The White Whale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The White Whale

No this isn't a thread about the girls of MonkeyMadness's dreams. It's about my e34.

Call me chadthestampede. Some days ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would look about a little and see the cars and trucks for sale section of craigslist. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a hot, humid May in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off—then, I account it high time to buy a used bmw as soon as I can.

This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to cars. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards these cars with me.

Circumambulate the city of a dreamy Sabbath afternoon. Go from Orchard Park to Buffalo, and from thence, by Williamsville, northward. What do you see?—Posted like silent sentinels all around the town, stand dozens upon dozens of rusted, antediluvian bmw's. Some parked under the topiary; some stationary among the streets of the barrio; some looking over the driveways of neglect. How then is this? Are the enthusiasts gone? What do they here?

And as for those who, previously hearing of the White e34, by chance caught sight of it; in the beginning of the thing they had every one of them, almost, as boldly and fearlessly lowered for it, as for any other bmw of that model. But at length, such calamities did ensue in these attempts—not restricted to rust flakes in the eyes or bruised knuckles.

Alright enough of that.

I acquired this 93 525it for $1100 the other day. It popped up on cl and I couldn't resist, despite ColdAccord's dire auguries of rust and woe. It wasn't running when I bought it but a little fuel pump retrofitting and fiddling around with the crank sensor wiring and it's running fine, with the exception of the MAF being shit. I have a new one on the way.

Ever since MattAvino bought my e30 I've been dying to get a car I can work on. My current 92 525it is just too rusty to justify working on it, and it's tired old m50 is on it's last legs. Tranny starting the trans code bullshit as well. Nevertheless, I'm glad I have the green one as a parts car now.

So I picked this up. I'll document whatever progress or retrogression I achieve on this thing and probably insult random people along the way. There's some rust here and there but it's really not bad for a Buffalo car, and for $1100 I can't complain.

My pictures are shit so deal with it.

First e34 I've seen with this cool blue interior, and the wood trim makes me feel rich in a 90's sort of way.

First job was putting in a radio and fixing some of the missing trim around the HVAC. Somehow I managed to put the wrong wires on the sliders for the blower EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE COLOR CODED. So now my defroster blows when I switch on the front facing vents and vice versa.

Anyway this looks much better

Glovebox hangs so that's one of my next projects, I might change the cabin air filter while the glovebox is the way it is.

This is the worst of the cracks in the wood trim. Haven't decided what to do here.

It came with all this change. BONUS.

I haven't had a white car since my first car - a '95 GMC Safari. Like an ass I already got greasy hand prints all over this thing that you can sort of see in the pics. It's got a few dents here and there but this is just going to be a fun daily, I'm not totally concerned with cosmetics. Just rust.

Anyway that's it for now. I'm starting a new job so I won't have time to work on this for a while, plus I have to do all my work in an apartment parking lot so it sucks.
    Last edited by chadthestampede; 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Also when I was going to work the other day I reached over for the seatbelt and found this guy. I grabbed a screwdriver to knock him out the window and when I looked back he was gone. I call him Earl.

I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

I need to bring the E30 by.
      Apparently you can leave it parked on the street at night and a cop will issue a ticket at 2:00am WHILE THE CAR IS PARKED for expired inspection.
      DO THESE MOTHERF*CKERS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO?!?
      E30 buildy things
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Also, cool touring. Put in an S52
        E30 buildy things

Comment

I will also add: That 325es that I got will be rallied hard in the woods of Boston NY. Feel free to join.
          E30 buildy things

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
            I need to bring the E30 by.
            Apparently you can leave it parked on the street at night and a cop will issue a ticket at 2:00am WHILE THE CAR IS PARKED for expired inspection.
            DO THESE MOTHERF*CKERS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO?!?
            Yeah they do that, I've had that happen before.

Feedback

Comment

goddamned revenue monkeys
              E30 buildy things

Comment

I like what Im seeing to come.
                View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

I was feeling froggy today so I tackled some wiring issues. As mentioned before some asshat PO had installed a Viper alarm in this thing, and the hacked wiring really bothered me. It was only a matter of time before something went wrong with it so I decided to pull it today.

Here's how it was tied in to the harness:

It's hard to believe anyone pays or gets paid to install these things. Wiring was a total hack job although not a huge pain in the ass to remove.

I was relieved that the car started afterward though.

Then I decided to tackle some of the hatch wiring issues. I fixed a few broken wires in the back but the hatch still wouldn't open. I traced the wires a bit and found this mess. Looks like it was repaired before.

A towel under the carpeting is never a good sign

That might be an issue.

Anyway I spliced some new connectors in as a temporary fix and the hatch opens 95% of the time now. Every so often it seems to stick but I think that might have to do with the wiring in the hatch itself. The rear window still won't open but I didn't have time to fool with that today.

Feedback

Comment

Oooo la la bob. Me likey. Me likey long time.
                    Swanny!
                    SUCKERS.

Comment

Oh btw, I was really expecting to see something like this at first.

Touring is almost as good.
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

does it have an M70 yet?
                        E30 buildy things

Comment

I approve.

What are your plans?
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I also approve of this thread because it has the phrase "dire auguries", a spider, and cracked woodgrain. These are a few of my favorite things.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                            1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                            1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                            1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                            1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
                              does it have an M70 yet?
                              FFFFFFUUUUU I have no time. I work at a chrysler dealer now so now I spend all my time selling parts for shitty caravans.

Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X