Dad and Daughter E30 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by henryki View Post
    Dang, I wish I knew about E30's when I was 15.. Looks like you have a good platform to start off for a good project! Looks like you'll have a lot of fun, and a great time with your dad working on it.

Good luck on the build! :up:

Sub'd.
    Me too, I wish I knew E30 when I was 17.. Lol
    That time only knew tune + mod 100cc motorcycle..
    Start know E30 on 30, lol
    :nice:
    [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback

Comment

Good luck!! You guys are doing great. Love that your dad is teaching you guys, or you are teaching him :)

Hope everything comes together!

Comment

Day 6:

PROBLEMS !

We got the head back from the machine shop, timed the motor and put everything back together except the cooling system.

Tuned the key and......NOTHING. Car won't even crank at all. Any tips?

Currently out of ideas. Disappointed to say the least. We have a lot of pics to show of the car going together which we will show when we get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia View Post
          Day 6:

PROBLEMS !

We got the head back from the machine shop, timed the motor and put everything back together except the cooling system.

Tuned the key and......NOTHING. Car won't even crank at all. Any tips?

Currently out of ideas. Disappointed to say the least. We have a lot of pics to show of the car going together which we will show when we get it running.
          Tell us more Do you have dash lights?
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Yeah plenty of lights in the dash. We can hear some things clicking in the engine bay when we try to start it, but just no crank.

Would the oil level sensor cause a no crank? The female connections to ours look melted and doesn't want to plug in correctly

Starter bad? We did power wash the bay some carefully

Gonna try again tomorrow.

Comment

Oh yeah... I have a blinking check engine light also

Comment

Have you done the stomp test to read codes? Put the key in ignition, turn it to the 2 position and hit the gas pedal all the way down and up, give it a second and hit it down and up 4 more times. Your check engine will blink once...slow. Then after than it will start giving you the codes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
                sigpic
                Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

You probably have a blinking "check" light. Hit the button on the "check" panel on the ceiling just above your rearview mirror. That will turn off the check light and let you know about common easily fixable maintenance items. Your check engine light is separate and says "check engine". You can worry about pulling the codes out of the computer after you get it to run a bit.

Oil level sensor won't cause it not to crank.

Starter bad? Maybe. Make sure your wires are hooked up correctly. Make sure the big engine ground is hooked up (between oil pan and chassis). Also, whack the starter with a hammer gently. Then try to start it with the key. Or better yet, have your Paw whack the starter (not to hard), while you turn the key.

Don't lose hope, when it starts, it'll all be worth it.
                  Last edited by Ether-D; 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM. Reason: add starter whack trick.
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Does your dad have a multimeter? Make sure you're getting voltage to the power terminal and solenoid terminal of the starter, also check for voltage drop.

Here's some basic guides for this procedure, you might be able to find something better on google:

When the starter is slow to crank, check the battery an d perform a voltage drop test on the starter circuit. How to perform a voltage drop test on a starter circuit. Volatage drop test the positive and negative cable.

Comment

Thanks for the advice POORBOYZ I love reading and learning about these cars!

Comment

Wish my daughter had interest? :( maybe my newborn will when she's old enough...
                        sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

good project! have fun! projects with dad is always the best!

Comment

Day 7:

Its ALIVE!!

My dad banged on the starter a few times while I was trying to start it and she fired right up!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As you can tell she is having a tough time keeping an idle.. Any thoughts?

Well either way we got her running. Here is my first drive!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Next Problem:

We have this weird whining sound coming from what sounds like the fuel tank area. Is our fuel pump bad?

Well either way we are extremely happy. We bought this car for $600 dollars 16 days ago, have put about $850 into it and have a running car!

Comment

Congats on getting it running.

Videos are listed as private, cannot see them.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                Congats on getting it running.

Videos are listed as private, cannot see them.
                                Sorry.. fixed

Comment

Working...
                                X