Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily-able Racecar Build. Finally getting paint and other goodies! B)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Did you just mask off the inside of the rear window?
    I didn't mask it. I have new glass I am putting in when I paint the outside of the car. Front is cracked and rear is scratched to hell. Looks like someone tried to clean it off with a metal snowshovel or something.
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Bi-Monthly update as the usual:

Was driving the car for the rest of the semester and continued to just generally hoon it and do what these cars are meant to do... drive the heck out of them.

So I decided that I missed a clean car so I thought it would be time for some paint. So I started some prep recently. The color I will be laying is somewhat of a secret since I havent seen it on an E30 as of yet. Right now it just looks extremely dirty since the PO put down paint but no clear coat.

Since my old valance was kind of wrecked, I took an extra one I had off a front clip I had. I also picked up a hood from a friend since my original hood had a couple trouble spots and the body work would have been too much work imo.

Also threw on some straight fenders I had. However, they didnt seem to fit as well as the stock fenders, so I decided to stick with the stock fenders and just do some work to them.

Picture of how horrible the paint looked as it seemed to stain really easily without a clear.

Also decided I would shave the antenna hole while I am at painting the car. I'm going to be using this little punchout from an electrical control box I had. Fits perfectly.

There are a couple rust spots that concerned me so I pulled out the grinder and went to cutting out the battery tray. My good friend Pat who had a fabrication shop is going to be coming down from PA in a few weeks to do the welding for me of the new metal.

sigpic

Build Thread:
      Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

So now comes the fun parts. I picked up a mtech 2 replica front valance from DTM. I wasnt too let down about it as it is not perfect but doesnt seem horrible. I am sure once it is painted and on the car fitted, it wont look half bad. Though I would recommend to anyone else that OEM is probably 100% the best (and only) way to go.

Slight bend. Which I suspect is from how they package it with the wrap they put around the center.

Also picked up another set of wheels awhile ago. I missed my enkei 92s and wanted something another set of mesh wheels to run. They are 16x9.5 et38. I started to do some polishing on them.

I am actually very disappointed though because I didnt do my homework and I dont think these will clear the m3 brakes as the inside diameter of the barrel appears to be too small after doing a couple measurements.
        sigpic

Build Thread:
        Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

Measure twice, buy wheels once.
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
            Measure twice, buy wheels once.
            Yeah. Should have done some research. I would be able to get them to clear the struts and front of the calipers easily with a spacer, the issues is the overall diameter of the brakes with the caliper. I am very bummed. Supposedly there is limited 16" wheels selection with e36 m3 brakes.
            sigpic

Build Thread:
            Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

More Updates since I'm going to be doing a lot of work on the car lately.

Started to clean the trunk up because im going to be rattlecanning it.

When cleaning it up I noticed(well I did before but this is the first I've looked into it) that there were some rust spots underneath some of the seam sealer. I wire wheeled it and noticed some funky welds. Does anyone know if this is normal? There wasnt seam sealer in some places including the outside, which makes me feel like something was replaced at some point in the e30's life.

Inside the wheel well.

Also discovered another rust sport that is on the driver's side in the trunk spacer where the widow maker goes. Not too big of a deal since I'm already doing other rust repair.
              sigpic

Build Thread:
              Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

Going to start making a detailed list tomorrow of all the stuff I have left to do before I get her back on the road and painted. But as of now the general things are:

-rust repair and body work. fit mtech valance
                -fit fender flares and cut out fenders and reweld them
                -pull motor and install new stock m5 clutch and new trans
                -order new driver's side seat since I sold my Corbeau Forza I had (it was too big for me)
                -install seats
                -order new steering wheel(still undecided)
                -Install AKG stage 2 shifter along with DSSR I just got in
                -Get car to the shop to do more in depth body work and then lay down the paint
                -get new hubs and front wheel bearings installed along with cutting the struts and repainting the housings
                -undercoat the entire car
                -redo exhaust hangers(currently half held up with 3ft long zipties) also possible v-band
                -finally drive the car

then.... build new motor.
                sigpic

Build Thread:
                Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

it looks like someone seam welded the car. not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you adequately rust-proof it! does the alignment still check out? that could be a very old strut tower repair, but more than likely it was a fuh-raze PO that wanted to stiffen up the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                    it looks like someone seam welded the car. not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you adequately rust-proof it! does the alignment still check out? that could be a very old strut tower repair, but more than likely it was a fuh-raze PO that wanted to stiffen up the chassis.
                    It was only done to the drivers side though. Passenger side looks factory.
                    sigpic

Build Thread:
                    Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

happen to buy those wheels from reggies motorworks?

Comment

Originally posted by asuj158 View Post
                        happen to buy those wheels from reggies motorworks?
                        Yes I did. You were the one I bought them through.
                        sigpic

Build Thread:
                        Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

thought so haha, its been a while

Comment

Painted the trunk earlier today. Tomorrow planning on undercoating.

sigpic

Build Thread:
                            Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

your ability to get stuff done during the school year is awesome.

are you just doing the car alpine?
                              www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                              2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Over the end of the summer I pulled the engine again because the clutch was slipping and transmission was really difficult to shift as my synchros were going out. Check that damage out!

Bought a new transmission and gave it good wash and some redline fluid.

After the engine was back in I daily drove the car again looking ratchet throughout the fall semester, but this was needed as my dads transmission went out and he needed to borrow my daily.

Also installed my dual shear selecting rod and AKG stage 3 short shifter. Then went on a late night road trip for a supercharger kit for an e36 that I will be retrofitting to my E30.
                                sigpic

Build Thread:
                                Rallycross Build Thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X