Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Body Fixer Project (Now 5 lug - Refreshing S62 before install) --Now Wrecked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Body Fixer Project (Now 5 lug - Refreshing S62 before install) --Now Wrecked

I'm back in the e30 game with a new project.

The details:
    - Cosmos blue
    - S50b30 with a zf320
    - 2.93 LSD
    - Black vinyl sport interior
    - Ireland stage 3 springs, Bilstein Sport shocks

Future plans:
    - Install the s54 I've got sitting at a friends house (49k mile motor)
    - e30 M3 5 Lug
    - RC035/RC038 wheels, and probably collect a few more sets

For now I'm just tallying up the small stuff I need to fix in order to clean it up, some big, and some small, then I'll start with the rest of it.
    Things that need fixing:

- Passenger sun visor is warped
    - Headlight switch sometimes works and sometimes doesn't
    - Drivers side key won't work, something binding inside
    - Drivers door break isn't engaging
    - Passenger front and rear window aren't working (motors respond but are either super slow or won't crank at all)
    - Brake pedal has a lot of travel (it doesn't fluctuate with pumping, so I believe it's a leaky booster)
    - Ugly blue carpet
    - previous owner colored the needles on the gauge cluster and installed them incorrectly (first gear roll registers going 15 miles an hour, it's about 10mph off)
    - Antenna motor broke, will be switching it out for a 318ti setup

And here's a picture as of this morning:

First update:

I removed the mudflaps, they scraped on everything because of how low the car is.

I also tore into the drivers door. It looks like someone tried taking the lock apart, and didn't put it back together correctly. Once I put it back correctly, it works fine.

The window motors are on order, hopefully they will come in sooner than later. I was able to find them through r3v used and in good condition. Saved a few dollars for future parts. Also, headlight switch and sun visor are both on order through r3v. Wednesday I'm going up north to pick up a grey carpet which should help me finish off the interior mods.

Next on the list is the brake booster, which will be swapped for manual brakes, the booster won't fit around the intake on the next motor I'm going to run. I'm also looking for the front and rear plastic bumpers, and late model rear valance to finish off the outside.

Also, after fixing things all morning, I tried to open the glove box and this happened. I'm not sure how to open it, but I'll figure out a way once the replacement parts come in. Looks like the previous owner tried to ghetto rig the glovebox door with shoe goo, didn't work so well.

Last edited by 318isbmw; 08-13-2014, 07:48 AM.

I got my ZHP Knob in this morning, so I snapped a picture of the interior. Thursday I'll be getting a grey carpet, so I can complete the conversion to black interior.

Also, here's my S54, tucked away in a friends shed for now.

Comment

subed.... 4dr+s54+early me like

if you put on euro bumpers this thing will be tits
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

Wow, great start! Total sleeper as of right now.

I'd be interested in the blue carpet, if it's in good shape...
        Originally posted by LJ851
        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
        #teamross
        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
          Wow, great start! Total sleeper as of right now.

I'd be interested in the blue carpet, if it's in good shape...
          Sounds good, I'll let you know how it looks once I pull it out and can see the whole thing. It looks to be in good shape right now from what i can tell with seats and consoles in.

Comment

Got a little stack of maintenance items for the car today.

The parts are:

New headlight switch
            New door lock control unit
            Passenger window motor, and passenger rear window motor
            New trunk gasket
            e36 window switches
            valve cover gasket set
            New VDO Gear set

Should have a VDO unit coming in this week which I'll put a rebuilt SI board in with new gears to replace my failing unit

I installed the passenger window motor this evening, works perfectly. I also had to trouble shoot an issue with no headlights. It ended up being a failing headlight relay. While I was in there I rewired the headlights that the previous owner had botched. Also I installed the e36 switches, and headlight switch. Lots more to go.

I'm pleased with the e36 switches, so much better than e30 switches in looks and in functionality.

Got the car back together this afternoon in the rain. I did the valve cover gasket and used some Permatex high temp rtv and didn't over torque it like the old one was, which between the two solved the valve cover leak issue. Also, I got to play with one of my dad's tools which my grandpa bought back in the early 1960's. Still looks good as new.

The other toys are looking kind of dejected. Got some new airride parts in for the C10, it's getting close to being able to move again, after being apart for 8 years. The tires on the truck are sitting on 4x4's and it's still about 6" lower than the galaxie, which has a mild 2" drop.

Comment

Sub'd. This shall be good.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Well then lets see this! Im liking it already!
                sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Just spent the afternoon working on the e30. I had a few parts to install.

I picked up a Race Skids skidplate, some AKG Camber/ Caster plates, front subframe reinforcements, and rear swaybar reinforcements. I also picked up some new OEM bolts for my valve cover as some of the ones I had were missing the washers, and a new door stop.

First up was install the skid plate.

Next I handled the door stop. Old one was pretty thrashed, and thoroughly coated in grease. It was a mess to clean the inside of the door.

I haven't installed the camber/ caster adjusters, or the front subframe reinforcements, and rear swaybar mounts yet. I've got a second rear subframe and trailing arms, so I'm going to install it all on the second set and then just swap everything as a complete unit.

I also grabbed one of my wheels just to see what it looks like on the car. It'll be on an e36 setup more than likely, so it'll be a hair wider. The centers aren't fully seated, and are about a half inch wider than they should be, so we'll see how the fitment goes. A bit more stretch than I had wanted.

Comment

I forgot to update the thread a while back, here's a copy off of the local bmw forum.

Got a couple boxes in the mail today so I pulled my dad and I's baby out of the garage for the first time in months and started tearing into the car again.

I replaced the right motor mount, but the left will have to wait (they aren't old, I just wanted the heavy duty m5 mounts, rather than just stock ones). Under the intake manifold it looks like a mess, so it'll have to wait for a weekend of organizing under the intake, fuel lines and such, and then install the left motor mount.

Now that the body is the way I want it, it's time for the fun stuff. Already have Condor Speed Shop rear bushings on the way, and am picking up a 318ti rear 5 lug this week.

And the work I did today...

Small update. I got bored and pulled the transmission in my other project car, funny how small a high horsepower 4 speed can be. My Muncie M21...

I finally had a chance to start locating the rear camber/ caster adjusters. I got the caster adjusters tacked in place on a spare subframe Tommy and I had picked up a while back. No pictures of the rear yet, I'll post them in the next couple of weeks when i finish up the rear subframe.

I also finished up with the front subframe braces on a spare front subframe Tommy and I had. Here's what it turned out like, with my booger welds.

Comment

Worked on the style 5's a bit this afternoon. Got the barrels started, they'll be white, and the insides will be either silver or gunmetal. If anyone has ideas, I'm more than willing to listen, looking for pastel colors to go with cosmos blue paint.

Comment

FInally I've got something to show on my project. It's been very busy with work and other peoples projects. Here is what I've got so far, I'll be installing it next week while I'm off work.

The list is:
                        Condor Delrin subframe/ RTAB/ diff bushings
                        AKG rear trailing arm adjusters
                        E36 M3 brakes front
                        E36 M3 brakes rear (300mm.de caliper mounts)
                        Hawk HPS Pads all around
                        New E-brake assembly
                        Vorshlag Camber plates
                        Ireland Stage 3 Springs
                        Koni top adjustable shocks front and rear
                        Rogue rear shock mounts
                        Bimmerworld braided brake lines
                        Bimmerworld 22mm/ 18mm swaybar kit
                        Bimmerworld Adjustable front end links
                        Bimmerworld Rear swaybar reinforcements
                        E36 M3 3.0 lock to lock steering rack
                        New outer and inner tie rods
                        Lemfelder Balljoints
                        Treehouse Racing Eyeball Arms
                        And a set of 16x8 style 5's with snow tires for the rest of the winter. I should be able to send out the 17x8/17x9 style 5's next month to be stripped and powdercoated so it'll look minty fresh this summer.

I also got rid of my S54 and picked up an S62 and 6 speed which should be arriving next week from Spokane.

Comment

Titties.

Comment

Sub'd. Dear God. Thinking of doing a similar set up. Picking up a spare subframe to swap into my 84 318i.. Might as well swap hubs while everything is out.

Comment

Wow... jaw dropped when I saw:

I also got rid of my S54 and picked up an S62 and 6 speed which should be arriving next week from Spokane.
                              What made you change your mind? Not that an S62 was a bad choice hehe.
                              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                              X