Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

phenryiv1's 1989 325iC Project - SETA 2.7i Swap Complete and Running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work Pat...I see the e30s have a hold on you... :)
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
      Nice work Pat...I see the e30s have a hold on you... :)
      This is my 4th one. I had 2 e36s and was actually looking for an e36 sedan or a Wrangler (or maybe a late model e30 coupe) but when the e30 convertible came up I just jumped on the idea. I have been a car enthusiast for over 20 years and have owned 38 cars and this is my first convertible.
      Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
        This is my 4th one. I had 2 e36s and was actually looking for an e36 sedan or a Wrangler (or maybe a late model e30 coupe) but when the e30 convertible came up I just jumped on the idea. I have been a car enthusiast for over 20 years and have owned 38 cars and this is my first convertible.
        Nothing wrong with that...I'm finding I have less and less time to wrench these days and I'm glad my S4 has been cooperative.

looking forward to seeing the progress with your vert.
        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
          Nothing wrong with that...I'm finding I have less and less time to wrench these days and I'm glad my S4 has been cooperative.

looking forward to seeing the progress with your vert.
          I daily a 2011 WRX and so far that has been a good daily (other than the poor MPG). The convertible is just a toy, but I am really looking forward to getting it on the road.
          Patrick Henry

Comment

BIG pile of needed parts. Unfortunately the DSSR that I needed for this weekend was not in the box. I called about it Thursday since this weekend was supposed to be the shifter refresh but there was no way to get it to me Saturday. Another weekend lost...

Also snagged one of these:

And since the car lacks a headunit at this point, I took this one (removed from my brother's Cherokee years ago and now collecting dust) until I find a more suitable permanent option:

Patrick Henry

Comment

Somehow I forgot to upload the picture of the new-to-me "is" wing that arrived yesterday. The one on the car looks like @$$ and I wanted to get a clean one.

I also took some time this weekend to paint a spare valve cover. I know that wrinkle black is all played out but I really lacked the creativity to do more.

I also painted my Z3 1.9 shift lever. Why? IDK.

Researching paint I saw this page. Not perfect but gave me some ideas. Parking it here. http://mybuildgarage.com/2010/10/198...e-restoration/
              Last edited by phenryiv1; 04-01-2014, 07:29 AM.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Just ordered the MB Quart OA1100.5 amp to go with the GAS / Lukebox V2 that I ordered last week. I don't know where I will go with respect to a headunit but I am leaning Pioneer.

SonicElectronix is an authorized vendor for MB Quart and they did the amp for $175 with free shipping so it was tough to pass up.

Onyx Series 5-Channel Class D Car Amplifier
                Channel 1-4 Max Power Rating:

4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
                2 ohms: 150 watts x 4 chan.

Subwoofer Channel Max Power Rating:

4 ohms: 350 watts x 1 chan.
                2 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.

The size (9-7/16"W x 16"D x 2-1/4"H) should work well along the back wall of the rear seat/trunk/Lukebox
                Patrick Henry

Comment

More parts on the way, more parts arrived.

I decided to go ahead and order a proper headunit. Pioneer DEH-X7500HD http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X750...H-X7500HD.html

Crutchfield had it on sale for $100 with free shipping. Specs are good, particularly the 6-channel 4V preouts and the fact that it has both HD Radio and a rear-mount USB input. Sure, it looks like crap compared to last year's model but functionally it is exactly what I wanted.

I also got a picture of my new-to-me "is" rear wing

I was bored yesterday evening so I cleaned up and high-temp painted my spare exhaust manifolds. Silver is boring but it works.

Also received my UUC DSSR. I ordered this a couple weeks back and it was dropped from the shipment. I missed the ability to get the shifter refresh done this past weekend but life goes on.

Patrick Henry

Comment

Dang keep it up!
                    Originally posted by Ty13r
                    if you scream while doing it you'll gain extra power. worth a try.

Comment

A little more in the parts department (I have got to start some installation soon).

So for no good reason I ordered a ZHP knob from getbmwparts.com I liked the Bilstein in my track car but I just wanted something different. I should have just done the ZHP from the get-go, but live and learn.

Next up, a replacement knee panel came in. I miss the days when (on the racecar) I just tore out and ignored any interior part with bad wear. Now I am spending $25 here and $50 there on interior parts that just look nice. At any rate, this one is a lot better then the one that came in the car.

And the headunit that i ordered yesterday arrived. Gotta love being in the 1-day delivery zone for Crutchfield...

Hopefully this weekend I can get on some installation. I'd like to tackle the shifter refresh, as all of the parts have finally arrived.
                      Patrick Henry

Comment

Very cool! Great build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Recent Rebranding!!
                        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                        E30 SM62/S62
                        E30 M60 V8
                        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                        Instagram.com/garageaholic
                        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Nothing got accomplished this weekend because at the last minute I found a sitter for my kids and I went to D.C. with my wife to cheer her on in the Cherry Blossom 10-mile race. Some things are worth far more than wrenching time.

I did get my amp. It is bigger than I thought but I have some ideas for a mounting location.

Patrick Henry

Comment

A little more progress, though nothing major.

I started the disassembly of the current shifter setup the other day. It is amazing what you find when someone half-assed your car before you got it. This was the rubber shift boot that is under the decorative boot:

There was paper all wadded up in there and it was clearly intentional. It wa sfolded neatly and wedged into the folds of the rubber boot. It had been there so long that it was stuck to the boot, plus the boot itself was a crappy shape. Looks like it is tie to order another one of those. I wish just once that I could buy an e30 that did not need this part. Maybe someday.

I also did some poking around in the shifter linkage. The bushing in the rear bracket is totally shot, which is what leads to all of the movement in the shifter. The front portion seems pretty tight and even the single selector rod joints actually seem pretty tight. I will still be replacing the single rod with a DSSR anyway, but I could probably get away with just doing the rear carrier stay/bracket and the plastic shifter cup, if I had to. Of course, we don't do things on these cars because we HAVE to, so the Z3 1.9 shifter will get everything around it replaced anyway.

I also received my ZHP knob in the mail. In my previous e30s ('86 325e, '87 325 [eta], '88 325 [super eta]) I never worried about looks, or really much on anything other than building a purpose-built track/race car. Since the '89 will be a street car I decided to go a little nicer so I bought this knob. I am really impressed with the quality and feel. I am looking forward to getting the shifter parts updated and getting a feel for shifting with this knob.

Unrelated, my V2 'Vert Lukebox shipped so assuming that the premium speakers in the car are in good shape, I have everything that I need for my audio install, save for the signal and power cables. Who knows when I will get to the install, but at least I have most of what I need either here or in transit.
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

Moar new parts...ordered that inner shift boot (25111220912) and 6x copper exhaust nuts (18301737774) copper nut at manifold. Also need some seat parts but I'll get those later.

Patrick Henry

Comment

So some fun and some non-fun. I got the car up on the lift this weekend and started the disassembly of the shifter mechanism. First off, that balancer is still on the driveshaft- major PITA. That thing has to go.

Next, I trued to remove and replace the rear shifter carrier bracket (the one with the rubber part that wears out every time you get a sloppy shifter) and there is no way to do it without tiny hands and/or removing the driveshaft...and the heat shields...and the exhaust. Shit.

So I decided to mess with the DSSR a bit, just to see how it fit. I first had to file down the plastic built-in bushings/isolators on the Z3 1.9 shifter to make it fit in the forks of the UUC DSSR. Why UUC has not adjusted the forks out to make them work with the OEM shifters is a bit of a mystery. These shifters have had this issues for 5+ years now.

Next I removed the old shifter and shifter cup. Not that it matters, but this may not be an OEM shifter. It is quite different in construction, but maybe there were some production changes.

A little more piddling around with the car revealed that despite being a late '89 car, it still has the old-style transmission joint, so the DSSR won't work with it anyway. Fun...more parts, more delay. I ordered a replacement joint (25117503525) and am awaiting that.

I have had the ca rin the garage since I got it and am in need of the space to do some work on my daily driver, so knowing that I was going to have to remove the exhaust and driveshaft to replace that rear bracket, I moved the car off of the lift (it is a scissor floor lift that lacks an open center) and put it up on ramps in the driveway. This frees up space in the garage and for the first time since I got the '89, I actually parked my WRX in the garage.

Since I am still awaiting the replacement top, a tarp has been used to keep things dry for the time being. Since the car is being fully repainted I was not too worried about the scuffing.

I also received a ton of trim parts, a replacement front valance and bumper brackets, and some interior parts. More on those as the time comes.
                                Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                                X