Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BimmerJeff's $700 Eta Build Thread (Now with MOAR LOW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BimmerJeff's $700 Eta Build Thread (Now with MOAR LOW)

I introduced myself about a month ago but figured its finally time to start a build thread for my eta. My overall goal for it is going to be a fun DD/auto-x car. I bought the car for $700 from a guy in NY where it had been sitting for a few years. The car needed a head gasket so I trailered it to a friends house to get working on it.

So far I've added/replaced the following:

Maintenance:
    -New BMW gasket set
    -GEBA waterpump
    -ContiTech timing belt
    -New v-belts
    -New cap/rotor/plugs/wires
    -Replaced misc vacuum lines
    -New pads and rotors
    -Nickel Copper Alloy brake hard lines

Interior:
    -MTech I steering wheel
    -Kenwood X796 CD Deck (Only wired to rears until I get to install my stereo)
    -Removed fader/installed blank plate
    -Premium sound tweeter pods
    -Waiting to be installed: Orion XTR 10" Subwoofer in a custom sealed box, old school PPI Sedona 100ix and 200ix amps, & 6 1/2" components of some kind

Exterior:
    -Blacked out kidneys
    -French highs
    -Soon to be tucked diving boards

Enough of that for now.. ON with the pics.
    Last edited by BimmerJeff; 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM.
    My Eta Build Thread

Pix???

Comment

Bringing it home on the trailer

Pile 'O Parts for the head gasket change

Starting the tear down

My mechanic friend Adam, yeah he's a redneck

During reassembly I managed to snap the bolt that holds the timing cover and alternator to the block. We managed to make up a new bolt using nuts and all-thread. I'll change it out when I do the i swap next spring.

I also had to chase down a bunch of vacuum leaks and replaced all of the hoses and intake boot as it was dry rotted.
      My Eta Build Thread

Comment

After finally getting it running better I went to move the car and my brakes went to the floor. The front to rear brake hard line decided it had enough and blew a hole right at the bend where it runs under the fuel lines by the firewall.

New nickel copper alloy line and bubble flare tool

Of course I got excited about making my own brake line and didn't show the finished flare..

But here is the new line installed

It wasn't perfectly straight but was acceptable enough for my first time using the stuff

While the car was in the air and the rear tires were off I figured it was good as time as any to replace the rear pads and rotors.

This is what I started with

And after

The joys of working on a car thats sat for a few years shortly became more of a reality when I went to bleed the brakes and the rear passenger hard line blew out as well. Having to work on the car outside I had to take a little break from working on it as the temps in NW PA dropped to below freezing.

This weekend I plan on seeing if I can replace both hard lines without dropping the whole subframe. If not I plan on replacing all the bushings in the rear end while I'm in there. I also have a 3.46 LSD differential out of an E28 that I want to install before it snows.
        My Eta Build Thread

Comment

An interior shot with my new Mtech I wheel

French highs and blacked out kidneys

Also managed to get my Yakima rack installed but need to make a fairing that I like. The 38" fairing seemed to narrow to fit with the 1A gutter mounts.

How she sat the night the rear hard line blew
          My Eta Build Thread

Comment

Good work so far i'm thinking of buying a $700 sedan that has been sitting also.
            Imported from Detroit

Comment

Crack free dash and a clock?! Nice score, looks like it cleaning up great!
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Awesome, It's just like mine. I love those steel wheels with the caps too. They look pretty good on the diving boarded cars too.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm going to be placing an order tomorrow for the rest of the bushings I need to refresh the rear end along with some stainless braided brake hoses. If I'm going to have to tear the rear end out I might as well make it worth my effort.
                  My Eta Build Thread

Comment

I finally received all of the parts I needed to refresh the rear end and change all the fluids out. Also I picked up some Brembo plain rotors for the front and a stainless brake line kit from ECS Tuning.

The goodies

I resumed taking out the rear subframe assembly by first taking a sawzall to my lovely exhaust. I tried unbolting it first but only managed to get one nut off and the rest were stripped. I'm currently sourcing an exhaust from a 325i from the manifolds back.

FedEx dropped off my rear diff today. I cant wait to get it put in!

3.46 LSD ;)

The only things keeping the subframe from coming out is removing the ebrake cable and taking the air chisel to the frozen subframe bushings. Then its time to disassemble, paint, and reassemble everything and she should be as good as new!
                    My Eta Build Thread

Comment

doing a great job with this project!

Where did you get the little badge for the grill?
                      1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                      1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                      1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                        doing a great job with this project!

Where did you get the little badge for the grill?
                        Thanks! I got the badge from EuroBadgez.com. It's just a little stick on emblem with a plastic backer that's double-sided taped on the grill.
                        My Eta Build Thread

Comment

Today I was able to get the rear end assembly out so I can start the refreshing process.

The old nasty 2.93 open diff

The only issue was trying to get the ebrake cable apart from the trailing arms which I was unable to do. To save time I'm going to paint and press in the new bushings where they sit.
                          My Eta Build Thread

Comment

Working on this car outside, in the cold, and on the ground has been frustrating to say the least. But I've managed to get it to a point where the reassembly can begin!

I was able to pull out the stock subframe bushings using the modified HF pitman arm puller and the large HF 2-Jaw puller. They actually came out easier than I expected.

I wire wheeled and painted the subframe with Sating Black VHT Chassis paint

I ran into a few snags when pressing in the new OEM subframe bushings. One went in without much of an issue and the other one just stopped about 3/4 of the way in. I managed to break the 2 jaw puller using the impact and cranking on it. I ended up having to take it to my buddies shop and have him press it in.

I also got the diff cover painted and swapped over to the new diff. I installed a Powerflex purple diff bushing as it was easier to install than an OEM bushing. We'll see how well it lasts. Its now all ready to be bolted in.

I replaced all of the hard lines on the trailing arms and coming off the T to the first set of soft lines. The only lines I haven't replaced now are the front hard lines. I also got the ECS Stainless lines partially installed so I only have to connect them to the trailing arms once they're bolted back in.
                            My Eta Build Thread

Comment

As most people encounter when they drop the subframe, part of the bushing sleeve got frozen in the body. I managed to cut slots on the sleeve and pry the pieces out with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer. Now its all ready to go back together! Of course, it would have to snow and stop progress...

My 325i exhaust arrived that I sourced from the classifieds here.

It needs a new flex pipe welded in and it should be good to go! Looks much better than my rusted out n rotted exhaust.

Also, I test fitted the bottlecaps with some snow tires I got for a good price... FREE!

Hopefully we don't get too much snow this weekend so I can finish it enough to get it on the road finally!
                              My Eta Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X