No announcement yet.

Chump Car - John Allen Special USFail1 Race Team Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping because we want folks to follow us on Facebook. Going to be talking our sponsors into giving away free stuff down the road, and those contests will be held there.

... and before you ask, we're not quite ready to announce those sponsors.

Comment

Chump

Just subscribed...Cool project. You shoud have a lot of fun.

That model of 325e was somewhat unique. In 1986 all US etas were the same relative to engine, trans, and ABS (standard in 86 on all models for the first time) with only the 4 door "luxury" model and the the two door "sport" model actually carrying the "e" designation on the trunk lid. Also that year they introduced the "stripper" model (cloth seats, crank sunroof, electronic clock vs. the obc) designated with only "325" on the deck lid. The 325e 4dr (I believe it was the first year of the 4 dr if I am not mistaken) was the Yuppy car to have the way high end SUVs, crossovers, pick ups, and Minivans are today. The list price was over $30K which in 1986 was a big pile of money. They sold millions of them but I see very very few of them still around. I guess the sterotypical yuppy of the day drove them and trashed them just like they trash their Hondas and Lexus today.

Anyway, if you have not already introduced yourself to the Spec e30 crowd in the Atlanta area I suggest you do http://www.spece30.com/forum/31-southeast There are a lot of very knowledgable guys in the area who have built e30 race cars and can provide you some valuable tips. Also, if you have not watched Ranger's crash thread yet, do. http://www.spece30.com/forum/31-sout...k-6-is-no-more. While the crash is hard to watch and you can say "that will never happen to us", there are some good lessons to learn. That is, 1) One can hit very hard at chump car speeds through no fault of your own, 2) the e30 is a very stong car and great platform to race and 3) don't even think about skimping on safety gear. The soild cage in this car, proper seat, and properly applied belts and hans probably saved Scott from serious injury. Make sure you have one of the talented cage builders around Atlanta do a proper job.

Good luck

Don
      Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

subd..
        Work We Do
        CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
        http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Thanks guys! Update this evening!

Comment

Previous owner was Jon Allen from Global Imports?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Stevens View Post
              Just subscribed...Cool project. You shoud have a lot of fun.

That model of 325e was somewhat unique. In 1986 all US etas were the same relative to engine, trans, and ABS (standard in 86 on all models for the first time) with only the 4 door "luxury" model and the the two door "sport" model actually carrying the "e" designation on the trunk lid. Also that year they introduced the "stripper" model (cloth seats, crank sunroof, electronic clock vs. the obc) designated with only "325" on the deck lid. The 325e 4dr (I believe it was the first year of the 4 dr if I am not mistaken) was the Yuppy car to have the way high end SUVs, crossovers, pick ups, and Minivans are today. The list price was over $30K which in 1986 was a big pile of money. They sold millions of them but I see very very few of them still around. I guess the sterotypical yuppy of the day drove them and trashed them just like they trash their Hondas and Lexus today.

Don
              You're a little high on the original sticker price.

Years-------Model---------------Price

1984--------318i-----------------$16,460
              1984--------325e----------------$20,970

1985--------318i 2-door----------$16,430
              1985--------318i 4-door----------$16,925
              1985--------325e 2-door---------$20,970
              1985--------325e 4-door---------$21,105

1986--------325 2-door-----------$19,560
              1986--------325 4-door-----------$20,055
              1986--------325e-----------------$22,650
              1986--------325es----------------$21,950

1987--------325 2-door------------$21,475
              1987--------325 4-door-----------$22,015
              1987--------325e-----------------$25,150
              1987--------325es----------------$24,370
              1987--------325i------------------$26,990
              1987--------325is-----------------$26,990
              1987--------325iC-----------------$28,875

1988--------325 2-door------------$23,750
              1988--------325 4-door------------$24,400
              1988--------325i-------------------$28,400
              1988--------325is------------------$28,400
              1988--------325iC-----------------$32,500
              1988--------325iX-----------------$32,800
              1988--------M3-------------------$34,000

1989--------325i 2-door-----------$24,650
              1989--------325i 4-door-----------$25,450
              1989--------325is-----------------$28,950
              1989--------325iX 2-door---------$29,950
              1989--------325iX 4-door---------$30,750
              1989--------325iC----------------$33,850
              1989--------M3------------------$34,950

1990--------325i 2-door----------$24,650
              1990--------325i 4-door----------$25,450
              1990--------325is----------------$28,950
              1990--------325iX 2-door--------$29,950
              1990--------325iX 4-door--------$30,750
              1990--------325iC---------------$33,850
              1990--------M3------------------$34,950

1991--------318i-----------------$19,900
              1991--------318is----------------$21,500
              1991--------325i 2-door----------$25,600
              1991--------325i 4-door----------$26,400
              1991--------318iC----------------$28,500
              1991--------325iX 2-door---------$31,100
              1991--------325iX 4-door---------$31,900
              1991--------325iC----------------$35,900
              1991--------M3------------------$35,900

1992--------318iC----------------$28,870
              1992--------325iC----------------$36,320

1993--------325iC----------------$36,320

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                Previous owner was Jon Allen from Global Imports?
                Negative.

Comment

Back at it prepping for and building for our first race. We have some parts in process to rebuild the front end. Deposit for first event will be handled in the next two weeks. Coming along nicely and honestly based on our schedule we are ahead of schedule! A good thing to say the least.

Our local friend who goes to school in Texas was home and he wanted to do something and that was paint. Time to mold the car to look like the original design! First we sand and clean...

John Allen Special Paint Cleaning 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Paint Cleaning 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Paint Masking 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Then time to start laying down the paint... from a can of course! Like any decent ChumpCar team... I mean F1 team would do!

John Allen Special Paint Masking 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Everyone pick their panel... and note to the team. Alex is not allowed to paint anymore with spray paint. Just hold the button down and lay it on right Alex?

Check out JAS USFail1 mechanic Josh... double canning it!

John Allen Special Paint Masking 3 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Starting to look like it should!

John Allen Special Black Paint 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Time for gold accents!

John Allen Special Gold Grills 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Hang the parts on trees of course!

John Allen Special Gold Paint 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Gold Paint 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Prepping the grills!

John Allen Special Gold Grills 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

All cars need gold wheels...

John Allen Special Gold Wheels 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Gold Wheels 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Gold Wheels 3 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Gold Wheels 4 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Touching up the paint as best we can.

John Allen Special Hood Painting 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Special Black Paint 2 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Specials Black Paint 3 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Group shot! Missing two members... lazy bums! Wasting some paint!

John Allen Special Wasting Paint by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Let's check out our work!

John Allen Special Masking 4 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

John Allen Specials Gold Grills 3 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

And finished product... so far. Needs some stickers now to look proper! Looks like a ChumpCar to me... I mean a Formula1 car!

John Allen Special Paint Scheme 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

More to come soon!

Comment

Fits right in with Hotlanta! Paint turned out decent from the pics.

Comment

Looks awesome!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

To be fair, my painting wasn't THAT bad. It was up to Vlad's standards...
                        -Alex

Comment

I love the way the car is coming together.. and the support from the Atlanta BMW community has been great, and seems to be getting better.

On a side note, we've signed our first real sponsor. The Consignment Shed specializes in used tools and auto parts, primarily BMW parts.

Check them out at www.theconsignmentshed.com!

Comment

Awesome work so far guys. If you need an extra hand or tools, LMK.
                            Rich
                            Yours truly,
                            Rich
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Rigmaster
                            you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                              You're a little high on the original sticker price.

1986--------325e-----------------$22,650
                              I guess so. I was also wrong about 86 being the first 4 dr. My memory is not what it used to be. :oops:

The paint looks good guys.

Don
                              Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

We at the John Allen Special are very happy to announce our latest sponsor, our title sponsor, Technica Motorsports. Technica Motorsports specializes in BMW and Porsche service and performance work. This luxury shop provides everything from basic inspections to turbo installation and tuning for anything from a daily driver to a fully equipped racecar. Services include inspection, maintenance, OBD I and II turbo tuning, custom engine builds and performance product sales.

Jordan and Bret run a top-notch shop and support the BMW community at every chance they can, including our sponsorship. Please contact them at ( 678 ) 965-5577 or visit them at www.technicamotorsports.com for more details.

Comment

Working...
                                X