Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project: Lets confuse the hell out of everybody.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Lets confuse the hell out of everybody.

I have a lot to figure out yet but I thought I would give you a peek at what I will spend my free time working on.

Everything fits well in the pessimistically sized envelope I started with which means it is worth my time to take more measurements and create a more detailed engine bay. ( notched out area is clearance for brake booster and steering linkage)

This is certainly a long-term project as there are a LOT of things left to design and figure out as well as having job, family, and other business to tend to, but I can justify the cost and labor involved in this type of swap much more easily than an S50/S52 swap.

So, sometime in the future I hope to be piloting a stock looking E30 on bottlecaps that sounds like an F1 car; something that will be sure to confuse the hell out of everybody on the road.

Hopeful recipient:
    Mr. Snuffleupagus
    27.78%
    Rob
    19.44%
    M50 with a 4 barrel carb
    19.44%
    stupid idea
    13.89%
    awesome idea
    19.44%

Dafuq is going on here?
    ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Originally posted by blunttech
    I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
    Build Thread?

Comment

Do it. And name car Mr. Snuffleupagus
      What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
      90 325ix

Comment

Very interesting. The biggest problem, or I guess one of many, is how you will deal with vibration issues. It's going to take a hell of a balancing system in order for it to work. Huge props for trying something different.

Comment

Dude. I wanna see this happen. Let me know if you need any help.
          1991 318i SOLD
          2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Ho snap...
            sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
              Very interesting. The biggest problem, or I guess one of many, is how you will deal with vibration issues. It's going to take a hell of a balancing system in order for it to work. Huge props for trying something different.

The idea at the moment is to connect the engines with a dual roller chain drive and sprocket at the existing sprocket output location on the engines. The engines would be solidly mounted to an aluminum framework which would be mounted to the original E30 subframe with rubber isolators.

Horizontal dampers connecting to the cylinder heads would likely be helpful in reducing vibrations due to both engines generating torque in opposite directions. FEA analysis would play a role in determining whether the framework needs to be constructed of steel to avoid fatigue.

Comment

I think I see what's going on in here, and if I do I am impressed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                  Dude. I wanna see this happen. Let me know if you need any help.
                  The gesture is appreciated. If you have any 3D modeling skills, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering experience then you could certainly be of help.

I am a mechanical engineer but will likely consult with some electrical guys on the charging system (if/when the project becomes a reality)

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
                    I think I see what's going on in here, and if I do I am impressed.
                    Yes, less weight than an M20, 2x the power output, and likely an absolute symphony of induction sound when coupled with a carbon fiber plenum.

In a perfect world I would be using S1000rr engine to keep it BMW (and also because those are amazing engines) but the pricing and availability is much more favorable for the Yamaha and Suzuki engines. Example: a few months ago when the idea popped in my head I browsed Craigslist for used bike engines. a 12000 mile R1 engine with harness, and ECU was $1000, and a 16000 mile engine with no ECU/harness was $800.

Assuming this project is completed with a pair of R1 engines, I would eventually want to step up to a pair of S1000rr engines.
                    Last edited by Sagaris; 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I want to see this happen...badly!
                      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                        The gesture is appreciated. If you have any 3D modeling skills, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering experience then you could certainly be of help.

I am a mechanical engineer but will likely consult with some electrical guys on the charging system (if/when the project becomes a reality)
                        Yeah, I'm an engineer too, I do a lot of 3D modeling and design-for-manufacturing stuff (design engineer for a manufacturing firm). I do a lot of stuff with laser cutting (flat and tube) so if you want to get real serious, let me know.

I'd definitely say you'll want a steel subframe, an aluminum subframe will almost certainly crack.
                        1991 318i SOLD
                        2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Kinda curious as to how you'll implement the cooling system.

What about just putting in a modded zx-14r engine in there for the sake of sound? :p
                          Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                          Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

R1 engine is a rocket! Isn't 16k miles kinda high for something like this tho?
                            I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                            Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

What are you planning transmission wise?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X