76 2002 M20 Turbo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dylanhat
    replied
    Originally posted by deutschman
    I had to smash the bell housing area of the tunnel as well. I am assuming you have removed all the sound deadening that used to be in the firewall/tunnel?
    Most of it was removed. Am going to run a 242 instead.

    An update for everyone. I have decided to team up with some other 2002 guys and have created a website to sell 2002, e21, e28 and e30 parts. I will be making trunk boards and center consoles for the 2002. The name is Neue Motorsports. The website will go fully live around the start of next month. Bookmark it for now



    Today I received a Getrag 242 which should be the solution to all the problems I am having.




    One of the things for Neue Motorsports will be powder coating parts. If you have M10, M20 valve covers and intakes you want done you will be able to send in your core and have it done.

    Did this today:






    Will know by the end of the weekend if this transmission will work.

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    I had to smash the bell housing area of the tunnel as well. I am assuming you have removed all the sound deadening that used to be in the firewall/tunnel?

    Leave a comment:


  • Dylanhat
    replied
    I always forget to update my thread on here. Currently looking for a Getrag 245 that will mate up to the M20, came in the 323i E21. Old updates to follow.

    Well we have figured out why the engine wasn't sitting right and lining with the drivers side mount. It happens that I accidentally got a prototype mount from the company who made the M20 conversion mounts. It explains why we couldn't get it to line up remotely at all. So I have a replacement coming in the mail. Great customer service btw. Battery cable has been run and fuel lines are being run. Once the mount comes in we should be in business to get everything slapped in and get this project finished 5 months later...... its a swap so what can I expect? In the meantime I have stripping, blasting and powder coating some components.

    Rattle can paint


    After sitting in the stripper tank


    Surface rust that forms


    Sand blasted


    Everything is going to be redone in black

    Everything with this build has been stopped because of motor mounts. The mounts that I bought have not worked at all so am switching over to manimals. In the meantime I got some of my parts powder coated.

    Sand blasted


    Coated


    I am working on redesigning and building new 2002 center consoles. Working on getting a cup holder into the design and a better use of the space.



    Will be using wood to build them


    E30 fuel pump installed


    Pulled the old steering wheel


    Wrapped in electrical tape to make it fit #jdm


    I have come to a crossroads with my build now. I can either continue to cut out sheet metal or try and find the Getrag 245 that was in the euro 323 e21. I am opting for the 2nd because the condition of my car is pretty good. No reason to mess up a clean car. Worst comes worst I can always cut more.

    The issue I am having is the bellhousing area and the pedal box area of the transmission tunnel. Not sure if I have to move the pedal box but it may have to be if I continue with the Getrag 260. While tearing apart my car I discovered my passenger side floor pan is rusted out. Going to weld in a new pan so I don't have to mess with this at a later date.

    Another update, I am working on starting my own company to sell 2002 and e30 parts. It will be similar to the Heist's Tailored Supply Co but my own spin. I am currently working with some other individuals to carry their products in addition. My focus is going to be center consoles and trunk boards to start with. More info on that in the coming weeks.

    Now for some photos.

    How the Manimal Mounts arrived


    Brought them into work and sand blasted them


    Wet black powder


    Picked up this Stahl header. Debating on selling in this condition or powder coating and ceramic coat




    Floor pan is gone


    Engine attached to the subframe but with the tranny on I can't get the subframe back in place


    Manimal Motor Mounts


    Drivers side


    You can see I thoroughly beat this section of the tunnel

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    I have those same seats in my e30 and LOVE them. But I think I will sell them for something a bit lighter soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dylanhat
    replied
    So another update. To start GO SEAHAWKS! The engine and tranny and almost in just having problems with the driver side mount. Isn't lining up. In the meantime we moved onto pulling the interior out. Pulled the old plastic fuel line that goes through the cabin because it isn't needed. Am going to be running fuel lines under the car. While there we added the battery cable so we are able to have the battery in the trunk. Currently figuring out what to do with the ecu. Most likely building a metal box that will be stuck inside the engine bay so I can still use my glove box. Bringing in some parts to get stripped and powder coated this week also.

    Pulling up the carpet




    Rear seat out


    Off to be powder coated


    Seats came from an E21 320i


    Another photo of the seat

    Leave a comment:


  • Not_the_stig
    replied
    Enjoy that flywheel man! I gotta come by an check this thing out!

    Leave a comment:


  • Der Ruffian
    replied
    E28 M535 rear.

    Originally posted by deutschman
    Amazing...

    Leave a comment:


  • Dylanhat
    replied
    Thanks guys. Sorry for no update. From my Stanceworks thread:

    So an update. Sadly I will be unable to turbo the car until I can put together another $2000 to $2500 so I can have custom halfshafts made and figure out the rear subframe situation. Because the 2002 diff blows up at 200hp it will not suffice so have to either go with an e30 subframe or mod the 2002 subframe. Not sure which way I will go, the e30 makes the car wider in the rear. So what I have decided to do is getting the car running and driving naturally aspirated for now sadly. Once I can put together the funds I will just use the parts I have already collected, no reason to lose my ass on the parts. The engine is going in this weekend with the NA setup which includes a Bimmerheads cam. Some photos.

    Picked up a JB Racing Flywheel today


    Recent photo


    Been delayed due to flywheel and flywheel bolts


    Because wing


    Gift from one of my brothers


    325i oil cooler to be used


    Catuned clutch line. Great quality.


    Frontal


    Great combo, GXSR and E30 M3


    Beneath the battery tray


    Before and after


    Good backyard fire. Must have been 18-20ft tall


    Some more photos to come this weekend

    Leave a comment:


  • E30NJ
    replied
    Nice to see a clean 2002!

    Leave a comment:


  • Not_the_stig
    replied
    Looking good man!

    Leave a comment:


  • 318isbmw
    replied
    I just let Dylan know about this thread and the questions posted. I do know the car has an e21 diff already swapped in by the previous owner. Dylan verified it last time he was over working on the car. For now we're going to be doing just an NA m20 due to money and time. We installed a Bimmerhead's cam in it last weekend, and dylan worked on knocking out the transmission tunnel to fit the getrag 260. It sucks we won't have a speedo for a while, but it'll be worth the wait when we swap in something stronger. In the future, when we do the turbo it will have some sort of a stronger diff, not sure which direction Dylan is going to go, but I've got several e30 diffs, so we'll probably go that route. Last on our list is to find a single mass flywheel. We've been having one hell of a time with that, but it's the last thing on the list before we can get the motor mounted.

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    Here you go.
    http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/1101...hl=m20%20turbo

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851
    The 2002 rear end remains durable up to about 200 hp, it is much weaker than E30 components.
    Yeah the OP should consider ether building a hybrid LSD using a 2002/e21 case and e30 small case internals (I did this, not to hard), or installing a e28 rear sub frame which needs moving of the control arms and some welding. If you go with the e28 sub frame you will have a few choices of diffs, thicker CV axles, bigger brakes, and the sub frame bolts right in. Down side is you will have 5 lug in the back, and the control arm mounting points need to be cut off and moved inboard by I think 3mm to match the original track width. I saw a guy in northern Europe do this. Ill try and find the thread.

    EDIT: The sub frame gets 7cm taken out of it. Not sure if thats over all or each side. Id ask the guy.
    Last edited by deutschman; 12-26-2013, 11:33 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by 88SuperETABD

    My only worry is can a 2002 take 350+whp. cuz thats what I want my motor to make on boost.

    Especially since e30 CV's break.


    The 2002 rear end remains durable up to about 200 hp, it is much weaker than E30 components.

    Leave a comment:


  • 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Update Please...I may be picking up a 73 '02 tomorrow. its a rolling chassis with no rust...and im buildin a 2.9L m20 as we speak for my e30, but things may change now.

    You making your own motor mounts? Getrag 260? 325i e30 driveshaft? what diff?

    My only worry is can a 2002 take 350+whp. cuz thats what I want my motor to make on boost.

    Especially since e30 CV's break.

    Leave a comment:

Working...