KEVORM's college budget PRO3 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KEVORM's college budget PRO3 Build

So I figured it was about time I put together a build thread for my car.

Story:
    After working my ass off in school and at work I decided I would buy myself a project car. My rational was that the car would cost about the same as a quarter at school and I felt the learning experience would be justifiably significant to warrant the cost. So the search began. Coming from the VW scene I really knew nothing about E30’s. I had a few friends with them, but other than that really nothing. I built and paid for the whole car by myself with the exception of some gracious friends helping along the way. I built the majority of the car during my senior year of college. I took extra shifts at work to pay for it and drove out to work on it just about every weekend (which my girlfriend hated :)).

In the beginning I really had no clue what I wanted the car to be. I already had a daily, so some sort of weekend canyon carver was my initial intention.

This was followed by the usual progression of engine swap ideas….LS1 (too expensive)…..S54(too expensive)…..S50(too boring)……Turbo(Turning problems)…..uhhhhh now what.

Then one of my best buddies Bill decided he was gonna build a PRO3 car for the spec series we have up in the PNW. Well shit….I gotta have one too! Because Racecar

And so begins my journey, there has been much head scratching, money spending and deadline missing, but in the end its been super fun and a great learning experience.

Here we GOOOOOO! I’ll try and add tid bits that I learned along the way.

Because I knew nothing about E30’s I decided on an Alpine white 1984 325e that belonged to a friend of a friend. $900 and that bitch was mine!!! Loaded her up on the trailer and off to the garage! (Summer 2011)

Once at the house I started stripping the car. Still had no clue what I wanted it to be at this point but the carpet was really moist and I was worried about mold and such so I tore it out.

Other than a little bit of rust here and there she really wasn’t too bad. All of it was surface and was treated and sealed.

Sound deadening is for pussies, so that had to go! (Note: Use dry ice not a heat gun, the heat gun smells terrible and takes forever)
    Before

During

After

I used paint/adhesive stripper to get the adhesive up. Use gloves when you do this, that stuff leaves some nasty chemical burns.

Who knew the handbrake was such a handy paper towel holder?

It was at this point that I decided to go full racecar. As a result the interior got the full strip. I decided on PRO3 as it is extremely popular in the northwest and is well known for its comradery and competitive racing.

Not a good start to the weekend, mysterious broken rear window!

Started the weekend by taking the dash out. A cool head and a friend help but it really isn’t that hard once you get the hang of it.

Everyone’s favorite…..wiring!

I started to take parts out of the main harness. Wiring diagrams and a lot of patients are your friend here. (Fall 2011)

At this point I had the car pretty well stripped and knew that I wanted to create a full blown PRO3 car. My thinking was that rather than create some mismatched track car I would focus on one class that way it would be worth something when I went to sell it.

PRO3 requires the M20B25 and my car was an E so the B27 had to go!

Picked up the engine from a guy on R3v and hauled it down to the garage. Upon further inspection everything looked pretty decent. Oil pan was cracked but I knew I could scavenge parts off the B27.

The mountains were blue! Beer Break!

Took the pistons out and started cleaning up the block for paint.

Decided on Chevy Red-Orange. Orange is my Sisters favorite color and makes it easy to see oil on the block. The paint was still wet, it’s not nearly this neon in person.

Cleaned the pistons up too!

More later…..i gotta get back to studying!
    Last edited by KEVORM; 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM.
    84' 325i -> PRO3 #304
    Powered by Manntechnik
    Work in Progress Build Thread

Now it was time to take the old motor out. Got a couple of buddies to help and we cued the music. (Winter 2011)

With the old drive train out it was time to go to the cage builder. The car sits super high without anything in it. Always thought it’d be a good rally car. (Winter 2011)

I had the roll cage done by a family friend named Dave Clark, he’s one of the best in the business and did a fantastic job on my cage. If anyone is looking to get work done his shop is in Kent, WA and I can give you his contact info.

Most of Dave’s clients now days are rally folks. I figured if there is anyone you want building your cage it’s a rally guy, they like to crash.

Now for the new parts to start arriving!! (January 2012)

Got a late model front valance and put that on the car too. Excuse messy garage…..

Starting to look mean!

Unfortunately everything doesn’t always go smoothly, wanted to take off the harmonic balancer and found that all the bolts were sheered. The donor car the engine was in had been in a front end collision…..left hand drill bits FTW!

It’s about February now (2012) and with the race season fast approaching I wanted to kick it into high gear! Sent the head down to Highland East Machine shop in Renton and they did a fantastic job. All new guides, seals and gaskets, as well as a few new valves. All cleaned up and ready to rock. I elected to put it back together myself to save some money and for the experience of doing it!

Now it was suspension time! All the old stuff had to go, every bushing and bearing was toast. First up was the struts. That OEM stuff wasn’t gonna cut it for racing. Had the OEM struts in the fronts still, completely blown. (Spring 2012)

Sent those off to get all racecar-ed up!
    And this is what I got back!

Opted for single adjustable race valved KONI’s 550 up front and 850 out back (would have gone 625-750 in hindsight). GC makes a great product and the bang for the buck when the topic is full race suspension is great!

Finally got some time to add to this (stupid law school)

Also had Bill at Manntechnik make me a power steering delete! Easy to do before the engine goes back in. (available here: http://myworld.ebay.com/manntechnik)

Time was starting to run short and race reason was getting closer and closer.

Got the bottom end all buttoned back up. One of the oil scavenge rings was cracked (by me while pistons were out) so I had to replace that.

also added a windage tray and a baffle

Now it was time to tackle the front suspension. Eventually got everything out of there. Tie rods can be a huge bitch and not want to come out. Got new Control arms and some Bimmerworld Solid CAB’s too!

Got it all up in there. GC was nice enough to install my new front hubs, I just sent them down with the struts in the same box when they were shortened and such.

and dumped the front end!

Now it was time to get the engine back where it belongs! This is a story in itself, Two of my friends and I were up at the garage to work on the car for the weekend. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to locate an engine hoist. After a considerable amount of beer we decided that if we used some long 2x4’s and a few straps wrapped around the block we could get it in there.

What do you know it worked!

Cleaned up the transmission and installed an AKG DTM rod (super awesome).

Also took out the subframe to put in the new mounts and diff mount that Bill at Manntechnik made custom for me! Also got some AKG trailing arm bushings. Used the thread-all method to get the old bushings out. Works well once you get the hang of it. If you asked Seatown88 really nice he would probably make these mounts for you.

Then we put the trans in (totally forgetting to install the plate that goes between the trans and the back of the block)

Then it was time to roll her outside for the first time in months. Doesn’t look very menacing with the bottle caps on there but she’s pretty to me!

Tossed the head on

then the Intake mani too

One of the things I didn’t realize is all the wiring issues I’d run into because I bought a square harness car. I used some info I found online and make up an adapter from two female ends, one from a donor round car and the other from my eta harness that came out of my car.

Making the racing season at this point was not looking good. Due to graduation and other things I had missed almost a month of working on the car, parts continued to come in though and I held out hoping that id make the last few races.

Basket weaves pic

NKG spark plugs

Got a lot of help from the PRO3 crowd. Scott from NGK hooked me up with a set of plug wire and plugs, I stole Bill’s basket weaves and was given some old R888 take offs which I mounted. Also got some motorsport hardware studs. The racing community is full of super nice people who were always willing to help.

RACING SEAT!!!!

This is when I though I might make it. Got a OMP HTE seat OMP harness and wheel along with hub adapter…..my wallet wasn’t happy but there is no reason to skimp on safety. You want to be able to giggle while flipping though the air not worry about that shit harness and seat you bought off ebay.

Went down to PIR to watch Bill’s first full PRO3 race (was in observation before). The manntechnik car!

Unfortunately, work and law school preparations were too much. I had the option to stay in the PNW for school but ended up electing to attend The Sandra Day O’Conner College of Law at ASU. So it was time to wrap her up.

Went back over thanksgiving break and moved the car up to Bill’s.

Then over winter break I got to drive it for the first time after owning it for 1.5 years. A little shaky as there’s no passenger seat and the car is running open header aka it's loud.

Now it’s in Bill’s hands. Plan is to fly up and race it at least 2x if not 3x this season. It will then (most likely) be sold at the end of the season. Also interested in trades for E30 M3’s lol.

If you’re interested in doing this yourself be prepared to pay. To build one “right” costs a fair amount. The cheapest way to do it would be to buy a straight 89 or later “I” car, then add cage and refresh all the suspension components and buy a cheap seat and harness. I could see you doing it for 8k or so if you skimped on EVERYTHING. My build cost me north of 14k and I got a break on A LOT of parts due to family connections. There are so many little things you wont think of, so many $100 orders you didn’t plan on. My rule of thumb is whatever you think it’s going to cost add AT LEAST 20%. 30 or 40% is probably more realistic. If you have any question feel free to PM or just post them here. Can’t wait to race this summer.
    Last edited by KEVORM; 07-26-2013, 09:59 AM.
    84' 325i -> PRO3 #304