Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88 vert with 98 turbo M3 drivetrain. Just starting. BMW newbie here. Be nice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 vert with 98 turbo M3 drivetrain. Just starting. BMW newbie here. Be nice.

Hi Guys,

Ive got an 88 325ic, that I bought a few years ago with the sole purpose of doing an engine swap to. The car is very nice, just needs a new engine (current one is tired) and a 5spd. (its a auto-tragic)

I just bought a rolled over 92 E36 with super low miles with a full 98 M3 swap. Its also got a Active Autowerks Tuning stage 2 turbo kit on it.

So the engine has been converted to OBD1 (its in a 92 E36 325i) i Beleive the wiring and ecu are from the 92.

My questions are these. Im sure to

How can I tell if I have a S50 head or a M50 head? I beleive the intake manifold is an m50.

I know I will not be able to use all of the turbo kit from the car. Its a bottom mount. But would like to use as much as possible.

By using a Good and Tight manifold (Will be buying one soon), My maf will no longer be in front of the turbo...like it was on the AA tunings turbo kit. Do I need a special Maf? Because now it will see boost pressure.

I was hoping to use as much of the Turbo kit thats on the E36. The intercooler and pipes are junk. But was hoping to use the tune (ecu), turbo, and some of the exhaust. (hoping to make the catback fit)

Im a bit nervous about the harness, as its has already been swapped once (taken from the 98 M3, then into the 92 (E36) 325i) I have no idea what was done to convert the e36 to obd1. I keep hearing about the red top ecu to use. The one from this E36 is not a red stickered one. Can it still be used for my swap? It does have a custom tune from AA Tuning on it for the car.

I plan on using the 5spd also. Although I am hoping it will shift better once its out of the wrecked car. Very hard to shift gears. Hoping that some things are just shifted from the accident. Pretty bad roll.

The car (Rolled e36) didnt start when I got it. This past weekend, I found out it had a faulty fuel pump. I threw is an old one I had lying around from a e30, just to see if I could get it to fire up. It did start up, but as soon as I touched the gas pedal it would die. That was good enough for me to hear though before starting to rip the engine out. (I just wanted to make sure It didnt make any horrible noises) I pulled the front radiator (or what was left of it) out, and the rad support. Started to disconnect the wiring. Hoping to pull the engine this weekend.

Jay

how you makin out?
    my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

if the previous owner told you it was an obd1 m3 motor, in your 92 e36, then its probably the s50, it has the m50 manifold because obd1.

good luck with everything. pretty brave jumping into a turbo swap project as your first build. you can doooo iiiiiit.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Working...
      X