Project Neil1138. Adventures of the Cream Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87'325e View Post
    What are your final spacer specs in the front and rear. Car looks amazing. Pics are great as always. Good luck with the A/C.
    I went with 3mm in front and 5mm in the rear.

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    What'd you do to fit your AC lines?

The dryer also has a filter inside, could be clogged preventing flow.

IIRC the whole system should take a full bottle of oil, about 8 oz.
    Line from the condenser to compressor is the e30 318i (M42) line. Line from the evaporator to the compressor is custom. Mix of an s52 line and stock e30 line.

Comment

Well, a/c problems continue...

• Replaced the condenser with a brand new parallel flow unit
      • Replaced the dryer with brand new "updated" style w/one pressure switch
      • Replaced compressor with brand new denso unit. Had to switch out the top plate, and added 6oz of fluid to compressor before re-installing.
      • Using air compressor, blew out all lines, to ensure there were no blockages.
      • Replaced aux fan resistor
      • Removed a/c evaporator and blew that out with compressed air as well.
      • All new o-rings
      • Pulled a DEEP vacuum (nearly 30inHG) on entire system (low side and high side) for 1 hour, left sitting for another 4 hours. No visible leakage
      • Rewired dual mode pressure switch that attaches to a/c dryer
      • Went to fill a/c (with entire system under vacuum on both low and high pressure side). Low side would take 80psi and go even higher, but high pressure side stayed at vacuum. Wasn't building any pressure whatsoever.
      • I verified that the compressor clutch is working... or at least it is turning when the compressor is engaged.
      • Thought maybe there was somehow blockage on high pressure side. Disconnected HP line from compressor, disconnected HP line at firewall and blew compressed air through compressor side (therefore air would flow through HP line, into condenser and through dryer). No problem at all. Compressed air/oil flew out no problem. WTF
      • Disconnected HP line from compressor and ran compressor for a few seconds (to see if somehow blockage test wasn't good enough). If all was well, the 80psi on the LP side should have escaped through the HP side but nope. I'm fuckin lost at this point.

I'm going to replace the compressor with my old one and see if that changes anything. I am blown away by the possibility that a brand new denso (OEM) compressor is bad right out of the box. Does anyone have any advice?
      Last edited by Neil1138; 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Replaced the new compressor with the old one. What's interesting is that out of the car, both compressors act like normal. If I put my finger above the low pressure side inlet and manually turn the compressor wheel, I can feel suction on my finger. If I put my finger above the high pressure side outlet and manually turn the compressor wheel, I can feel air pressure building under my finger. It is like this for both compressors, old and new.

Pulling vacuum on system right now. Will let it sit for an hour and try charging again.

-Neil
        Last edited by Neil1138; 07-25-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I have never felt working A/C in an E30. I am still convinced it isn't a real thing.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Well, I got it working. Replacing the compressor with the original one did the trick. Not sure what was happening with the brand new denso unit. I pulled a DEEP vacuum on the system and left it overnight. Zero leakage in the morning. Charged by weight and put 28oz-ish in the system and the a/c works.

In Houston today it's 90-95deg outside with 50% humidity. The ac blows at 55-56deg with recirculate on. 35deg temperature differential is not bad, but it is not as good as my e46. I guess this is as good as it gets with e30 24v setups

Onto the next project. Will update

Comment

Congrats....I cannot wait to redo my A/C this winter....where did you get your compressor from?
              1997 Artic Silver M3
              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Updated my master parts list.

Comment

Haven't used the photography rig in a long time. Twas fun going out with it again.

<3

Comment

I want a rig so bad haha

Comment

<3

Comment

Another shot from today. Haven't done much other than just drive and enjoy it.

<3

Comment

Another rig shot of the e30. I think this makes #4

<3

Comment

Nice shot! The car is looking good as usual.

Comment

oh man. your work never ceases to amaze. very cool, Neil.
                              sigpic

Comment

Had a bit of fun a while back

<3

Comment

Working...
                                X