop:

I have a few minor bolt-on mods planned that I have sitting here, waiting for the motor:

TMS Underdrive pulleys
    UUC stg2 lightweight flywheel w/ m5 clutch
    TMS chip
    OBD1 conversion parts from THR
    540 MAF (havent acquired yet)

I dont plan on too much more than that power-wise.

Suspension, etc.
    Rear end
    3.46 small case LSD which was running in a ti
    cabrio sway bar with powerflex bushings and welded TA reinforcements
    Poly raised subframe bushings
    Camber offset TA bushings
    Poly diff bushing

Rear end is complete besides brake bleeding and struts

Front end
    IE 22mm adjustable sway bar
    New CAs with THR eyeball bushings
    New e30 tie rods
    z3 steering rack (working on sourcing it)
    Will weld reinforcements on the motor mounts and sway bar mounts

I have Koni SAs on the way, which will be used with my IE3s

Brakes
    Stock rebuilt 325 calipers with x-drilled zimmerman rotors installed
    Rear disc conversion using e30 parts
    SS braided (and covered) flex lines
    All hard lines replaced in the rear, the fronts will be done before we're done
    IX booster and MC
    I know this setup will be strained with the S52, but it's what I came up with at the time, after I break in the car Ill probable upgrade

Exhaust
    Still an issue im debating over. I am planning on running aftermarket e36m parts, with the eyeball CABs I dont think I'll have an issue with fitment.

So far I have ebay shorty headers (they look cool)

And Eisenmann rear section

Thinking about SS mid section, and probably running cats due to noise. I like the AA track pipes but they are super expensive and obviously dont have cats. open to suggestions.

Progress

So the motor was pulled last weekend

This weekend hoping to clean the bay, and weld the motor mount reinforcements. I also need to put the car on the wheels to clean out the work area well, then its up in the air again for the front suspension.

Again, a very brief overview compared to the max thread, thanks for listening! Any suggestions appreciated!

Very cool. What transmission are you going to go with?

Comment

Awesome build! Call up bimmerparts to see if they can help you source a rack, they should have one kicking around.

Bimmerparts was EST-1983 specializing in BMW parts from 1968 to the present day

Comment

Originally posted by Thrizzle View Post
        Very cool. What transmission are you going to go with?
        Thanks man! I have a ZF tranny with aluminum capped mounts, uuc evo3 ssk with dssr and probably a zhp knob because they're sexy ;)

DS is from a 328

Comment

Working...
        X