24v E30 Cabrio project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v E30 Cabrio project

So today I woke up and watched a little TV but felt like I needed to do something. I dont know if I was still tired, or in fact it was out of sheer boredom I wanted to tackle this today. I wanted to do my research before I tackled this project. Well actually, ive been really lazy about it.

But the story on the car is that 6 years ago I posted my very first bmw and E30 on a local automobile for sale site. I had a call and a guy came to look at it, he brought down one of his friends (worked at Tree House Racing down in Nashville) and he said he would think about it. Well a few days later he texted me and wanted to know if id trade for his cabrio (this car), so I drove down to TN and figured id take a look. I wanted the car, but needless to say he decided he wanted to keep it and 24v swap it. Out of all this I made a new friend and we have been good friends since. Long story short, he got rear ended twice over the course of the next few years and after the 2nd one he wanted to sell it, but at the time I didnt have the extra cash. So my brother bought it, and after he had it for around half a year he decided to sell it to me. After about 7 months of the car I honestly wanted to sell it, so I stuck it up for sale both locally and on the forums, but after reminding myself on how long I waited for the car I may keep it and let the wife drive it when I take my other E30 to car meets.

Let me start off by saying that I am in no way an auto body person. Ive messed with a few things, but nothing to this extent. So if ive done something wrong then inform me for the next time. I know this probably isnt the best way to do replace a body panel, but Im cheap and didnt feel it was necessary to let a body shop repair something I could learn something from. After all, theres nothing I could do to make it worse.

Back when my friend owned it, if you couldnt notice from the shiney paint. (I had to steal this before picture for reference on what it looked like when I wanted it.)

5/6 years later, it was in my possession. This is the day my brother hauled it 620 miles across 4 different states and finally arrived.

So I pulled it in next to the Euro E30 to give it some company.

Out of boredom I test fitted the Type A's.

Two swapped E30's in one garage :)

Its rare this thing gets washed, so when I finally did it I went out and took a "decent" photo of it.

This was the night that the tornado came through wichita. Right after this picture I had to move it to the garage.

One of the reasons my buddy sold it. Someone rear ended him and after having the car for quite awhile, he just wanted to get into something newer. The damage looks pretty bad, but luckily it didnt mess up anything structural, well, minus the 1/4 panel lol.

I then installed an Mtech1 steering wheel and shifter knob.

Sport seats front and rear. One of these days ill get around to recovering them.

So today I was tired, bored, and thought to myself that it was way to nice outside on this Novemember day to not do anything. So after putting this off for nearly 8 months I pulled it in the garage and made my first cuts.

After I made my first cut I thought to myself. "Did I seriously just do this?" Need I remind you I have almost ZERO auto body skills unless its something simple. But cutting a 1/4 panel out of a car is by no means something simple.

It probably didnt help I was watching nothing but car shows this morning on TV. But I do know to always cut a little at a time. Which is why you see me making another cut.

Long story short, my friend totaled his E30 325ix, so I yanked the 1/4 off of it. It took some time, but we did it. Here you can see my sharpie marks on where to cut. (this 1/4 panel should look familiar for you regulars!!!!)

Old 1/4 panel out!!

Cleaned up the edges with a flap disc.

Mocked up!!

Another view

Body lines are almost spot on..Not a fun one person project. But a little bit of music and mountain dew kept me motivated.

Ignore my crappy welds, thanks to my dog I stepped on my welding mask and broke it. So had to spot weld the first few with my eyes closed.

Loosely fitted my taillight, whenever it was rear ended it messed up the mounting holes on the inboard side, so ill redo those as well.

Now that the front is spot welded I can massage the back of the panel to fit and get the gaps I need.

Also, the rear bottom of the quarter panel is gonna get cut out and replaced. As well as the rear "burger panel" as Ive always heard them referred to.

So what am I going to do after I get all of this done? Well this will probably be the car I learn how to paint on, two stage paint. So hopefully itll get painted. After that Im probably gonna go cheap on wheels unless I find something for a good deal locally. ESM's 002 are my preferred choice, 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rear. Finally after the wheels I plan to get the seats recovered, yes ill be doing this as well, Ill order the reupholstery kit off ebay and take the seats back to black. All said and done it'll be a cheap project to work on and will help me learn a few things.

sweet! good on you for taking on the challenge, i look forward to the progress

Comment

Thanks! This was my daily driver until got the e39. I still have a lot of things to do to my other cars as well, so for this car I'm basically just wanting to get the body straight again and paint it. For now I'm looking for some stock bottle caps to throw on it.

Comment

This is really inspirational for me. Amazing work!

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
        My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

Originally posted by K1CKBAC View Post
          This is really inspirational for me. Amazing work!
          Thanks, I needed to work on it. I got tired of driving around with it looking like crap. It was for sale for $2200 an I had no takers, so I decided to just fix it and keep it. I haven't decided on what color I want to paint it yet.

Comment

Sweet! I am not brave enough to tackle something like a fixed panel swap haha Good luck! Sticking around for updates
            Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
            Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
            Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
            Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Thanks nick!

Comment

Nice work, Miss Moldyhal? or was it Lakenheath? McConnell now? Ran into a crew from McConnell out here in Hawaii yesterday.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                  Nice work, Miss Moldyhal? or was it Lakenheath? McConnell now? Ran into a crew from McConnell out here in Hawaii yesterday.
                  I was at Lakenheath and now at McConnell, I recently got back from Qatar though. Where you TDY at Hickam?

Comment

Small update:
                    Got everything welded and started the body filler process. I'm happy with the results, granted it doesn't look show quality, it's still not bad for a first timer and using basic tools. *I decided to go with the plum insane color pictured in my previous post, and I also decided to just put the Borbets on it for now to save me a little bit of money to invest in interior. Here's a few pictures I've snapped so far.*

Always have to write things in the dust.

Got some body filler on, still not finished but looks way better.*

Side view.*

Started cutting out the lower portion of the 1/4. (The corner was cut out before the new one was fitted, just no pictures)

My dog bimmer, recently neutered so he was feeling a little down lol.*

My other dog Mercedes.*

Since it's just me out in the garage I have to find productive ways to help me out. *But lower portion test fitted.*

My little $80 welder doing it's job. I welded most of the lower 1/4 from inside.*

From the inside. *

Lower portion tacked on.*

Comment

Originally posted by jeswaw View Post
                      I was at Lakenheath and now at McConnell, I recently got back from Qatar though. Where you TDY at Hickam?
                      Passing through. Don't miss Qatar anymore, the days of their bullshit customs is crazy.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                        Passing through. Don't miss Qatar anymore, the days of their bullshit customs is crazy.
                        Luckily I only had to deal with them twice.

Comment

UPDATES!!! (Forgot to update the thread as I went, so here are some updates
                          copied and pasted)

I had my Type-A's that have been sitting since 2010 collecting dust. So I
                          finally got some tires mounted on them. :)

Decided to test fit the rears on it.

Finally got it down on the ground today. I'm pleased with the stance, its not extremely low and is much like my old Lapisblau one. .

Decided to take it to work one night. For the most part it was a pretty successful shake down run, I just need to address a few small issues.

A friend let me borrow his torpedo heater so I've been trying to get some of
                          the body work finished. It's almost done, hopefully before I go back to work
                          the 1/4 panel will be 100% done. I'm ready for some warm weather so I can
                          get it painted.

Old picture I found that shows the damage a little better.

For the time being I just rattle canned it in black primer until it gets
                          painted.

Decided to get it out and have a little fun in the snow.

Where the car is at the moment:
                          Side shot to show the 1/4 a little better. It still needs a good weekend
                          worth of work, but It's getting there.

Things left to finish/buy:
                          Get all the trunk holes welded up from taking out the 3rd brake light
                          Buy/Install new rear bumper
                          Get a new front valance/foglights/lip
                          Finish the body work
                          Buy a new hood
                          Tint windows
                          Install a BMW Factory tape deck
                          Buy aft section the the center console (ebrake surround)
                          Get a glovebox
                          Last edited by jeswaw; 01-03-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Great work on that quarter panel!

Can't wait to see where this goes!
                            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                              Great work on that quarter panel!

Can't wait to see where this goes!
                              Thanks, it's be a fairly slow process thus far but it'll get done eventually. I'm also in the process of fitting an mtec1 kit on my other car. Hopefully this spring it'll be painted.

Comment

Working...
                              X