325is Stage Rally Build - No Rally Experience Whatsoever :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325is Stage Rally Build - No Rally Experience Whatsoever :D

Well, I have this E30. I got it cheapcheapcheap on Craigslist, have had countless issues with it. fixed many times over the past year.

So, the block is in the machine shop, along with the head. Will be ordering engine parts soon. Rebuilding the engine because low compression, breaking rocker arms every two weeks, clunking noises. yayyy..

I'm going to start stripping the interior, (if you want to buy any of it, LMK). idk how much effort i'll put into removing the sound deadening and stuff, we'll see. Going to buy a pre cut and bent roll cage kit and weld it in.

planning on getting Bilstein Sports, keeping stock is springs, gonna do a huge homemade aluminum skid plate. I may need a new gas tank. I already put in all new OEM rear bushings. front suspension is under attack next, may be easier with the engine and trans out! :)

If anyone has any suggestions for ANYTHING let me know! otherwise, i'm just winging it. lol

And we'll see from there. :)

here are the photos in it's current state:

Last edited by wakeboardr42393; 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM. Reason: shrunk photos
    '87 325is [because racecar]
    '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
    '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

hounds tooth is the coolest
    "I wanna see da boat movie"
    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
      hounds tooth is the coolest
      hellllz yeahh. if i had a decent e30 i'd want it to be houndstooth for sure.

Comment

@phenryiv1: ty for the links! :)

Comment

current shopping list

here's my current shopping list, missing anything? yes. lol

Order from independent supplier:
          07129904858 - hex nut w/plate (for valve cover. from dealer it only comes in packs of 10,
          so order somewhere else.)
          51711874203 - expanding nut (for blower motor cover)
          07119916808 - hex head screw (for blower motor cover)
          exhaust flanges for middle of pipe
          mid exhaust mount
          camshaft

order from dealer:
          ENGINE:
          11781716114 o2 sensor
          21111225047 (x2) bellhousing sensor plugs
          34331115926 brake booster vac hose
          11727545323 fuel pressure reg. vac line
          07129925742 rad mount nut
          07119916886 and screw (top driver’s side)
          07129952119 (x2) upper rad. hose clamps
          18301737774 exhaust collector flange nut (x1)
          11761711717 (x2) exhaust collector gaskets
          07119915047 overflow tank mounting screw (x1)
          07129952115 overflow main hose clamp
          35411152744 throttle cable to intake manifold brace GROMMET
          11811132527 rear engine buffer?
          11811132323 (x2)engine mounts
          18211105635 rear subframe exhaust mount
          07119900052 CSB bolt spring washer
          coolant
          rebuild
          11141716134 - clip for timing cover
          07119963151 drain plug gasket
          11331271429 (x12) rocker arms
          11151714390 intake manifold vent tube o-ring
          11151280937 intake manifold vent washer
          11129059240 cylinder head gasket set
          11621711954 (x12)exhaust manifold to head nuts (x12)
          07129908134 (x4) exhaust manifold studs (x4)
          11421266773 oil filter
          07119913612 harmonic bnalancer bolts(x2)
          07119963441 oil filter housing gask
          11421714764 filter hous o ring
          11429059338 oil releif valve kit
          11311267746 cam belt tension spring
          07119932095 washer for larger bolt on rear main seal carrier
          11121726478 headbolt set
          11111730875 engine block gasket set
          11341706583 (x12) valve springs, outer
          11341706584 valve springs, inner
          rings, bearings

SUSPENSION:
          DS front sway bar bushing holder
          front swaybar bushing nut (x2)
          W/E:
          07119905511- turn signal bulb
          PS boots and clamps
          strut top nut cap
          PS drain plug

Tools:
          valve adjustter tool
          misc extensions
          15/16 metric equiv. ½ drive socket
          22mm ½ drive
          8mm line wrench
          moly kote 2

Comment

Before you get the cage, make sure you touch base with an inspector/scrutineer from whatever series you plan to run (Rally America, NASA rally, California Rally Series, etc). There are specific cage requirements that may or may not be met by a "pre-made" cage , and it you make it wrong and not to their specs, you won't be able to run anywhere, and will be out a lot of time and money.

Strongly suggest you spend some time on specialstage forums, and dirtyimpreza.com is also a good source of rally information that is newbie-friendly.

expect for a slow/entry-level stage rally car build, you're probably going to end up dropping $5k in gear above the cost of the car (two pairs of HANS-compatible harnessess can run you $500-1k, for example). Rally computers, safety gear, etc all adds up. Rally tires are also about $1k per set new and will last maybe 2-3 races if you wear them all the way down.

You may know all that, but just letting you know in case. Before doing any special stage rally things (cage, safety, etc) I would go to some rallycrosses and talk to any stage guys that run there, the go work a couple stage rallies and talk to people, and then do a ton of reading before you drop any big coin on the main build.
            Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop
            visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

thanks man, yeah I've sent multiple emails to different people listen on the Rally America site over the past year, and have gotten zero replies. So i'm not sure what's up with that.

The cage is supposedly made for rally america, so i'm hoping it is haha. and yeah i think going to a few rallycross events would be a good idea. :)

ty for the advice!

Comment

There are several strong rallycross clubs in Ohio SCCA worth checking out. Ohio Valley Region has a lot of RWD guys as well.

Don't email people on the RA site, talk to people who do RA stuff.

The dirtyimpreza forum is THE place to start for rally-related information. People there WILL talk to you and there are a bunch of good sticky threads in the rally prep section.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Well, long time since update. cold and snowy in ohio lol. here's the car with stripped interior, before removing the carpet and associated vents. Removed it all for prep of cage installation.

Comment

another missed update form the early winter:

I've had the engine at a place called Michael's Racing Engines (near Macedonia) for several months now, and have not heard back from them. I took the engine parts there to get cleaned, block honed, crank polished, head deck resurfaced, new valve guides, valve grind, and everything measured. They are supposedly a reputable engine shop.

I think what happened was they pressed out the intermediate shaft bearings, and when i brought the new ones to them, they didn't realize it was an unfinished bearing and needs to be machined., and they had no way of doing so. They told me they were gonna try to make some tooling to machine the bearings. that's the last I've heard from them. I haven't heard from them for months since then. they told me they would call when they got it done. it's kind of irritating. i thoguht the basic block and head work wouldn't take more then a few weeks. that was in the summer.

So i'm debating going there today. I don't want to be charged a rediculous price for tooling and time if they didn't get the bearings installed. I don't feel that it's my fault. but we'll see. maybe they lost my number or something. haha

On the other hand, as far as progress goes, I picked up a cage kit made by Cage This, from a guy names Kris who does "slapdash racing" (cool dude) in Rhode Island, and plan on welding it in my car sometime soon.

I have the interior almost fully stripped. If you want any of my unneeded interior parts lmk!

Comment

Rear defroster switch assy shipped to 17323 if you're parting with it?

Thanks homie!
                      -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Yeah, Kris knows cages. They have a good rep. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the cage run you? (you can PM me if you prefer).
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

hey buddy, i'm keeping the rear defroster switch for now. sorry for the late response lol; I just noticed the new posts.

And the cage kit was $1100 i think. I don't see it on eBay anymore; not sure why.

Comment

BTW, i got my engine back. intermediate bearings not installed. they still charged me for everything they did do :P. I've been talking to Teddy at metric mechanic about sending them the engine to install the bearings. not sure if i'll jump the gun and do it or use a spare block i have that is not already machined. I do want to put in a good word for Teddy at metric mechanic, though. He has taken over an hour of his time over several phone calls to talk to me, explain things, and answer all of my questions thoroughly. He seems to have a very fine detail-oriented, get everything perfect attitude, which appeals to me, and is very hard to find in the auto repair industry lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X