No announcement yet.

butters 318i project, S54door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll start with the good news. Tyler was good to me and allowed for a core exchange of my initial (revision 2?) subframe for his updated (revision 3?) design which allows for top mounting the sway bushings for better clearance. This time it's powder coated as well, and looks great. It went in without major issue, and survived without any scratches.

The car is basically ready for a road test, however I'm still struggling with a clutch issue. I bled nearly half a bottle through it and still had no luck getting into gear. Tried starting in gear with clutch in and confirmed that the clutch is not disengaging.

Next I pulled the slave out again and did a few bench bleeds with the bleeder pointed straight up, pushing the rod into the cylinder to push out any air that way. No change. Another odd thing is that the pedal feels decent enough and I have lots of resistance now when I go to install the slave.

Next I bled it with a friend the old fashioned way a few times. I can hear a squishy sound when the pedal is pressed with the bleeder open, don't know if that's expected. Still no change.

Next I gravity bled for awhile on the advice of a friend who is a BMW tech. Still no change but I will try this some more.

I think I need to get another slave to rule out the possibility that I got a bad one off the shelf. Aside from that I'm running out of ideas. My clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate, fork lever, throw-out bearing, pivot pin and clip are all new and installed without issue.

I'm really dying to drive the car now too, and this is the final thing in my way. Oh except the pedal broke off its epoxy when I went to install the lower kick panel. The panel needs to be clearanced for the upper part of the e-pedal:

Comment

Any updates on the build? I'm working on an S54 swap in my 91 318is right now, and your thread has been very helpful. Let me know how it's progressing!

Comment

Great progress!

Comment

Working...
        X