No announcement yet.

Odee, the new 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found my lost SD card. So I have more pics!

This was my home this summer down in South Texas

Odee was kept parked slightly under the trailer in the event hail fell from the heavens as it was a common occurrence during a thunderstorm.

Now how to repack your front wheel bearings!

You'll need a plastic container and 2 cans of braker cleaner.

And some good grease. ;)

9/10 chances the rear center bit will be stuck on the spindle and your bearing will like this. This is a good thing for you! All you have to do at this point is carefully pull the seal out. A thin flat head helps as you lift from the edges.

Now pull the bearings out with some tweezers or your hands. They may fall out too if you turn it upside down.

Take a flat head and tap the front center bit out.

The bearing cage should pull out from the back at this point

These just sort of fall out too

Nasty, looks like some water got in there

Spray everything with brake cleaner in the container including the hub

Let the brake cleaner evaporate off

Reassembly!

So here's where the bearings spin around and around and around, you get the idea?

You want that filled with grease for the most part, make putting the bearings back in easier. Sort of acts as an adhesive for them.

Carefully place the balls back into their postion in the grease

Reinsert the cage while holding the front balls in. You should feel a pop from the balls going back into the cage

Reinsert the rear balls and slather them with grease on top -ohhohohohohoooo

Grease the small machined channel on the center bits

Install the rear seal and then the center bits, they'll sort of pop into place

Front looks like this after it's all done. Every ball has plenty of grease. :)

Oh and these are SKF bearing cages. They're essentially the same process for repacking except the front balls do not have a cage, but the balls themselves are bigger interestingly enough.

And lets not forget my new horn. Everyone in South Texas drives trucks and don't look for cars, just other trucks. Needless to say I was nearly ran over many many times and discovered in the process my passenger side horn was dead. This horn is the "high pitch" horn, aka the one other people hear when you honk at them.

Le old one

The nut is the only part that holds it in

Time for cracked oil pan pics!

COVERED THE UNDERSIDE OF MY CAR IN OIL

The damage

Installed a new dash as well

Mid process

New HVAC seal

Gooby gone and a razor blade took care of the old crumbling seal

Airflow out of the vents was a hell of a lot better after this

Last edited by glucklich21; 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

As I'm sure a few of you are aware, I sold this last year back in October? Well last weekend I bought Odee back. Updates coming soon!

Comment

Good to hear! What did you miss it ?
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Regret and dread set in after about a month. That being said I had fun blowing through the money from selling it. :)

Comment

Okay so I bought it back.

Literally everything, but the oil (I hope) and its new skid plate were the same. Also came back with a coolant leak and burnt up auxiliary fan wiring. As a result I almost stranded myself and overheated the M42.

I then promptly bent said skid plate because Corpus Christi roads are terrible. Took chunks out of the concrete so whatever.

Brought it to it's first AutoX since I had owned it. Mother nature decided to send a Tropical Storm our general direction, so it poured over that Saturday and Sunday. I became more acutely aware of the need for a LSD.

Note all of the water at the corner station:

Installed the wiring for my map light the factory way. PITA BTW.

I removed the BBK and spacers and returned to the stock setup. Lost the pics somewhere, but new Stoptec pads upfront with new rotors.

Drove it up to Austin for the weekend. My friend Kevin is an assistant sales manager at one of the Honda dealerships up there. As a result one of the perks is getting to use a lift on the weekends!

Here he is trapped as we searched for drivetrain vibrations:

Turns out it was the tires vibrating me to death. How I didn't have any bubbles I don't know. That's how badly they were distorted.

Also had a single rear tire showing cords as a result of AutoX. (Really need a LSD!) I decided to go to a larger tire since the roads are so bad. Old size was 205/50/15, new is 215/60/15. While the ride is amazingly comfy, the handling is now crap. Trade offs I guess. Also had to raise the car a good 2in. I felt invincible driving down here!

Getting it aligned the same day in Austin

After the CPS started taking a crap I decided it was a good enough excuse to start the 24v swap that came with the car when I bought it back.

Started taking things apart:

The M50:

It came from Bavarian Auto Recycling so he paid too much. It does however only have 119k. Also the car it came from living in Iowa and Michigan so it has this thing called "rust" that we aren't familiar with down here. So I'll be stripping it down in the next couple of weeks. That's it for the time being!

Last edited by glucklich21; 02-08-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Nicely detailed write-ups, subscribing.

Comment

Bump from the dead. I'll update this thread with pics from the swap process soon.

I finally finished the swap and drove the car home for the first time earlier this week. It will hopefully get to the exhaust shop later this week.

Comment

1,000 miles of only minor issues! :)

Comment

Working...
                  X