New to E30s, my cheapo 1985 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to E30s, my cheapo 1985 318i

Hello, I picked up a 85 318i that had been sitting in front of a woman's house for two years with a fuel leak for cheap. I've started into it with no real knowledge of E30s but a general skill level of a shade tree mechanic. Here is the latest pic of her with springs installed -

She's is an M10 motor 318 which is good for me because I have a 1985 Toyota MR2 all race ready with the same power and same wheel bolt pattern. I already replaced the guibo but found out I need to replace the drive shaft bushing so I get to do it all again next weekend. I have not checked the motor yet but no oil loss or coolant loss so I think its good. I'll check compression next. Currently the plan is to make it into my Auto-X car and maybe when I get tired of the MR2 to transition it to mt track day/race car. Oh yeah, here is a nice pic of the guibo when I pulled it out, probably same one that came on the car from the factory.

looks good. may want to replace the timing belt and water pump for preventive maintenance. I'm not as familiar with the m10 as i have a m20 but would imagine they need a timing belt and water pump over haul to

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

M10 is timing chain.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
        M10 is timing chain.
        See like i said dont know much about m10.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

So been doing a little here and there to the car. About to tear into it and do all the front suspension courtesy of Pelican Parts plus new rotors and stainless steel lines. Also have a leak in the radiator so that going to get replaced as well. So many things to do and so little time to do them in.

On the positive side, since the seat was busted I went ahead and sprang for a Corbeau FX1 plus put on an NRG quick release steering wheel. I've had them on my MR2s before and likes the quality for the price.

Comment

Working...
          X