Norwegian Drift-30 '86 325 Turbo drift build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norwegian Drift-30 '86 325 Turbo drift build

Hello everyone, I'm Simon, 24 years old from Norway, and self diagnosed petrolhead.

Previously I have been involved with a drug called Subaru, and I still am, to some part.
    I've owned a 2008 2.0R (EU version of the 2.5) and a 2001 WRX, which was sold two months ago, to my dismay. Instead, I got a hunk of crap of a Legacy as a daily driver.

I made a deal with the wife (She's the one who wanted me to sell the WRX) that if I sold it, I'd be allowed to buy a track car. So I picked up a '86 E30 325i, which is an unfinished turbo build project.

I will tear down everything the last owner has done and start anew, to ensure everything is done right.

I started the teardown today, removed the doors, went through all the parts that came with the car (Everything was crammed inside) and started with taking off the front fenders and a few things inside the engine compartment.

My garage is messy now.

Engine compartment

The inside has seen better days.. The previous owner has started some rust removal.

I went to town with a grinder on the left fender as it was all brown from surface rust.

Someone removed the spare wheel well and put this here.. It's not even fastened!

Current to-do list:
    • Strip the car totally
    • Sand down the interior and exterior, aswell as rust removal and welding. (Boy do I have a hell of a job ahead of me...)
    • Weld everything that should be welded
    • Paint interior, underneath the car and engine compartment
    • Check the engine and ensure I have all parts for the turbo build
    • Get a LSD and camber plates. (I already have the coilovers)
    • Perhaps do something to increase steering angles. Tips anyone?
    • Get a rollcage put in and painted.
    • Rebuild dashboard to "Make more sense" to the cars future usage.
    • Paint the car.
    • Drop in the interior and engine, turn the key.

That's it for today, thanks for reading!
    My 325 Turbo drift build thread

perfect candidate for a drift car.. ill be surprised if this doesn't turn into another great Norwegian build.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbag30 View Post
      perfect candidate for a drift car.. ill be surprised if this doesn't turn into another great Norwegian build.
      Yeah, I hope so too! ;)

Comment

Seeing as I am a complete nooblit on things concering BMW's, I have a question.

Will I need to change the gearbox for the turbo build, or will it hold up? I believe I have the 260 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturifto View Post
          Seeing as I am a complete nooblit on things concering BMW's, I have a question.

Will I need to change the gearbox for the turbo build, or will it hold up? I believe I have the 260 now.
          Just about everyone here uses the stock gear box. You'll be fine, just get a good clutch.
          Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

I think you ground too much, I don't see any fender there.

Originally posted by Sturifto View Post
            I went to town with a grinder on the left fender as it was all brown from surface rust.

Comment

Hah yeah, good point. Need to get all the proper english part names down.. :)

Comment

Yesterday I continued the teardown, and removed a bit of wiring, the radiator and Intercooler, and drained the coolant from the engine.

Starting to look more open now.

Tested my new sander aswell.

Hopefully I will be able to drain the oil and remove the oil pan tonight, so I can get the engine out before this weekend when my kid brother is coming over to help me sand and grind the thing down.

Comment

This has a lot of potential. What turbo are you using, and how much power do you expect to make?
                  If life passes you by... Downshift.

Comment

Sweet. Its hard to get away from the Subaru..ive tried many times and yet to succeed. Your build looks awesome though! A lot like what I want to do with my e30
                    Check started threads for stuff for sale!

Current:
                    '86 325es---5.0 Work in progress
                    2002 is300

Comment

Well, the turbo that the PO bought off ebay was a td04e. Ill stick with it until something breaks, I'm more for just getting seat time asap.

This kit should be capable of 220-240 whp without tearing the stock internals apart as far as I know. :)

Comment

Not much of an update, I only got about an hour in the garage yesterday, which was spent draining the engine oil, removing some more wires, a bit of the dashboard and the inner fenders. No rust in there, wohoo!

In other news, I bought a nice welder, for only 200$ :D

Analogue clock anyone? :)

My workbench currently.. Need to get it cleaned up..

Comment

Anyone know what's in this thing?

Comment

Power steering fluid.. Nice build!

R.H.D
                            M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
                              Power steering fluid.. Nice build!
                              Ah, thanks. I'm like I said unfamiliar with BMW, haha

Hopefully lots will get done this weekend. I've set my eyes on at least having the engine out and the engine compartment and chassi sanded. (Not including underneath the car).

Good thing my kid brother will be going wild with the sander, so I can focus on more important things, like watching him work...

Comment

Working...
                              X