No announcement yet.

My first BMW ('85 318I)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some videos of the car in action yesterday. I'm still perusing the M10 forums for ideas. If anything jumps out to anyone please let me know. Like I said, first time working on a BMW, I usually stick to rotaries.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

OK guys, so we tried cleaning the engine bay a little bit and deleted the ICV this weekend. Now when we start her up she just shuts right off whereas before she'd idle at 3,000 rpm. Does this sound like a fuel starvation issue and would modulating the idle set screw on the throttle body help this?

Also, can someone share a picture of the idle set screw on an M10 please? It's hard to see under the manifold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

On a related note, was I supposed to remove all the piping and the reducer back to the intake pipe when removing the ICV?

Comment

Ok guys! Crazy long time since I updated. Since July 24th we have discovered that the block is cracked

So we put everything on hold and cleaned some stuff up

In mid October I found someone on the forums selling a running M10 so we jumped on it. We then moved the car over to my friends house where he has a large garage and a nice lift for us to use.

We started taking everything out and finally got the engine and tranny up.

We started cleaning up the "new" engine and acquiring a few parts.

While waiting for parts I spent a day scrubbing and power washing the engine bay and I have no pictures of that because it was dark when I finished. It's been snowing since then pretty much and I haven't had a chance.

Along the way we discovered a bunch of stuff that was going to need replacing, i.e. motor mounts, transmission mounts, fan clutch, guibo, pilot bearing. We ended up ordering so much stuff from Pelican and Turner Motorsport and Ireland Engineering it wasn't even funny.

At this moment we're waiting on solid motor and transmission mounts from Condor Speed Shop and a SSK from Garage Welt. We also picked up a power steering delete block from Condor to help clean up the engine bay a little.

Wish us luck and when we next work on it I'll upload some new pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by gettinscurvy View Post

So many parts!

Peekaboo FD cameo. Who's car?
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Said friend whose garage is being used. It has 14,000 miles on it :p

Comment

Hello everyone. I am a friend who has been working on this car alongside op. We haven't updated in a while, so here is the latest.

We got poor compression test results. 100 on one cylinder and about 165 on the rest.

We have had issues starting ever since we swapped in the motor. We went through all the electrical tests suggested in factory and Bentley manuals. We found that the TPS had motor oil in it so we replaced it. We also replaced the MAF and DME. The starter tested good. Harness tested good at relay side, the DME side and the fuel rail. We replaced the distributor cap, plug wires and plugs themselves. All vacuum lines were replaced with silicone variants as was the boot for the air box. We are confident that the timing is correct but need to verify this.

We were able to get the car to briefly kick when we put straight 12V to the injectors so that fuel was present in the cylinders. We tested the injectors with noid lights and they did not light up at all. However, the injectors themselves are good as we tested, cleaned and replaced gaskets when we switched the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator. There is fuel in the lines as indicated by our clear hose and the primary pump is replaced and good. The secondary pump tests fine as well.

We have ordered a fuel injector (idle stabilization) relay. It seems this is the final culprit left in this mess. We both hope it fixes our issue.

Besides these things we have been working on the suspension. We replaced the rear struts and springs with Bilstein sports and H&R sports. We removed the fronts to discover that we need new strut housings and are hunting for them now. We also are going to order new tie rods, control arm bushings and end links. The retainer screws for the rotors needed to be drilled out. Consequently, we are going to refresh the front brakes too.

Both of us have found ourselves in unfortunate budgetary constraints as of late so we are now on the slow track to completion.

Comment

Minor update. We found the 51mm strut housings we were looking for and have successfully removed the control arms. It took a bit of work, but they're out!

We pressed out the ball joints with little issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4RHLHMRLA

But now those babies are back in with some nice polyurethane bushings.

Comment

Minor 318 updates!!

Let's recap:

As of last weekend we had the 318i up on jackstands because the front control arms, tie rods and struts were not mounted.

Saturday:

A truely American day. I drove recklessly on gravel roads, I shot some guns, I napped with little kitties on my chest and I worked on some good ol' kraut and jap cars. We had all of the parts required to swap out the springs and struts for the 318i and slam everything back onto the car for potential forward movement. That whole process went without a hitch until we couldn't find the very fine thread lock nuts for the tie rods...so it's on the ground but not very steer-able. Oh well, we'll put some new ones on this weekend and get it towed home to beautiful Randallstown.

Then we tried to clean up my summer wheels for the RX-7. Once the ratios of patience/tolerance/hard work/tears/bladder control were in perfect harmony we slammed them on the car. They look, "ehh" up close and pretty damn good from 100ft away.

And that about sums it up for the weekend.

Comment

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X