My first build 2.7i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first build 2.7i

This is my first time tearing into a motor. I received lots of help from r3v thanks everyone!

My 85eta overheated 3 times in 1 month
    The car has been driven rarely in the last few years. Due to my suspended license. Then my girlfriend jumped it backwards and it sat for a year. When I got my license back I put a new battery in it and it fired right up.no problems.
    It started overheating occasionally. The temp guage does not work so I have no idea how hot it was running or how many times it overheated that I did not notice. The last time it over heated I blew a coolant hose.

I duct taped it and drove it home.....took 3 hours and 3 bars.since I don't have a temp guage so I was extra careful. I drove 4 miles.....had a beer,chilled for bit, 8 miles stopped for another beer...and so on you get the idea.

It's time for a freshen up.
    I had late model m20b25 donor car with a bad bottom end.
    This should be done by may.

I haven't touched the car yet. I'm still collecting parts
    I pulled everything I need off of the donor motor.
    I took the head,intake, and the throttle body to the machine shop. The heads getting rebuilt an everything is getting a mild(pro3) port and polish. The cam is getting a 272 regrind. I picked up a set of m50 injectors. And I have a mark d chip.(not sure wich one).
    I still need to buy a lot.
    Going with the late model cooling system.
    Radiator
    Water pimp
    T stat
    Hoses
    Expansion tank
    Electric fan
    Other stuff
    Cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    Wires
    headers
    Gaskets(for everything)
    Timing belt
    Tensioner
    Oil pump
    K&n filter
    Oil catch can

I probably forgot something.
    I will post pics when as I go.
    I will also be putting my gc's and camber plates on while the car is sitting.
    Hopefully will be finishing my late model bumper swap, the easy pArts done(front ) now I get to tackle the rear.

Suspended license. Retarded girlfriend. Drinking and driving.

Win thread.

In all seriousness, good luck bringing it back to life.

Comment

good luck man, i'll be following!
      Originally posted by Earendil
      I listen to the band M20 almost exclusively these days. They have some mad tick beats, and without firewall insulation or an interior it's almost as good as watching M20 live. Sometimes when I'm really in a rocking mood, I crank the volume up to 6K.

Comment

WINNING! good luck bro! :)

Comment

Every time I start reading it cost me more fuckin money!

Going to be adding a 2.5" exhaust with a high flow cat and a glass pack. It may sound cheesy but that's basically what I have except mines 2" I love the raspy sound it puts out.

Comment

Picked up a radiator, hoses and mustang billet expansion tank.

I accidentally cut my top hose opening the box! Oh well lol

And I got the head back from the machine shop freshly rebuilt and p&p'd

Still waiting on the intake, throttle body and valve cover to be painted and machined.

Comment

My parts collection so far!

Comment

Nice work! Post pics of the Mustang Reservoir please!

As far as your Transmission/Flywheel/and clutch set up, what are you running? I'm building a 2.7i as we speak as well.

I'm running a 1987 325e transmission/Single Mass lightened flywheel/Sach's Racing Clutch Kit. Curious what you're planning on running.

As far was the engine harness swap goes, what's your plan as far as the Reference Speed Sensor, and CPS sensor goes? Looks like I need to do more research.. When are you planning on having this done?
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

As far as clutch and tranny goes I'm sticking with all the stock eta stuff, I'm not even gonna pull the motor. I havnt gotten to far into the wiring yet I'm figuring it out as I go.

If you look at my pic up top you can see the mustang expansion tank on the right side

My plan is to have this done by the end of June so I can make it to the e30 picnic

Comment

Dude, what happened to just throwing it together in a weekend? Haha I love it!
                    Originally posted by Earendil
                    I listen to the band M20 almost exclusively these days. They have some mad tick beats, and without firewall insulation or an interior it's almost as good as watching M20 live. Sometimes when I'm really in a rocking mood, I crank the volume up to 6K.

Comment

you just got your DL back and you're already drinking and driving. Be safe out on the road bud
                      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

1 beer an hour, the body can process that and not get intoxicated ;)

Comment

Well I had to get the car running the way it was since the 190d I was borrowing blew up. So this is gonna take even longer than I anticipated.

Since I've been driving it I've discovered the throw out bearing is going out. If I have to pull the tranny I may as well pull the motor.

I'm going to build an entire motor now instead of just doing the top end stuff.

So I'm adding a block rebuild and shaved "I" pistons into the mix. It will now be a 2.8. Hopefully pulling the block out of the donor this weekend.

Comment

Aluminum head rebuilders on Portland Oregon

Comment

I think I'm gonna go with a seta bottom end it seems to be the best route.

Now I just have to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X