318kid’s Maintenance and Mod’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318kid’s Maintenance and Mod’s

So I have been slowly lurking, but it’s time for me to start a thread concerning my e30, and the others associated with it! I have been around an e30 for my entire life.

My dad purchased a 1991 BMW E30 318i brand new from the dealer. We still have the original window sticker, and aside from a different radio, a custom turned wooden shift knob, and a different exhaust not much has changed for his car.

When I turned 16 (15.5) the obvious choice was to have an e30 for me to drive. My dad and I happened upon a 1991 318is in the wonderful sterling silver metallic, although the clear coat was pealing and the exterior was in rough shape. Still it was my baby and we did quite a bit of working making it into drivable condition. I tracked down an oil leak, got new from shocks, (Billy HD’s), new Control Arms and Tree House CAB’s, New exhaust, fixed the A/C, New power steering rack, and I have a crack free dash waiting to go in. My e30 also has the rare glass sunroof, with an electric motor!

After doing all this work and research one could easily call it good, however we continued to search and found another 1991 318is that was White in color with a very nice blue cloth interior. This was quite a bit nicer than my fading silver 318is, which then brought our total up to 3.

Well as it is with most e30 enthusiasts, we are always searching and around 2008 we picked up a $300 parts car that is, who would’ve guessed it, a 1991 318is in Diamond Schwartz with another clean black interior. Another year after that we stumbled upon a craigslist ad for a low mileage 1992 325ic that was near by us so we picked it up. It has only done 65,000 miles and it is mint condition, perfect leather interior, along with a very nice and deep glossy red paint. As of right now, we haven’t added any more e30’s to the stable although I keep an eye out time to time.

This thread will be all about how to keep up with 4 e30’s in day-to-day life. 3 out of the 4 are daily driven, which means that 3 out of 4 are prone to breaking down sporadically. This thread will not just cover our upkeep with all 4, but also the upgrades I will do to my silver 318is. Currently it has Koni Lowering springs, and a new paint job. Below is an overview of what needs to be done for our e30’s to be in tip top shape. I have a few things planned for my silver car. I would like to have about 160 horsepower, as well as drop a couple hundred pounds. We will see if I can get there. Hopefully this will motivate me. My reasoning for starting a thread is that hopefully it will help me keep up with all of the things that need to be done. As it stands these cars are becoming more and more collector oriented and I want to do my best to bring these 4 cars back to tip top shape.

Silver 318is

Replace Dash
    New A/C compressor
    New Blower Motor
    Wetsand a few more panels
    New Headliner
    Replace front window
    Replace RSM’s & the front control arms are on their way out

White 318i
    Pull dents out of drivers side doors
    Clean Interior
    Remove oxidation
    New crack free window

White 318is
    Remove oxidation
    Fix A/C switch
    Engine seems gutless
    Suspension refresh

Red 325ic
    Fix Electric motor for convertible top
    Recharge A/C and fix compressor

The thing that ignited my reasoning to start this thread was my in-depth detail of my silver 1991 318is. It was resprayed by Macco (Bad idea) two years ago because it needed some clear. Over the last 2 years I have dealt with my paint being subpar with almost no reflection and the silver being sprayed thin in places. I can’t change the second problem by myself, but I do have an opportunity to improve the first. In the process of this I got really into learning all about detailing, so I bought a few pads, some nice compound, and everything to do an exterior detail very well. Early one morning I got ready to do a complete exterior detail! First I had to organize the garage!

Before

After

I happened to have already wet sanded the hood and truck the last time I visited home, but I didn’t get all of the swirls out of the clear (I didn’t have an abrasive enough pad). Also the car had accumulated many bugs and hard water spots. It ended being filthy, so first I gave it a much-needed wash, as well as cleaning all of the paint with a new chunk of clay! I wasn’t going for a full 100% recovery as it’s a daily and it gets parked outside, but in the summer It will be moved into a garage and then it will get the rest of the attention it needs.

Before

After the clay I attacked all of the sides with M105 on a foamed wool pad. After this I took a cyan pad with M205 (there was little correction) and hit the paint to give it a bit more gloss.

After working at just making the paint look clearer I hit the whole car with Meguires #7 which is the show car glaze to add more depth (which is what this paint lacked) and then I did a full IPA wipe down and added 4 coats of Klasse All in One. Cleaned the windows and then took it for some pictures! I hope you enjoy.

We had a neighbor drop by the next morning…

And as luck would have it, it would rain the day after I detailed it when I had a 3 hour drive back to college ahead of me. :/ I’m still glad I got it corrected and protected.

Comment

Shift Boot!

So I've always wanted to try and make my own shift boot, so one day my girlfriend and I picked up some material (We will be working on V2 with fake suede and the ///M Stripes later this week) to make my own. My girlfriend took some measurements of my old one and we made a template and cut out the fabric. She backed it with some interfacing to stiffen it up (has the thickness of vinyl) and she sewed it up! I think it turned out great. I really want to make one up that is alcantara but it's $100 a yard so I'm saving up and working on a nicer pattern first! Here it is though.

The blue matches perfectly with the M blue and although it seemed quite busy at first it has grown on me the past week. The picture was just a mock up and I glued to the frame later. It follows the stock lines and looks really good now!

Comment

nice work on that sterling.
        I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
        Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Cool thread, looking forward to the rest!

Comment

Working...
          X