Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TR-42 build. Non e30 content. Subaru powered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
    The bolt pattern that came with the car has very poor aftermarket wheel selection.
    CCW, kodiak and others can make a wheel in any bolt pattern and smaller sizes. I wonder what the price difference between the EC-7's. those uber expensive R888's, and adapters cost compared to a smaller wheel/tire package.

Plus, the skinny wheels on the Atom just look kinda
    Maybe a stanced E36 would be a better build?

In all honesty, there is a reason you don't see lotus's (loti?) at the track with big fat wheels. A big heavy E36 works well with 285/30/18's, but drop 1500lbs and it doesn't need that much tire to go fast. I'd suspect that 255's would perform just as well as those 315's!

If lap times weren't any different, the smaller wheels/tires will feel lighter/nimbler (whole reason for building this thing over a normal car right?) .
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
      Maybe later on down the road you can get a company like Rotiform to make you a set of custom forged racing wheels. They can make any bolt pattern, offset, and size. Its pricy but they are beautiful and will fit the car perfectly.
      Rotiform designs and builds the finest cast and custom forged wheels for your automobile. Focused on style, strength, and aggressive fitment, Rotiform Wheels are the ultimate.

Fifteen52 also makes wheels to custom sizes and their wheels look a bit more business like and less show car like.
      http://fifteen52.us/shop-2/#!/~/cate...=0&sort=normal
      We looked into CCW's before we decided on the Apex's. Fifteen52 has some nice selection as well...thanks.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      CCW, kodiak and others can make a wheel in any bolt pattern and smaller sizes. I wonder what the price difference between the EC-7's. those uber expensive R888's, and adapters cost compared to a smaller wheel/tire package.

Maybe a stanced E36 would be a better build?

In all honesty, there is a reason you don't see lotus's (loti?) at the track with big fat wheels. A big heavy E36 works well with 285/30/18's, but drop 1500lbs and it doesn't need that much tire to go fast. I'd suspect that 255's would perform just as well as those 315's!

If lap times weren't any different, the smaller wheels/tires will feel lighter/nimbler (whole reason for building this thing over a normal car right?) .
      Good suggestions. However, this car is just built for fun. Nothing about it is practical. We aren't building it to set track records. My dad is going after a certain look--beefy tires/wheels. I'm all for it! I think it looks great :p

Maybe down the road if we do get serious into tracking it we will look at alternate wheel/tire selections that will better suit the nimbleness/lightness of this kart.

Comment

this car is just built for fun. Nothing about it is practical.
        Makes perfect sense. Carry on with the awesome!:crazy:
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Got some updates over the past few weekends. We have been out of town so not much has gotten done but here's some pics for you guys

Got an alternator and cleaned it up a bit. Powdercoated the brackets that came off of our spare EJ20 engine wrinkle red. Turned out very nice

I built a locking glove box. It turned out pretty nice. We will be leather/foam wrapping it so it will have some cushion to it.. First time welding 3/16" aluminum. Still learning!

The hinge in the rear is a piano style hinge

It isn't aligned yet. We need some brackets that hold it in place but this is where the lock is placed. The screws will be ground down flush.

Mounted the e-brake. Came out a Miata.

We also made began the aluminum cover for the shift linkage/etc. Making a shift boot will be next.

Built a bracket and sewed up a velcro strap for the race battery. We'll see how it holds up. Also mounted the fuse box. (fist picture taken in passenger seat to give you an idea of where it is)

Also got some license plate bolts......

Built in plate lights!

We also got the headlights mounted and the front mirrors/turn signals mounted. I forgot to snap some pics but I'll try and get some this week!
          Last edited by jaywood; 08-04-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

That license plate bolt is pretty trick!
            -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
              That license plate bolt is pretty trick!
              Thanks! :p

Comment

How do you ensure the bolts are both tight and aligned properly to illuminate the plate?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

If this amazing build continues..
                  Originally posted by Van Westervelt
                  Progress is being made, but it's the equivalent of pulling a full mouth of teeth while inebriated, half blind, arthritic, and using needle nose pliers from harbor freight that are 10 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                    How do you ensure the bolts are both tight and aligned properly to illuminate the plate?
                    It doesn't thread into the frame. There is a plastic nut that keeps everything tight

Comment

Subscribed. This is awesome.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Finished the parking brake today. Made some of these clamps for the cable.

Cable at the e-brake handle

Here's how the cable attaches to the caliper

Pic of linkage

Cluster is mounted.

Driver seat view

And here's a box of.....????

Engine harness.....

Comment

Wow. Sub'd.
                          View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Mounted the STI pedal. The engine/throttle body is DBW so we had to get the DBW pedal.

Headlight brackets

Here's how the headlights look...hood on, hood off

And also started tearing into the harness

BTW, this is our most used tool. It is amazing.

Comment

I have the same impact and love it. Everybody needs one of those.

Great work as always. Can't wait to see videos of this thing in action.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                                I have the same impact and love it. Everybody needs one of those.

Great work as always. Can't wait to see videos of this thing in action.
                                Seriously, it is a GREAT investment

Thanks man. I'll get some vids up as soon as it starts!

Comment

Working...
                                X