Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all E30 Gurus!

Hello all,

Ran into some trouble with my E30 and am completely stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.

First some background info. I bought my first E30 325iC and changed the timing belt 2 months ago as a precaution. All was well until just last week when I started to hear a thumping on my way home then a grinding. Took it all apart to find the camshaft gear had worked and the dowel pin was no long snug. I changed both parts and now there is no grinding or whining but the entire engine still bounces significantly when the car idles. If necessary I can post a video of the engine running. I adjusted the valves during the timing belt change and they were fine, so I don't think that's the problem. Wondering if its something as simple as new spark plugs, but I'd love a second opinion before I open it all up again.

Tempted to take the car into a professional and get there opinion, anyone come to mind? I live just north of Markham. Is the dealership viable or should I find a private shop/individual?

Thanks for your time!

Geoff

Seafoam it and check your mounts.

Comment

Got some help, 5th cylinder wasn't firing, electrical problem. Valves may have gotten loose inside as well. We'll see.

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks. Hoses, gaskets, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Farintosh View Post
          Got some help, 5th cylinder wasn't firing, electrical problem. Valves may have gotten loose inside as well. We'll see.
          I don't see how a cylinder not firing causes clunking? Are your valves twisted?

Comment

Maybe you slipped a tooth or two on the belt
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Check the injector harness wiring, I've seen a few that had corrosion in the plugs or were slightly melted.

Comment

Alright lots to check, I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get a chance. First I'll find where I'm losing the electrical current then I plan to check the valve train to see if everything is in good running order. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll certainly try all of them if need be.
                Last edited by Farintosh; 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhs32...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                  X