Red Beast Revival - 1991 325i sedan 56k no way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Beast Revival - 1991 325i sedan 56k no way

Ever since i sold my 89 325i coupe in December i felt like something was missing, and have been searching for another e30 for the past few months. Last wednesday i found this 1991 325i sedan. Ive always loved red e30 sedans so i jumped on it. Previous owner parked it in his driveway in 2007 when the timing belt broke. I was honestly surprised this happened to him because he had it dealer serviced for every little thing. Aside from the Cylinder head work that will be needed, it has some side damage on the passenger side from his son driving drunk and rubbing the car on those concrete construction barriers, but nothing that cant be fixed and its only body panel damage.

Im the 3rd owner of the car, and the guy i bought it from gave me a folder full of receipts going all the way back to the day it was bought. He bought it from a coworker back in 1998ish, who was the original owner.

I bought the car for $500, which i feel was a pretty good deal for a few reasons: the car has always been dealer serviced, or taken to 1 other reputable shop if not taken to the dealer. Crack free dash despite sitting for almost 6 years! The car odometer shows 126,xxx and odometer stopped just a few thousand miles before the timing belt went from what the history report shows. The suspension was completely redone before it was parked, a new windshield was install, and the exhaust system was redone. It also has original premium sound system(im a sucker for oem equipment). The biggest thing i like about the car was that it hasn't been tampered with(my previous e30 was owned by a "diy pro" and was a mess to say the least when i got it) and as such has all the original equipment and trim all the way down to the little locking screws for the battery cover.

Issues to tackle:
    • Side damage obviously
    • Minor Rust on both corners of back bumper
    • Gotta decide whether to engine swap it(probably what im going to do) or repair head
    • Paint

My plans for the car is just make it a nice enjoyable e30, and engine swap it most likely. Im also considering doing rallycross in it, but rallycross is somewhat hard to come by in South Texas. Now that i have another car as my DD as apposed to DD'ing an e30 i can rip into the car and really fix things on my own time table.

The interior looks like someone had a seizure while holding a cup of coffee, so tomorrow im cleaning this shit out of the interior. I think after that is done the interior will look pretty decent.

and now for pictures

Last edited by markt51; 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM.
    89 325i Coupe Auto Delphin Metallic - Sold
    91 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot - Sold
    83 323i Euro Coupe Manual Lapisblue - Sold
    89 325i Coupe Manual Delphin - Sold
    89 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot
    87 325i Vert Manual Brilliantrot

This thing is going to need a lot of love! but good luck! Looks like a fun preoject
    sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
    1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
    1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
    1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
    (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
    1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
    2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
    2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Yea i figured now that i have a separate daily driver i can rely on, getting something that is a little bit of a project would be fun. And while this one requires some work, its not as bad as some others i have seen. I feel like its a pretty stable platform for an engine swap.

Im going to checkout renting a rug doctor tomorrow to clean the interior, and i think that will bring the car back a little from looking "run down".

Comment

That carpet looks like how mine was. If you can't get all the stains out consider dying it with RIT. Much better finish than the paint.
        sigpic

Comment

clifford button?

Comment

Originally posted by brent5631 View Post
            That carpet looks like how mine was. If you can't get all the stains out consider dying it with RIT. Much better finish than the paint.
            Yea i think the rug doctor will get all the stains out, if it doesnt i might dye it. I died the carpet in my last e30 black, and it came out ok but i didnt brush it in which i think was my mistake.

And the "clifford button" is an led for the alarm system, which im pretty sure ill remove

Comment

Look like the PO took some "care" of her... How can someone live with themselves treating an E30 like that?!

Comment

Well it was taken care of before it was parked. What i believe happened is the PO was drinking coke or coffee when the head broke and was surprised and flung it everywhere. And since the car couldnt be driven anymore, they just didnt clean it.

But i agree, if thats how they actually used it day to day thats pretty sick. Personally ive always kept my cars freakin spotless inside and out, not even a receipt laying around. Always vacuumed and armor all etc. Should be picking up a rug doctor on friday(payday) and getting the poor interior back to nice shape. ill post pics after the cleaning

Comment

I'm pretty sure a child was delivered in there...

Good Luck OP
                  sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Looks like a hell of a project.
                    1991 318i SOLD
                    2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

That's a project all right.
                      Just don't sell this one lol. I probably should've held on to the one I bought from you a little longer before the mrs made me sell it. You could have bought it back.

Comment

lol yea listening to the Mrs always makes us men do things we dont want to. But im happy with this one. Ive always been a fan of Red sedan e30s. And i can tear this one down now that i have a separate DD. Im thinking about a Turbo diesel swap(if i can find one) or maybe just a simple m50 or m52. I should be able to do the bodywork myself after i buy the right tools.

Comment

Yes they do. We just had our first child so it was a better idea. She actually put the ad up for me lol.
                          You will more than likely need to look for an e28 524td to get a complete running turbo-D swap. I will be the most cost effective as well. That would make a beast daily.

Comment

not bad at all to start with.

Comment

Finally did some work on friday. Started with removing the front end, and then i just kept going on along the damaged side removing the fender and 2 doors. In all it took me about an hour and 10 min.

Bumper off

Fender off

Doors off. This is where i stopped for the night.

Today i went to Harbor freight to get a body repair kit for the doors and fender, and also an engine hoist and stand. They didnt have the stand or hoist, but the associate gave me a coupon for $100 off the hoist when it comes in on the truck tomorrow. SCORE!

This is what i wound up picking up for today

Comment

Working...
                              X