While You're In There... CA BAR Certified S52 OBD2 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While You're In There... CA BAR Certified S52 OBD2 Swap

Finally got my car running perfectly, now it's time to pull it all apart for an s52 swap.
    If it ain't broke fix it anyway!

The swapee is a 1991 schwarz 325i with 157k on the clock.

The motor came with most of the obd2 bits to run on the stock ecu.
    Ews, air pump, giganto carbon canister, running losses valve, everything besides the fuel pressure sensor is there.

My plan is to try and pass CA bar as an obd2 s52.
    We'll see how that goes as I start grafting all the fun emissions stuff onto the car.

Here's the motor.

Midpipe and remus catback with huge 90mm tips came as part of the deal.

The soon-to-be-swapped e30.
    Last edited by arch4ngel; 10-11-2015, 02:05 PM.
    Project
    Feedback

Pulled the motor last night, was worlds easier than I planned for.
    Didn't even need a helper!

Hopefully the install goes this smoothly.

Here's a couple pics:

Motor ready to come out.

It's crowning!

Success!
    Project
    Feedback

Comment

Looks like a clean shell man, good luck with the swap.
      1987 325is - S52

Comment

I'm finishing up my Swartz obd2 s52, nice project!

Comment

Nice work! Does your car have an lsd, and do you have plans for wheels?
          88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
          We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Thanks guys!

The car came stock with an s3.73 but I'm going with a zf trans so I picked up a 3.15 torsen diff from a z3.

E30stan, do you have a build thread? Would like to see how you're going about keeping things obd2.

EDIT: forgot to mention, no plans for wheels as of yet. I'll either be getting a set of super sticky tires for the rz378s, or possibly go big brakes and 17" kopis. Will have to see how the car does after the swap!
            Last edited by arch4ngel; 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM.
            Project
            Feedback

Comment

Where was the last pic (the forest one) taken?
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Samuel Taylor state park, north bay.
                Project
                Feedback

Comment

Where in the Bay are you?

Comment

Walking distance to Pixar.
                    Straight line south west from solano county.
                    Last edited by arch4ngel; 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM.
                    Project
                    Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                      Thanks guys!

The car came stock with an s3.73 but I'm going with a zf trans so I picked up a 3.15 torsen diff from a z3.

E30stan, do you have a build thread? Would like to see how you're going about keeping things obd2.

EDIT: forgot to mention, no plans for wheels as of yet. I'll either be getting a set of super sticky tires for the rz378s, or possibly go big brakes and 17" kopis. Will have to see how the car does after the swap!
                      No build thread on this project, rushing through it like crazy on spring break, but staying obd2 isnt too hard if you can get ahold of the entire car to pull the motor, harness, ecu, sap, running losses valve/fuel pressure regulator. Then get the ews module, transmitter, and antenna ring with the transponder from the key and wire it all up. I had the entire car to get parts from, so was a no brainer as opposed to getting older obd1, less costly too. Theres plenty info if you search obd2 s52

Comment

Excited to follow this from the beginning. Good luck sir.
                        View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Thanks Link!
                          Pretty excited myself, this project has been several years in the making!

I'm not too worried about the usual obd2 stuff, that seems to have all been documented here.
                          My concern is with the extra emissions parts that people usually just flash out of the dme, notably the fuel tank pressure sensor and the gigantic carbon canister.
                          I believe I'll need that stuff to pass CA bar and haven't seen anyone try to plumb either.
                          Or pass bar as obd2 for the matter.
                          Project
                          Feedback

Comment

Didn't do much to the car this weekend but scored a booster/mc at the junkyard.
                            The 735i it came from was in pretty good shape, should clean up nice.

Also found a late model e30 engine-side harness so I can start making my adapter.
                            Project
                            Feedback

Comment

It's been a couple weeks since updating as I've been busy working on the e34 and whats left of my parts budget has been going to various bits as I find them.

Came across this gem on craigslist and had to snatch it up:

Schrick manifold with the logo still attached!
                              I have an m50 manifold I was going to run but this will allow me to keep everything obd2 without a conversion kit and make it easy to swap over to stock when going in for smog.
                              Also I can get it extrude honed so it flows a lot better than the m50 manifold
                              It came with a conforti tune for the manifold, 24 lb injectors and 3.5 maf. Not sure if I'll run it or not yet as I'm not sure what mods I'll be running by the time I get her running.

Also managed to track down a zf trans with only 40k on it! You can practically eat off the thing, it's spotless.

Had a little time to make some headway tearing down the motor:

From the looks of the head I started getting my hopes up that I might be able to run the motor as is without rebuilding the top or bottom end.

Much to my chagrine I found this while removing the spark plugs:

Two electrodes broken off, and the insulating plug thingy on the top of the plug nearly melted off. Supposedly the motor was compression checked before I bought it, can't imagine they didn't look at the plugs then. Wish I had a way to run my own compression check, though I've no idea how to do that on the stand. Lovely.

Next I'll be pulling the head and checking for damaged internals.
                              Last edited by arch4ngel; 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM.
                              Project
                              Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X