95maxrider's Rally-x '88 E28 build- caged, head swap and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    Also, it's a good idea to not kill old gaskets because you use too much wire brush making the IM look pretty ;) lol...
    But DAMN is it pretty!

Pat- I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
    2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

The car has had problems with rain leaking in at the corners of the windshield, so I decided to put some silicone down and see if it helps. The corners of the windshield have a pretty good curve to them, and water tends to pool there, so I wanted to build the area up a bit so the water drains better.

Front:

Rear:

Unfortunately, after yesterday's rain there was still a good amount of water in the car, so something is clearly still leaking. I'm considering doing the entire base of the windshield and seeing if that does anything, but if it doesn't I'm going to have to consider replacing the seal/windshield :( Thank god we don't have carpets, because if we did, we would have no idea the leaks existed.

Comment

Why dont you take the windshield out, and inspect the weatherstripping, you may need to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
          Why dont you take the windshield out, and inspect the weatherstripping, you may need to replace it.
          Yeah, I can only assume the weatherstripping is completely rotten. From what I understand though that's easier said than done. I have no idea how to get a windshield out without breaking it, and it sounds like most places charge the same price to replace a windshield vs. trying to save the glass and just replace the weatherstripping. But maybe I'm missing something. Got any tips?

Comment

its pretty straightforward.
            1. pull the inner lock strip out. it may break into many little pieces( so be ready for that)
            2. use a right angled pick to release the stripping from the glass.(inside and outside) WD40 helps with this.
            3. slowly with the help of someone else put even pressure on the inner top corner and center of the windshield until the top corner pops through.
            4. slowly pull it out
            5. drink a beer in celebration that you didn't break it.

installation is more of a pITA

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
              The car has had problems with rain leaking in at the corners of the windshield, so I decided to put some silicone down and see if it helps. The corners of the windshield have a pretty good curve to them, and water tends to pool there, so I wanted to build the area up a bit so the water drains better.

Front:

Rear:

Unfortunately, after yesterday's rain there was still a good amount of water in the car, so something is clearly still leaking. I'm considering doing the entire base of the windshield and seeing if that does anything, but if it doesn't I'm going to have to consider replacing the seal/windshield :( Thank god we don't have carpets, because if we did, we would have no idea the leaks existed.
              NIck if you haven't already, check the drain where the blower motor for the heater goes. If it is clogged, the water builds up there and leaks through the blower weatherstrip down the firewall and into the car. And that seal is DEFINITELY shot on a car that old (ask me how I know).

Pour some water in there and watch the flow....and then look inside the car. It should be noticeable, and would come down in the same place is it would look like the windshield leaking.

In the back, it's probably your trunk seal, as we looked at the other day.
              Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop
              visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Nick, here's what I did on the front leak:

Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Well the second set of M50/17lb injectors came in after only 2 of the first 6 worked, and we installed them last night. Unfortunately, after much cranking and swearing, the engine won't turn over. I'm about to go back outside and check to see if the rail is getting fuel. After that, I will pretty much be out of ideas.....

Comment

I can't imagine all 6 are bad. Re-check afm, icv, cps sensor connections.
                    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

can't you just use some stock "I' injectors?
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

can't you just use some stock "I' injectors?
                        I don't think that he has any.
                        Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Right now I have used m50 17 pounders (closer to 15.5-16 w/ e30 fpr), used regular i injectors, rebuilt gen III 19 pounders, and used gen I 19 pounders. I'll sell you a set if you need them.
                          ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
                          Originally posted by blunttech
                          I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
                          Build Thread?

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                            I don't think that he has any.
                            I do, a set came with the head swap parts. They are next on the list of things to try. Still no luck getting this to start.

Comment

so are you not getting fuel/spark again? Could it be that the M50 injectors just suck? Man, I'd just put some ones in there you KNOW work and call it a day.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

so are you not getting fuel/spark again? Could it be that the M50 injectors just suck? Man, I'd just put some ones in there you KNOW work and call it a day.
                                I honestly have no fcuking clue at this point. M50 injectors are a proven thing, so it's not like they're inherently wrong. And there is plenty of fuel in the rail. I'm about ready to set this thing on fire and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X