Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

phenryiv1's Rally Cross 87 325- Caged, B25 Swapped, Rear suspension refresh Last Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a few updates...

I snagged a 3.73 LSD to replace the 2.93 open that came in the car, which we discovered is not very good for rallyX.

We also (at the first event) discovered a noise from the external fuel pump, so we need to figure out what to do anbout that. I also found that the eta just does not seem to like revving. Maybe the 3.73 will feel a bit better, but if not I think that an M20B25 swap may be in order.

So a few pics from the final prep (my kids picked the color scheme to match WVU colors):

And a couple shots from the test & tune:

Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

One more:

Patrick Henry

Comment

So more info/updates...

The 3.73 LSD arrived, looking pretty clean. Came with a spare cover and 1 complete axle (P.O. could not figure out how to unbolt it with the input shaft not locked in a fixed position. I bolted it to an 8' 2x4 and removed the allen bolts).

I may hold off on the install and use that clean diff cover with a fresh Condor Speed Shop diff bushing, but the funds are tight.

Our BMW E30 differential bushings are BMW performance parts designed for the street and track and made with UHMW material. Shop Condor Speed Shop's BMW parts!

Also removed the pinstripe form the side as I get ready to prep it for paint. Can I really do that...get ready to prep? Sounds a bit redundant.

The fornt fenders will be replaced, so I did not bother de-striping those.

Lastly, started sanding the peeling clearcoat off of the hood. On most of the car, there were no jagged edges at the clearcoat, but on the hood it was bad. I took a razor blade to it and the results were comical. THICK clearcoat and some filler/primer. This looks like a job for a D/A sander.

Last item- sent payment on a Walbro 255 fuel pump already installed in an e30 sending unit. It had about 40 minutes of run time on an S50 swap. Comes with the screen/sock and wiring. My external pump has been squaking at me and I might as well go with a single pump conversion.
        Patrick Henry

Comment

so have you made the decision on the full color scheme yet?

I think the other ETA guys are going to ditch the yellow wheels and go a totally different cosmetic direction with theirs.

I am consulting with them on it ;)
          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
            so have you made the decision on the full color scheme yet?

I think the other ETA guys are going to ditch the yellow wheels and go a totally different cosmetic direction with theirs.

I am consulting with them on it ;)
            Yellow roof, trunk, spoiler, and hood. Dark blue everywhere else.
            Last edited by phenryiv1; 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM.
            Patrick Henry

Comment

Sounds like you figured out that pump noise. Mine made noise for years then the car started sputtering with low fuel at track and auto-x. I put one of those fuel accumulators in which helped a bit but then one day the car just quit on me. Found out the in tank pump was out and probably had been for years. Two pumps can be nice but that walbro is all you will need.
              Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                Sounds like you figured out that pump noise. Mine made noise for years then the car started sputtering with low fuel at track and auto-x. I put one of those fuel accumulators in which helped a bit but then one day the car just quit on me. Found out the in tank pump was out and probably had been for years. Two pumps can be nice but that walbro is all you will need.
                Jon-

Want to come to WV and help me swap in an "i" motor into this '87?
                Patrick Henry

Comment

I might be up for that. Maybe I can bring help too. Do you need an engine hoist?
                  Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                    I might be up for that. Maybe I can bring help too. Do you need an engine hoist?
                    I thought about buying one, just to have it. But if that falls through, I would say that it would be a huge help.

Are you still at the same #? I still have a cell number from '10 for you.
                    Patrick Henry

Comment

Told you, feel free to have Jason come pick up mine. I won't need it for at least a couple months.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Yea I am still at that same number.
                        Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                          Told you, feel free to have Jason come pick up mine. I won't need it for at least a couple months.
                          Getting him to bring it up on a whim might not be easy. I need to get the motor off of the truck this week, so I'll probably slide it off on my mower ramps covered with plywood and land it on some tires. Of course, moving it after that may not be so easy...
                          Patrick Henry

Comment

Working on the paint. Got the trunk done and installed the spoiler.

Patrick Henry

Comment

I was just thinking - you should do the yellow right along the "waistline" seam all the way down the car.....the body panel crease in the pic that runs above the gas filler. Might be easier than trying to make a "line" on the pillars where one doesn't naturally exist...
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So not much progress...

Ordered a ton of small parts to rebuild the shifter assembley, a new timing belt kit (in the event that I do a b25 swap, as planned), fuel filter, and new front strut bearings (the old ones looked bad).

I received the fuel pump but have not yet installed it, and I installed the differential (well, hung it on the subframe but have not attached the driveshaft).

I need to get my @$$ in gear, as the next race is next weekend.
                                Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                                X