1990 325is Bronzit Beige Metallic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Ordered up a SHIT ton of parts and they have finally all come in. Some heavy work in store for the e30 here soon. Mainly just tune-up maintenance parts...I'll let the pictures do the talking.

All laid out.

Brake rebuild - My rear rotors were just all torn up, so i ordered a full setup of rotors/pads. While I'm in there, I'm going to rebuild the calipers and paint them matte black. ECS Stainless Steel brake lines.

Tune up time - New IE plug wires, Bosch Copper plugs, Bosch Distributor/Rotor, Bosch Fuel Filter, Bosch Oil Filter, ECS Magnetic drain plug, Mahle Air filter..

Other parts - IE steering guibo, new negative battery terminal (mine is cracked), Victor Reinz Valve cover gasket (gonna shoot it with VHT wrinkle paint while its off), VR Manifold Gasket (probably going to wait until I get some headers, not worth dealing with all that rust).

Fews hours of work to put in, just need to find time to do it. I have a 4 day weekend here for Memorial day, but I feel like it is going to be filled a booze filled weekend to kick off summer. And since I live 2 blocks from the beach, I'll probably be there all weekend.
    sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Late introduction

By the way, I guess I never properly introduced myself. I just jumped into the game and started posting.

My name is Tyler, live in VA beach, and work in a hospital system doing IT support. This is my first BMW, but I've been wanting one for sometime...mostly an M3, but I'll "settle" for now. I will obtain one in the future.

Here is a rundown of my previous/current vehicles.
      1st - 1990 Toyota Celica 5spd - Maroon on Maroon haha
      2nd - 1998 Honda Civic 4 Door 5pd - Green on Tan
      3rd - 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6spd - Black on Black - LOADED - never should have sold that thing...
      4th/Current - 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi - White on Beige - I hate this thing, I can't wait to sell it. My first and probably only automatic vehicle. Thing does have some quickness though.

So there I am, R3v...Take it or leave it, because I'll be posting either way!
      sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

That interior looks great, I especially like the shift boots. How is the keyless entry? Most of those e46 style ones I see also have alarms that most people don't like.

Keep up the great work. :up:
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
          That interior looks great, I especially like the shift boots. How is the keyless entry? Most of those e46 style ones I see also have alarms that most people don't like.

Keep up the great work. :up:
          Thanks man!

Yeah the kit came with a whole alarm system, but I just installed the keyless entry part. Only problem I have with it is the quality of the e30 key blades. I had to order them separately off eBay. They are pretty flimsy, almost like a silver coated plastic. Hopefully they don't break off in my ignition.
          sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Parts installed Update

So I got a majority of those parts installed last weekend.

Brake Rebuild
            Only ran into one issue with these...on driver's side front caliper the bleed screw was completely broken off inside the caliper. Luckily I was able to use an extractor bit and got it out.

Picture break down

Cruddy Calipers

Prepping for paint

Cleaned up

Painted

Rebuilt completely

Front installed with ECS brake lines

Rear installed with ECS brake lines

Finished Product

Engine

Got the Bosch Distributor Cap/Rotor, Bosch Plugs, IE Plug wires, Air filter, an Oil Change, and installed the VR valve cover gasket, and painted with VHT wrinkle black.

Before

Valve Cover off

Cleaning

Painted (stunk up the house when I baked it)

All finished up

I didn't get to replacing my fuel filter. The rubber lines going to it looked pretty brittle and old, so I want to replace those at the same time. Didn't get to the steering guibo either..

Next up on the list is probably the cooling system flush/possible rad replacement. Also want to tackle the "Driver Side" of the engine. Meaning pull off the intake manifold and paint it, clean/inspect or upgrade fuel injectors. Once that comes out and off, I'll probably do the steering guibo. Much more access that way.

But in the meantime...Drive the shiiiit out of it haha
            sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

nice work so far keep it up.
              I also installed that steering guibo and i like how it feels, make sure you loctite the bolts and mark the bolts with white out or a paint pen to quickly do a visual inspection to see if they have rotated out.

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Thanks Man, I will definitely do that when I get around to tackling the guibo. I'm still acquiring parts to hit the "Driver Side" of the engine compartment.

Funny thing, I ran through your entire 38 page thread last night haha
                sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

Not to much going on...just some cosmetic mods

Got my Euro Plate Filler installed. Also put on my alumni license plate frame (Longwood University), but I don't have a pic of that.

Painted My IS spoiler with Plasti-Dip as well..

Painted my IS Lip with Plasti-Dip, installed back with all new black clips and Ryan-G lip splitter. Ordered it 3 days before he put it on sale..

Put on my Yakima Racks/Fairing - it's beach cruiser season. They will come off for the winter. I'll use my Jeep if I'm going snowboarding anywhere.

sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

Soooo what a couple months this has been. Finally got the e30 up and running (with a few small issues to iron out).

Started out with a slew of new parts to fix the oil leaks/running hot during idle. From there things snowballed. Basically here is the TL; DR version - which is still fucking long

First round I Replaced:
                    Oil Pan Gasket
                    Cam Shaft seal
                    Crankshaft seal and Intermediate seal
                    Water Pump
                    Timing belt and tensioner
                    Clutch Fan
                    Intake manifold gaskets and painted manifold
                    Throttle body gasket
                    Radiator with Mishimoto
                    T-Stat
                    All coolant hoses
                    Accessory Belts
                    Rebuilt injectors
                    Steering guibo with IE version

Second Round replaced:
                    Fuel filter and fuel filter lines
                    Replaced Alternator with Re-manufactured Bosch
                    Replaced Battery with new Bosch
                    Alt/Ground wire with upgraded from BavRest

Third Round replaced:
                    Exhaust System - IE headers->Magnaflow Y-Pipe->Magnaflow Cat->Vibrant muffler

Fourth Round replaced:
                    Stupid fucking leaking injectors I rebuilt with rebuilt M50 from Mepeh

Fifth Round replaced:
                    Manifold gaskets again
                    Intake Manifold gasket
                    Camshaft end plugs
                    T-Stat again with OEM temp this time
                    Blue Temp Sensor

Photo Documentation
                    What I started with

What I ended up with (minus new exhaust)

Look at this shit hole - leaking about a quart a week

New parts

Progress

Rad New Rad

Replacing seals

Leaky fucker

Fresh

New alternator

Steering guibo

Fuck you leaking fuckers - basically the reason why I replaced my exhaust because I thought the cat was clogged. Finally got it back on the road after a bunch of set backs, then driving home the car boggs down so i pull over and the cat is LAVA hot and smoking like crazy. I limp home, proceed to order exhaust components, get it installed (without ever driving it after that night). CLOUDS of smoke after new exhaust. Back firing like crazy, and an obnoxious fuel smell. Figuring its these assholes...I pull the fuel rail and intake manifold...one of the ports is completely FULL of fuel. PLUS two of the damn pintle caps are missing completely - nowhere to be found. I got really lucky that they didn't bend any valves...so replaced the injectors with rebuilt m50s and its driving great.

Smoking Cat

Old gone

Stuck exhaust stud

New exhaust setup (don't have any pics on the car)

Which leads me to where I am today - took from the Middle of August until about 2 weeks ago. A LOT of time waiting on parts and finding time to work on it. What a learning experience for sure.

NOW I have to figure out this surging Idle issue - I'm trying to track down a vacuum leak and I'm going to clean the ICV and AFM. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

Also need to add a resonator to the exhaust set-up - definitely too loud and too much drone/rasp.
                    sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

So its been a year since I purchased this car. So time for a minor thread update. Nothing major has happened. It's been cold so I haven't wanted to do anything.

I got the exhaust welded up at local shop. Not too happy with the fitment and sound, so I need to go back and get it reworked. I purchased an inline magnaflow muffler to go after the cat.

I redid my cluster (Again).

Before:

After:

Got a new ICV

I have also been stacking some parts preparing for my suspension rebuild/5 lug conversion.

Parts:
                      5 lug kit - waiting to be shipped
                      Spare front and rear subframes that I will get sandblasted and reinforcements welded in
                      Z3 Steering rack, Z3 Shifter, Z3 Antenna base (scored all 3 for 68 bucks)

Future Parts (waiting on funds)
                      Going e46 M3 front brake setup
                      e39 5 series rear calipers/e46 rotor non m-rotor
                      Coilovers (GC hopefully)
                      Skid plate
                      2-piece 17inch Style 5's
                      And much much more.

I am supposed to be doing some IT work for a new body shop that is opening next month. I'm hoping to trade my services for some bodywork/paint!

More to come in the future..
                      sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Great build. Lots of ideas in here.
                        sigpic

'88 325is-daily
                        '89 325is-project
                        '84 633csi-its there
                        '00 528i-daily (wrecked)
                        '01 525i- sold

Comment

1990 325is Bronzit Beige Metallic

Nice build man! I recently got some injectors rebuilt and the pintle caps are really loose fit, and I didn't trust installing them. I'm happy I read this now!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by VBe30 View Post
                            Thanks Man, I will definitely do that when I get around to tackling the guibo. I'm still acquiring parts to hit the "Driver Side" of the engine compartment.

Funny thing, I ran through your entire 38 page thread last night haha
                            cool cool

nice headers

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                              Nice build man! I recently got some injectors rebuilt and the pintle caps are really loose fit, and I didn't trust installing them. I'm happy I read this now!
                              yeah man don't do it! Those caps will end up inside your engine. Luckily I don't think they caused any damage in mine, but the potential is definitely there.
                              sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

So been quite awhile since I have updated this thread.

Picked up a new e30 in April..so I've been swapping over all my good parts to the new e30! Plan is to swap all the parts and sell the Bronzit. I have also been collecting tons of parts in preparation for the Bronzit..they now belong to the Alpine

Pics:

Did all Red tails

A more substantial update in the future. I went all out on black Friday..

Full Ground Control Setup Ordered
                                Huge package from Garagistic
                                Condor Steering Guibo
                                RevShift Subframe riser bushings/Diff Studs
                                Brake pads/Lemforder trailing arm bushings from Rockauto
                                Chase Bays AN HP Power Steering Line
                                FAG Front e36m3 Wheelbearings/Rear wheel bearings - Lemforder rear swaybar bushings from BavAuto

I am 98% complete in gathering parts for my 5-Lug Nasieg conversion. All that is left is send my e46 Steering rack to Rackdoctor, Wheel studs, 1-e38 style 5, and tires.

Oh and this guy is lurking in the corner as well..

Last edited by VBe30; 11-29-2016, 06:13 PM.
                                sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Working...
                                X