No announcement yet.

95maxrider's Rally-x '88 E28 build- caged, head swap and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man... I also sent a set of injectors for a rebuilt and was trying to figure out why the engine wouldn't start until I traced it to the injectors. Put in another set and it fired right up. Good thing you got it figured out cause if I didn't have a spare set I'd be chasing tail for a while

Comment

Originally posted by cmeptb13 View Post
      Oh man... I also sent a set of injectors for a rebuilt and was trying to figure out why the engine wouldn't start until I traced it to the injectors. Put in another set and it fired right up. Good thing you got it figured out cause if I didn't have a spare set I'd be chasing tail for a while
      Same guy?
      Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

^yep same dude

Comment

^yep same dude
          Seems like a pattern. I had a bad set, Nick, Josh...i actually bought a set of m50 injectors from him but have not installed them.

My "bad" set was a set that was removed from a running car, sent to him for a cleaning/rebuild, then came back with one not working.
          Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
            Seems like a pattern. I had a bad set, Nick, Josh...i actually bought a set of m50 injectors from him but have not installed them.

My "bad" set was a set that was removed from a running car, sent to him for a cleaning/rebuild, then came back with one not working.
            Well he just sent me my refund. Should I post my review up in his FS thread? This is getting to be unacceptable quickly.

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
            2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
              Well he just sent me my refund. Should I post my review up in his FS thread? This is getting to be unacceptable quickly.
              Not yet. I plan to PM him for a refund/return of my m50 injectors and not even install them. Don't piss him off just yet.

He seems to give refunds so he stands behind the products but that many issues is a problem. How many man-hours are wasted due to non-functioning injectors that he services?

My guess is that he is doing something wrong during the cleaning/rebuilding. Such a high concentration of failures is not coincidental.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Same story here a set of working s52 injectors came back NON-working. I PMed him but he's being kind of a dick and not really offering any kind of solution. I've yet to hear from him.

Comment

Same story here a set of working s52 injectors came back NON-working. I PMed him but he's being kind of a dick and not really offering any kind of solution. I've yet to hear from him.
                  Damn, at least he was cordial with me. Sorry to hear that.

I'm gonna make a repost of my post on the previous page since it got buried pretty quick:

Ok, I just did the stomp test and I'm not sure of how to read the results. As far as I can tell, the CEL blinked once short then once long, over and over again. I'm not sure how to read that/convert it into a code.

This page has code info, but I don't know what to do with my info....ugh. Any help?

Comment

Forgot to post pics of the old beat up PS and alternator tensioners. As you can clearly see, they were not in the best shape...thankfully the new ones are nice and shiny :)

Comment

^^ those are what the adjusters on my M10, and my M42 looked like. Luckily my spare M42 had some on there that had been replaced at some point. Pretty wimpy design, BMW.....
                      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop
                      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Forgot to post pics from the first event!

Three wheelin' it!

Comment

This is so cool lol. I'm on a mission to go watch some local Rally-x this summer.

Comment

Bobby and I got together to work on the car a couple weekends ago and were able to trace some of the water leaks coming into the trunk. It seems as if one leak was coming from the tail light seals, another from the loose weather stripping for the trunk on the driver's side, and another from the C pillar vent holes.

Here's the water coming in through the tail lights

And the area where the water from the C pillar drains into

And the loose weather stripping

Thankfully, the waterproof silicone I put down on the one corner has stayed secure, so I used more of the stuff to hold the rest of it down.

For the C pillar, we're probably just going to tape over or silicone the holes that are missing their clips that seem to keep the water out. Both C pillar vents are missing the lowest (and different style) clip and I'm too lazy to try and locate them.

I also bought some 3M Strip Calk to help seal up the tail lights. We shall see how all these fixes work in time.....I really want to get the sound deadening carpeted over both to keep it from getting torn up and also to keep the sound down. Soon though....

Apparently one common E28 failure point is a weak pedal bracket for the master cylinder.

Well, we bought the V.4 reinforcement and got to work.

After writhing around under the dash trying to contort our bodies over the high roll cage for the driver door, I got fed up and took the seat and steering wheel out so I could get better access to the pedals. Even with me lying on my back, getting good access was still incredibly difficult.

Bobby had started the project but stopped in the middle when he thought the bracket was bent and didn't line up properly. We were assured by the seller the bracket is supposed to have a bend in it, so I took over the project a few days later (when I decided to take the seat out). For whatever reason, Bobby took out both of the bolts that hold the bracket to the master cylinder, so I had to figure out how to align all the bolt holes again, which required pressing down on the clutch pedal a bit while it was not attached to anything and thus not aligned properly. I'm hoping I didn't do any permanent damage to the master cylinder in the process.

After much head banging on various sharp metal pieces and cursing, I was able to line all the bolt holes up and get it assembled. I'm not sure what Bobby did, but it all lined up perfectly for me. Thank god.

With that fixed, we drove the car out to a garage in Poolsville where we will be doing the majority of our big/difficult projects since Joe's garage is no longer an option. Yesterday, Eric got the following things done:
                            -Installed stock springs (raised the car 3-4"!!)
                            -Installed RSTB (the FSTB doesn't clear the big 2.5 IM, so I need to sell this one and get a custom one made that will clear)
                            -Installed a new coolant and PS reservoirs since ours were still leaking after replacing all the caps. Turns out one of the PS lines from the reservoir was barely clamped in place and was leaking PS fluid all over the place. Eric cleaned up both hoses and tightened them down, so hopefully that will be one less leak on the car. Hell, it might even be the reason we thought our PS box was leaking since the fluid was dripped down the line onto the box. Once Eric cleans up the box today he will inspect the mounts for cracks, since that is another very common E28 problem, and I'm pretty sure our car exhibits symptoms of broken/cracked mounts (slight clunk in steering wheel when turning to the right).
                            -Tweaked/bent the exhaust so it no longer hangs on the drive shaft. This should make driving to Summit a much less grating experience.

Today, he should start working on figuring out why our fan only comes on when the temp gauge goes into the red as well as a multitude of other projects. More updates to come!

Comment

On a side note, when are the lot of us going to chime into that injector guy's FS thread and post up our horror stories? I feel like we should do it soon....

Comment

good to see that you got that stuff done. I want to see that car 3-4" taller, lol...
                                Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop
                                visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
                                X