1970 BMW build (2002 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 BMW build (2002 content)

Hi everyone, Ive been a member here for awhile now soaking up information that this site has to offer hoping to have a 2002 one day. Me and my friend bought a project car last weekend up in Santa Rosa and drove it back down to San Jose which was fun, and also scary. It will be our first 2002 but not our first BMW I (Tony) have a 1990 325is and my friend (Oliver) has a 2001 328 that we have tastefully modded.

we have been searching craigslist to find a starter and we found one, its a 1970 with a 1974 motor, we picked it up for $1,000 and it has A LOT of rust, and ugly white spray paint everywhere. It also has square tails on it which the owner before swapped out, we are going to fix that with the roundies because Oliver and I hate the look of the square tails. The plan is to restore and make a good reliable street car that we can call our own.

Oliver is a manager at a Maaco in Sunnyvale so we have the shop and their tools to work with, Oliver has been in the paint/auto repair field all of his life, so that will come in handy for all the body work we have in front of us.

Enough talking, here are some pictures.

sigpic

Paychecks well spent buddy!
    » PARTS FOR SALE
    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Nice! I look forward to seeing this car come together.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

sweet!

waiting for deutschman......

EDIT.. Ya beat me to it man lol

Comment

You're on the FAQ as well, right? Thought I saw this a bit ago.

Good luck on the project! I assume the front grills are going to be swapped back as well?
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

we got all of the exterior parts off and looked at getting some of the interior taken out. vacuumed all of the crap that was inside, and the trunk. took off weird mounting brackets that were a pain to get off, as well as custom plates to hold speakers in random places. we also took most of the glass out as well, all to uncover more rust!

Oliver got a head start on sanding while I did my hw for the next week (sucks) he got the top half of the car sanded and said the trunk had 11 layers of paint on it, haha. I came for and helped for a couple of hours and took some of the rubber sound deadening out of the car. thats it so far.

pictures!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              You're on the FAQ as well, right? Thought I saw this a bit ago.

Good luck on the project! I assume the front grills are going to be swapped back as well?
              Yup, Im on the FAQ too, i spend a lot of time on here so i thought id post it here too.

Yes they will, this car is a Frankenstein.
              sigpic

Comment

What did you use to remove all that paint? I am no expert on 2002's by a long run, but I have done a ton of work on my '74 including a lot of body welding. If you ever have any questions pop me a pm. I love to help people out where ever I can.
                sigpic
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                  What did you use to remove all that paint? I am no expert on 2002's by a long run, but I have done a ton of work on my '74 including a lot of body welding. If you ever have any questions pop me a pm. I love to help people out where ever I can.

Thanks man, I will send you a PM when we are held up on something.

To remove the paint we used something called a heavy duty vertical sander. Its kick ass.
                  sigpic

Comment

we have been working hard to try and get the body where we want it. found some more rust and dents. i got most of the sound deadening out while Oliver was set on doing some body work. we have most of the exterior sanded down to metal. we got a rear panel today from the junk yard and it was in pretty good condition. we are going to need a new trunk, driver side door, and fender. Oh, and more rust.

Pictures!

sigpic

Comment

oliver got a jump start on fitting, cutting, fitting, cutting, and some more cutting to fit the rear panel in. I got to take apart the dash and everything that goes along with it.

more pictures!

sigpic

Comment

Lookin good! I can't wait till I can get my car painted later this year!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

we got turbo flares last week. Oliver was working hard on fitting one of the rears on. Cutting and banging the wheel well so we can weld that up for more strength. We taped it up to see what it was like for kicks. While he was doing that, i went to work on sanding the whole gas tank, there was A LOT of rust on that thing. Took awhile but got some primer on it.

Pictures!

sigpic

Comment

Cool, looking forward to future updates.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Awesome post, cant wait for the product

Comment

Working...
                              X