Clear All

WOW, this is going to be great!

Comment

Vuuuurrrrrrryyyy cool.
      sigpic

Comment

that is ONE IMPRESSIVE VEHICLE

Comment

I love how E30 owners go to such different extremes. This build is great! After owning a couple Subarus I have a special place in my heart for RallyX vehicles.
          -Erik
          '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
          I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

So do you have any more info on the suspension setup? I have been thinking of doing something like this for awhile now.

Comment

i like it!
              my build here ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=lemans+blue

Comment

Looking good can't wait to see it all come together.

JH
                HIK Fab

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Time for a bit of an update:

Basically started my own company, filed a patent, lots of stuff... so car always came second . But now I got some free time again so I'm gettin' as much done as I can!

Lately we've made good progress on the suspension. Take a look!

If you are wondering how the hell we bolt the trailing arms on with that square tubing in there...

Simple really. Just use some 12mm chromoly rod to go through both sides instead of bolts! :grin: They are a really tight fit, so we had to drill holes on the end of the rods so we could fit pins in them, and yank them out. We taper the ends like a pencil so they auto-locate the holes inside the subframe.

I had a bunch of leftover 3/16" plates sitting around so that's what we used for all the subframe reinforcements. Much thicker than the subframes metal! But you can see there is a lot of random tabs sticking out the front of the subframe, we still need to chop those off to make it a bit cleaner.

The trailing arms were all reinforced with DOM .120 tubing. Complete overkill! :D

I'd be willing to bet this is probably the strongest stock geometry e30 suspension on the planet. Why keep the stock geometry? I have no idea Well, other than the fact I have to use coilovers now.

Oh, and here's a lovely shot of me looking wall-eyed in a giant hole in the trunk:

Last edited by epiphy; 02-02-2013, 01:24 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

awesome

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post

So fucking wet right now out of sheer badassery. Fuck overkill, that thing looks BEEFY

I assume you're going to integrated coilovers on the dampers?
                        Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

Well fuck me that's awesome...

Sub'd.
                          sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinReed View Post
                            I assume you're going to integrated coilovers on the dampers?
                            You'll see. The coilover solution I'm going to use is... well, unique to say the least :D
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post
                              You'll see. The coilover solution I'm going to use is... well, unique to say the least :D
                              With what we have just seen I can imagine. I knew it was going to have to be unique seeing as how both of your stock mounting points are certainly not optimal (spring seat being inaccessible, and damper mount being far too weak)

Can't wait to see what you've come up with
                              Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

Did a test fit of everything today, and put the bearings and hubs in (thanks to the Harbor Freight tool!). Used a lot of antiseize. So far it is all fitting properly. Sorry this is the only pic I have for now.

Looks like I'll be able to get roughly 8-10 inches of travel with the right coilover. The differential will be lowered by about an inch using spacers between the diff and subframe, which will give me a little more downward travel from the cv's. Gotta reinforce the subframes diff mount area now :loco:

The shocks I was going to use are going to be a really tight fit between tire and body. The springs are roughly 3.75" in diameter. Gonna get wheel spacers now just to be sure.

More to come soon...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X